X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Mayor's Race 2004 - Chapter 2

Originally posted by lillian l. hong
    I went thru the mayoral debate on Olelo on Wednesday, September 8, 2004. 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Time went thru so fast, Mr. Bob Rees did not have time to ask a single Q to Mr. Teruya. There were 8 of us. Mayor Fasi, and Mr. Gibson were not present. I was very nervous at first, then OK, later. I got up this morning (September 9, 2004 ) at 6, so I can have a cup of coffee and watched the re-run from 6:30 a.m. to 8 a.m. This was the first time, and I think the only time, all 10 mayoral candidates were invited to attend. I did OK. Olelo's crew had audio problems, time clock problems, camera switching problems.
    To-day, I went to set up for our Douglas Trade Show in NBC for the week end show.
    I picked up some Chinese food and rushed home just made it in time for Joe Moore at 7 p.m. I watched every minutes of it. It is very different from Olelo's the night before. Everything about the video production was fine. They are professionals! What do you think about Mayor Fasi?
    Is he a character or not? He is still in demand, even Joe Moore had to yield to him! To me, Mayor Fasi does not look like 84, he surely does not act like 84, either. I do believe he will pick up some more votes from this program.
    What do you think?
    Love, Lillian Hong

Dear Miss Hong:

I would like to thankyou for the honor of finally meeting you. The mayoral debate was very enjoyable even if we ran out of time and I didn't have a question asked of me. I felt that I had enough to say but as usual Mufi and Banium were going at it again. Enough bashing already, lets talk solutions not bad stuff. Isnt it a shame this is the one and only debate we will have seen each other and presented real answers to the public. Well gotta grab some sleep with my two jobs I need the rest.. thanks again and take care.

Terrence Koichi Teruya
    Mahalo Terrence K. Teruya

Comment

Originally posted by terrence k. teruya
      Dear Miss Hong:

I would like to thankyou for the honor of finally meeting you. The mayoral debate was very enjoyable even if we ran out of time and I didn't have a question asked of me. I felt that I had enough to say but as usual Mufi and Banium were going at it again. Enough bashing already, lets talk solutions not bad stuff. Isnt it a shame this is the one and only debate we will have seen each other and presented real answers to the public. Well gotta grab some sleep with my two jobs I need the rest.. thanks again and take care.

Terrence Koichi Teruya
      Hi, Mr. Teruya,
      Thank you for responding my note. I know you are younger than I am. I was not expecting this younger. Especially with your fashionable hairdo. You spoke well. You looked very calm and knowledgeable, with TheBus and Honolulu Police Dept. Even with the big 3 are everywhere in the newspapers , radios, & TVs, let's give ourselves some hopes. We also have the freedom to dream. Good luck to your mayoral run. Good luck to me too.
      I am doing the Douglas Trade Show now over the weekend. I have to go back to see my 2 doctors about my side effect which caused by the medicine that cured my gout on Monday. Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday I will be in the strret walking, wearing my sign, and waving my sign also. Then Friday I 'll go to NBC again to set up my jewelry & gift show for the weekend for the Woman's Expo. Talk about one job, 2 jobs, 3 jobs! We little people really work so hard to make a living, and our government spent our hard earn money like water! I got 3 more votes from the people passing by in the trade show. Haha! Please take good care of yourself.
      Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Mahalo to whoever you are for voting for me in this poll. I got 5 Hawaii Threads' votes. I am very happy. In real life, I got so far 8. I am improving every day. It is surely very very slow.
        I just finished my Douglas Trade Show over the weekend. I am going to wave sign in the street on Monday to Thursday. As much as possible. As long as possible. Then I have to set up Friday for my Woman's Expo--show on Saturday & Sunday. While all other candidates are trying their last minutes' effort to win some more votes, I will be working in NBCfor a living. The show will finish by 9 p.m. on Saturday, September 18. By the time I go home, I should be able to see where I stand. Good luck to me. Haha!
        Mahalo again.
        Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Hi, Mr. Teruya,
          Thank you for responding my note. I know you are younger than I am. I was not expecting this younger. Especially with your fashionable hairdo. You spoke well. You looked very calm and knowledgeable, with TheBus and Honolulu Police Dept. Even with the big 3 are everywhere in the newspapers , radios, & TVs, let's give ourselves some hopes. We also have the freedom to dream. Good luck to your mayoral run. Good luck to me too.
          I am doing the Douglas Trade Show now over the weekend. I have to go back to see my 2 doctors about my side effect which caused by the medicine that cured my gout on Monday. Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday I will be in the strret walking, wearing my sign, and waving my sign also. Then Friday I 'll go to NBC again to set up my jewelry & gift show for the weekend for the Woman's Expo. Talk about one job, 2 jobs, 3 jobs! We little people really work so hard to make a living, and our government spent our hard earn money like water! I got 3 more votes from the people passing by in the trade show. Haha! Please take good care of yourself.
          Love, Lillian Hong
          Dear Miss Hong:

Thankyou for your comments, I am not that young... 45 years old... is that young? Only because I feel as you do that we are running out of time. Our city needs solutions fast. How many years do we have before we retire? We need crime, graffiti, infrastructure support and many other things taken care of now before its too late. Many times I too also felt why vote when the same type of leadership always wins. You know we can both run for office but I dont want to be handed the keys to a totally broken down city and people will expect miracles. You as well as I know that progressive action is what is needed to reach our final goal. If started now and the next mayor continues, then one day we will be caught up. Most people don't realize that the future is not tomorrow but it is what we do today that will shape tomorrow.... "get well soon"
          Mahalo Terrence K. Teruya

Comment

Dear Ms. Hong and Mr. Teruya:
            First of all, let me commend you both for your civility in what must surely feel like an uphill battle. Your courtesy and kindness towards each other in what has become an ugly battle of the titans (Hanneman and Bainum) certainly is refreshing.

I hope in the future you are able to retain your idealism and kindness and not become discouraged. I think you both speak for "the little guy" and I certainly wish you much aloha and luck in the future.

I once thought of running for public office, too, but then I realized what a fishbowl existence that would be and that maybe, just maybe, I could still make changes without having to subject myself to the mudslinging and namecalling that usually goes along with any political battle.

Please know that I respect both of you enormously, and send many mahalos to you for having the courage to make the sacrifices that you are making. Too bad I don't live in Honolulu...I would be proud to cast a vote for either of you.

Malama pono e imua!
            Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by terrence k. teruya
              Dear Miss Hong:

Thankyou for your comments, I am not that young... 45 years old... is that young? Only because I feel as you do that we are running out of time. Our city needs solutions fast. How many years do we have before we retire? We need crime, graffiti, infrastructure support and many other things taken care of now before its too late. Many times I too also felt why vote when the same type of leadership always wins. You know we can both run for office but I dont want to be handed the keys to a totally broken down city and people will expect miracles. You as well as I know that progressive action is what is needed to reach our final goal. If started now and the next mayor continues, then one day we will be caught up. Most people don't realize that the future is not tomorrow but it is what we do today that will shape tomorrow.... "get well soon"
              I like to take this opportunity to say thank you, Mr. Teruya for your wise words and wise thoughts. Hope you keep on going. When there is a will, there is always a way. There are only few more days to go to the election days. Keep your works going. I am waving in the street. Good luck.
              Love, Lillian Hong

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Dear Ms. Hong and Mr. Teruya:
                First of all, let me commend you both for your civility in what must surely feel like an uphill battle. Your courtesy and kindness towards each other in what has become an ugly battle of the titans (Hanneman and Bainum) certainly is refreshing.

I hope in the future you are able to retain your idealism and kindness and not become discouraged. I think you both speak for "the little guy" and I certainly wish you much aloha and luck in the future.

I once thought of running for public office, too, but then I realized what a fishbowl existence that would be and that maybe, just maybe, I could still make changes without having to subject myself to the mudslinging and namecalling that usually goes along with any political battle.

Please know that I respect both of you enormously, and send many mahalos to you for having the courage to make the sacrifices that you are making. Too bad I don't live in Honolulu...I would be proud to cast a vote for either of you.

Malama pono e imua!
                Miulang
                Hi, Miulang,
                I am still learning computer. I didn't know these threads are really interwining all over the places outside of Honolulu. Mahalo very much for your encouragement to me and to Mr. Teruya. Did you know Mr.Teruya is a very handsome man?
                I am a business woman. I always believe in intrade competitions. If your competitors are no good. They are no good! I do not have to worry, right?!
                If my competitors are good, and especially they are better than I am, I should take a good look at myself, learn from them, and improve my shortcomings, as soon as possible.
                I always believe knowledge can be taught and learned. I always believe experience can be achieved by participating and learning. I do believe kindness and kind heart come into you within, when you make your first cry when you are borned. This kindness will stay with you no matter what you encounter in your future life!
                I was lucky I have not changed my heart, even with the almost broken marriage in 1990, filing bankruptcy in 1999, I am still with the same heart.
                The problem I have is: I am unable to convince most of ThePeople in this community, whether they are voters or not,(They still can make a difference by talking to others) I will be the same person without changing my heart when I become their Honolulu Mayor. Their experiences, and including mine: once the candidates were elected, they showed us, ThePeople, their true colors. They, the elected officials, were good people from the community. Now, some of the famous ones were in jails, disappeared, fined, etc. Some of the unfamous ones, still in the state government & city government, are still doing harms to ThePeople who elected them into office to do good thing for The People. Most of the elected government officials told ThePeople, they will listen, they did. That's all they did. Left ear in, right ear out. Most of the government officials told ThePeople they will put people's needs first, their own's last. What we, ThePeople, saw, were, theirs first, People's last!
                How can I convince ThePeople I will not change my heart that was borned into me? I can learned whatever it takes to be a good People's Mayor, with the help from ThePeople in this community to solve their urgent problems & their urgent needs!
                Can you help me? Will you help me? I know you are not from Honolulu. If I saw your note, I always believe, there are many others saw yours also. You have already made a difference for me. Can you, will you, put in another big & last effort to help this little people, me, Lillian Hong, to run for Honolulu Mayor? As the newspaper stated that: the rest of the 7 mayoral candidates will probably garnish ~1%~ of the total votes on Saturday, September 18, 2004. I need a helping hand. Will you lend me yours?

~~~Calling for voters, vote for: Hong, Lillian Lai Lam Wang~~~

Love, Lillian Hong
                Mahalo again for the HawaiiThreads, I am interwining with YOU also.

Comment

Hi, Miulang,
                  I am still learning computer. I didn't know these threads are really interwining all over the places outside of Honolulu. Mahalo very much for your encouragement to me and to Mr. Teruya. Did you know Mr.Teruya is a very handsome man?
                  I am a business woman. I always believe in intrade competitions. If your competitors are no good. They are no good! I do not have to worry, right?!
                  If my competitors are good, and especially they are better than I am, I should take a good look at myself, learn from them, and improve my shortcomings, as soon as possible.
                  I always believe knowledge can be taught and learned. I always believe experience can be achieved by participating and learning. I do believe kindness and kind heart come into you within, when you make your first cry when you are borned. This kindness will stay with you no matter what you encounter in your future life!
                  I was lucky I have not changed my heart, even with the almost broken marriage in 1990, filing bankruptcy in 1999, I am still with the same heart.
                  The problem I have is: I am unable to convince most of ThePeople in this community, whether they are voters or not,(They still can make a difference by talking to others) I will be the same person without changing my heart when I become their Honolulu Mayor. Their experiences, and including mine: once the candidates were elected, they showed us, ThePeople, their true colors. They, the elected officials, were good people from the community. Now, some of the famous ones were in jails, disappeared, fined, etc. Some of the unfamous ones, still in the state government & city government, are still doing harms to ThePeople who elected them into office to do good thing for The People. Most of the elected government officials told ThePeople, they will listen, they did. That's all they did. Left ear in, right ear out. Most of the government officials told ThePeople they will put people's needs first, their own's last. What we, ThePeople, saw, were, theirs first, People's last!
                  How can I convince ThePeople I will not change my heart that was borned into me? I can learned whatever it takes to be a good People's Mayor, with the help from ThePeople in this community to solve their urgent problems & their urgent needs!
                  Can you help me? Will you help me? I know you are not from Honolulu. If I saw your note, I always believe, there are many others saw yours also. You have already made a difference for me. Can you, will you, put in another big & last effort to help this little people, me, Lillian Hong, to run for Honolulu Mayor? As the newspaper stated that: the rest of the 7 mayoral candidates will probably garnish ~1%~ of the total votes on Saturday, September 18, 2004. I need a helping hand. Will you lend me yours?

~~~Calling for voters, vote for: Hong, Lillian Lai Lam Wang~~~

Love, Lillian Hong
                  Mahalo again for the HawaiiThreads, I am interwining with YOU also.
                  Dear Ms. Hong:
                  I hope you prosper after the election. Sometimes I wonder if politics is meant for honest, decent people who want to make changes. I have seen many people in elected office start out with high ideals and honesty and yet along the way something happens and they end up, as you pointed out, in jail or in the headlines in an embarrassing manner. Someone once said, "Power corrupts" so that even well-intentioned people get sucked into the money, power and influence-mongering of the special interest groups. After all, once elected (if you can get that far), it will take money to stay in office and before you know it, you end up being beholden to some faction or other. If an honest politician were to stick to the high moral ground, I think that person would burn out before long...there are not enough honest politicians around to even form a support group...everyone has some skeleton in the closet.

Yes, Ms. Hong, there are many people who were born and raised in Hawaii who now live up here on the Mainland. We are concerned as you are about the deterioration of a life in Hawaii that we fondly remember. And there are quite a few "expatriots" who also come to this forum to check out the pulse of the islands. For us, being away from the islands doesn't mean we don't care what happens to it. Maybe someday some of us will return to help you and Mr. Teruya in your cause...if we could afford to work and live there!

A hui hou,
                  Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Dear Ms. Hong:
                    I hope you prosper after the election. Sometimes I wonder if politics is meant for honest, decent people who want to make changes. I have seen many people in elected office start out with high ideals and honesty

Miulang

reminds me; a gal who we knew in our church, small keed time, entered politics, thinking she could effect a change.
                    As friends, ohana and backers, we did da sign wavin' funky chicken thang on the side o da road many times.
                    her name was
                    Diana Hansen.
                    She gave it her all.
                    As I recall, politics was just too much of a snakepit for her.
                    I give her an "E" for effort tho.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      reminds me; a gal who we knew in our church, small keed time, entered politics, thinking she could effect a change.
                      As friends, ohana and backers, we did da sign wavin' funky chicken thang on the side o da road many times.
                      her name was
                      Diana Hansen.
                      She gave it her all.
                      As I recall, politics was just too much of a snakepit for her.
                      I give her an "E" for effort tho.
                      I believe in fate. I believe in fun reading of our Chinese zodiacs signs. How on earth you mentioned a snakepit in your story? I do not know Diana Hansen.
                      I am borned in the year of the snake. Going into a snakepit is rightfully my home. Maybe I am the right person? It depends solely on your trust in me, an unknown person to you. Because the snakepit is my home, I will clean up, and make it the best home for me, my family. my friends, my co-workers, & my neighbors to live, and to visit.
                      As in real life, to me, the snakepit is the City Hall. If I am your Honolulu Mayor, I'll take good care of your city hall as the best I can as if I am taking care of my home. Can you trust me? Will you have me?
                      Love, Lillian Hong
                      P.S. Almost last pitch before September 18, 2004 the election day

Comment

Dear Ms. Hong:
                        I hope you prosper after the election. Sometimes I wonder if politics is meant for honest, decent people who want to make changes. I have seen many people in elected office start out with high ideals and honesty and yet along the way something happens and they end up, as you pointed out, in jail or in the headlines in an embarrassing manner. Someone once said, "Power corrupts" so that even well-intentioned people get sucked into the money, power and influence-mongering of the special interest groups. After all, once elected (if you can get that far), it will take money to stay in office and before you know it, you end up being beholden to some faction or other. If an honest politician were to stick to the high moral ground, I think that person would burn out before long...there are not enough honest politicians around to even form a support group...everyone has some skeleton in the closet.

Yes, Ms. Hong, there are many people who were born and raised in Hawaii who now live up here on the Mainland. We are concerned as you are about the deterioration of a life in Hawaii that we fondly remember. And there are quite a few "expatriots" who also come to this forum to check out the pulse of the islands. For us, being away from the islands doesn't mean we don't care what happens to it. Maybe someday some of us will return to help you and Mr. Teruya in your cause...if we could afford to work and live there!

A hui hou,
                        Miulang
                        Thank you very much for your down to earth, straight forward note from far far away. Computer is so amazing! Because of running for Honolulu Mayor, because somebody told me to get into e-mail, here I am since June/July, 2004. I was told by the programming director from Olelo, one can pull the programs out from Olelo's on air programs,to "anywhere" from www.olelo./ org. So far I am unable to do that.
                        I do things one day at a time. I think things one day or more, at a time. I only have one more day to wave in the street, Thursday. As for Friday, I have to go set up my Woman's Expo in NBC for Saturday & Sunday's show for a living. The show closed at 9 p.m. By the time I get home, I'll know my status.
                        Just want to take this opportunity to say thank you to all of you~HawaiiTthreads~for having me on your e-mail. Mahalo to you all for reading my notes. Mahalo also for your encouragements and kind words.
                        I saw the van with "HawaiiNews", in down town area one day last week, I am unable to open the site from here. I still have a lot to learn.
                        Wishing you all have a happy day. Please take good care of yourself, your family and your loved ones.
                        Love, Lillian Hong
                        P.S. Just in case, I am unable to open this site to-morrow and in the future.
                        I want to make sure you know my nahalos. Haha!

Comment

I believe in fate. I believe in fun reading of our Chinese zodiacs signs. How on earth you mentioned a snakepit in your story? I do not know Diana Hansen.
                          I am borned in the year of the snake. Going into a snakepit is rightfully my home. Maybe I am the right person? It depends solely on your trust in me, an unknown person to you. Because the snakepit is my home, I will clean up, and make it the best home for me, my family. my friends, my co-workers, & my neighbors to live, and to visit.
                          As in real life, to me, the snakepit is the City Hall. If I am your Honolulu Mayor, I'll take good care of your city hall as the best I can as if I am taking care of my home. Can you trust me? Will you have me?
                          Love, Lillian Hong
                          P.S. Almost last pitch before September 18, 2004 the election day
                          Interesting you should mention Chinese astrology. I am either an Ox or a Rat person, depending on which account of dates you want to believe. I like the traits associated with both signs, but I think I am more rat-like than oxen. Heehee! Maybe I should be a politician, too, yeah?

Miulang

Comment

Interesting you should mention Chinese astrology. I am either an Ox or a Rat person, depending on which account of dates you want to believe. I like the traits associated with both signs, but I think I am more rat-like than oxen. Heehee! Maybe I should be a politician, too, yeah?

Miulang
                            Just a short note:
                            Selling chinese jade zodiacs is one of my trade. The difference of me and others is I asked my customers to read the little stories as "fun reading". I also asked them to look into other schools of chinese zodiacs. There are many many others.
                            I was waving in front of the State Capitol around 2 hours. Then I went to Chinatown to pick up some jewelry supply. I went back to City Hall after 4 p.m. The absentee booths had closed. Restriction of no political activities within 200 feet had been lifted. I waved for about 15 minutes. Volunteers from Senator Dan Inouye lined up in front of me, and in the back of me. I kind of "disappeared" in the crowd. So I said good bye to them in a very friendly manner (one of the volunteers did offer me that they can move across the street). I figured, it will be easy for me to move, because I am just a lone person. So I went back to the State Capitol for around another 1.5 hours of waving. I am all done with my political life, for now. I am getting ready for my Woman's Expo. I don't know about my future, until Saturday around after 10 p.m.
                            I do believe, I always can dream. I always can hope.
                            Love, Lillian Hong
                            P.S. Surely this is not a short note. As you said, "Heehee"

Comment

Mahalo to whoever you are. I got 6 votes from HawaiiThreads. Hurrah!
                              Love, Lillian Hong
                              P.S. I read in the newspaper, 7 of the remaining mayoral candidates, including me, should garnish altogether with a 1% of the total registered votes. I hope the newspaper is wrong.

Comment

You saw my van, Lillian? Hope I was driving responsibly...

Good luck to you, at the expo, and in the election! The paper might have predicted you and seven others would share only 1 percent of the total vote, but I can tell you that you got at least 33 percent of the vote in my household (among registered, likely voters).

Comment

Working...
                                X