Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    We will have to keep our eye on the maternity wards come next October.

Wonder if there will be a spike in births?
    If the blackout lasted 12 hours. What else could I do with the rest of the 11 hours and 59 minutes?

Comment

my wife, daughter and i just finished eating at the ala moana shopping center when the lights went out; u can imagine what it was like with hundreds of people trying to drive out at the same time without any traffic signals! people were very cool, tho; i didn't see a single driver blow his cool.

in fact, the coolest sight was seeing a civilian with a weak flashlight directing traffic in slippers on keeaumoku! people were shouting "you're doing a great job man!" from their cars.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Power out 6:15pm, 26th, back on 12:45pm, 27th - ahuimanu Valley.

Mo better than New England in mid-winter 1972, light's out for ONE WHOLE WEEK!!! (I was there!) Wood fire heat, freezers waz outside, no phojnes, no nothing!
        Last edited by Kaonohi; December 27, 2008, 10:52 PM. Reason: ihtyg liqwfq
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          Anyone heard from Auntie Lynn?
          Auntie Lynn was at the Kau Kau Wagon's Christmas of Hope today giving out slippahs and spreading her aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            I don't think we lost power during Iniki (1992), at least not on Oahu. I remember the power outage during Iwa (1982) ... it eventually resulted in rolling blackouts, the first time I ever heard that phrase.

Speaking of rolling blackouts, we haven't experienced much of that in recent years. Now, we get total blackouts. Then a slow but steady restoration of power. Did something change between then and now?
            Good question that certainly deserves an informed answer from the powers-that-be at HECO.

The rolling blackouts, of course, referred to HECO not being at 100% capability in the days following Hurricane Iwa. So at night, some neighborhoods had their power and other didn't. But if you had your lights, you couldn't gloat because at a certain point, your power was liable to be shut off so that the previously dark neighborhoods would get their turn at having their power turned on.

The pros and cons of each situation are pretty obvious. With the rolling blackouts, at least some parts of the island had power, and you would at least have some hours of electricity. You could drive out to the areas that had power in order to buy whatever you needed from stores and restaurants. The disadvantage is that the rolling blackouts could be stretched out over a few days.

Yesterday's total blackout lasted for basically half a day. So the good thing was that virtually everyone got back their power within a day. The bad thing is that while the island is totally pitch black, it's hard to find restaurants and businesses that are open. And what few are open are packed to the gill with customers.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Any looting occur?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                Power out 6:15pm, 26th, back on 12:45pm, 27th - ahuimanu Valley.
                Power out 6:45pm 12.26.08 in Waikiki; back on 7am 12.27.08 same place. Very quiet for the most part, except for one drunk yelling "whoooooo.... whoooooooooo.... whooooooooooooo"... then eventually a bunch of folks yelling back, "shut up!". To which he obliged. lol

We went to the Koreamoku Walmart that Saturday morning to stock back up on some emergency preparednesss supplies, when it appeared EVERYONE ELSE had the same thing in mind, as the Coleman/Camping aisle in the back right corner of the store (by the toys) was PACKED with post-blackout shoppers; an area normally abandoned. They should have had news crews there. Would have made great 6pm broadcast material.

By the time we got there, most of the flashlights were wiped out. Still had plenty batteries though.

They have some HUGE plastic water storage containers I might consider getting a few of.

At around 10am when we originally wanted to shop there, as of yet the Kaheka street Don Quijote was still without power. By 2pm they were back.

In case you don't have one already, Don Quijote sells the Portable Butane Stove for just $13.99 and $1.17 for each butane canister. This in comparison to Walmart who sells another brand of the same thing for $24.99. Perhaps better quality, yet hard to say when you're talkin' Walmart.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                  Any looting occur?
                  There were early reports of looting at a store on Queen St., but when the HPD was interviewed, they had no knowledge of such a thing happening.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

This article on the Honolulu Advertiser's website seems to answer a few of my questions about the level of robustness engineered into HECO's grid.

I'm getting the impression that it was two simultaneous (or near-simultaneous) lightning strikes on the northern and southern corridors that triggered the cascade, but that's not the official word. They're still looking into it.

Comment

kudos to whoever was working at the star bulletin's website the night of the power outage. the SB posted breaking news items about the airport, tourists in waikiki, estimated outage duration, etc. what did the advertiser have? twitter? bwahahahahaha. so much for shiny new facilities in kapolei and a web staff many times larger than the SB's.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Oceanic came back on about an hour ago. Telephone, Computa and Cable. I'm not complaining. We got to clean and I went to give out Slippahs at Christmas of Hope yesterday.

The night of the power outage. The lights flickered. I was on Twitter. Told my fellow Twitter Ohana to keep safe cause I was shutting down. It was about ten minutes. Antonio and I was in the living room. P.K. told us to stay put. He came back with all the equipment. Within half hour my whole hale was lit.

Yep, even my Christmas Tree.

We were prepared. We have a generator and lanterns.

We watched Videos.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

There were early reports of looting at a store on Queen St., but when the HPD was interviewed, they had no knowledge of such a thing happening.
                          Nor were there any reports of road rage gone amuck, despite the heavy and trying traffic conditions. I was in Waikiki that fateful night, and you didn't have people blaring their horns. Drivers were alert and patient, for the most part.

For all the talk about the decline of the Aloha Spirit, I sure saw alot of it on display during the blackout. Many another city would not have handled the situation half as well.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Nor were there any reports of road rage gone amuck, despite the heavy and trying traffic conditions.
                            One caller to KSSK mentioned 2 guys getting out of their cars and starting a fist fight. I heard nothing further about that incident.
                            [...]For all the talk about the decline of the Aloha Spirit, I sure saw alot of it on display during the blackout. Many another city would not have handled the situation half as well.
                            This is a common thread that runs thru trying times in Hawaii, I think. I witnessed an incredible amount of Aloha during Iwa, Iniki and also during that fateful day, Sept. 06, when the crane rammed the freeway overpass. My daughter, who was in the car with me for the latter event, mentioned the calm and humorous reactions of people on the road would never have happened in SoCal. She was pleasantly stunned at what she witnessed. Yes, afaic, there's still plenty of Aloha in the Aloha state!

Comment

I find it interesting that no one thanks wastewater treatment and disposal for their efforts which go around the clock in these times. They are called out to work and deal with situations that ultimately are infrastructure problems of many years that cause situations. I'm not discounting the efforts of other
                              public divisions but NO ONE ever thanks the WWT & D division for an area
                              of public service that EVERYONE CONTRIBUTES to resident and visitor alike
                              it's truly a THANKLESS JOB, my hat is tipped to our men and women in the Environmental Services Dept. responsible for that arena of our island.
                              All you ever see is the negative in the papers, radio and television. Step
                              in their boots and possibly there would be a more positive slant to their
                              efforts.

Comment

Cable and internet is still out.

Soooooooo, how were you able to post?

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                                On the bright side, the neigbors depleted their fireworks supplies last night, so maybe New Year's will be less of a war zone.
                                Hahahahahahahaha! You'll learn.

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
                                I hope & pray that the electricity NEVER goes out again.
                                <Sigh> It will. Trust me, it will.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Gotta go restore all our systems -- timers, security cameras, etc.
                                Security cameras? Kinda like to compare notes if you don't mind.

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                                Ironic how the electrical system can be shut down so quickly, yet to turn it back on it takes so long? [...]Does anyone remember power outages during Iniki?
                                What happens is the system becomes unstable and they end up pulling the plug to prevent things from burning out. Then it takes time to re-start the generators. For whatever reason, I don't think that happened during Ewa in 1982 or the unnamed windstorm a few weeks later. They did loose enough transmission lines that they couldn't power everyone at once, so they had to resort to rolling blackouts.

For most of Oahu, Iniki wasn't much more then a kona storm.

Other events from memory (and a little googling):
                                • July 13, 1983 (Watt-less Wednesday)- Trigged by a harvesting cane fire under a 138KV line.
                                • ???? - Defective transformer or breaker at the Kahe power plant blew. I think it was late evening so most everyone just went to bed. I think it was mostly resolved by morning, so the impact wasn't that big. They also may have caught it before the whole system crashed so it came back faster.
                                • April 9, 1991 (Tailspin Tuesday) - Tree branch touching a major line during morning peak load brought things down for most of the day.
                                • October 15, 2006 - Earthquake triggers generators to go off-line.

(See what I mean, Serenity? It's not "if", it's "when".)

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                                Wife wants me to get a generator. <sigh>
                                I'd suggest a Honda EU2000. Powerful enough to run a refrigerator, but very quiet. Just be sure to get a very big chain to keep it from "walking away". Not cheap, but like I said, quiet.

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                Don Quijote sells the Portable Butane Stove for just $13.99 and $1.17 for each butane canister.
                                The nice thing about butane is it's safe for indoor cooking (less carbon monoxide)

Comment

Working...
                                X