Wet and wetter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wet and wetter

Heck, I know streets and schools shut down fairly frequently due to rain and flooding, but the only time I was directly affected by rain-related closures was... you guessed, it, while living in Hilo. A particularly wet day prompted UHH to cancel classes.

I remember walking back to my dorm room, incredulous. "Hilo cancelling classes because of rain? That's like... Michigan cancelling classes because of snow, or Arizona cancelling classes because of sun!"

Comment

Could the tragic helicopter accident on Kauai be attributed to the effects of Jova? Survivors indicated that everything was going fine until the copter flew into a "wall of rain" and headed into the ocean.

"...interviews with the surviving passengers indicated the aircraft had been flying uneventfully when the passengers saw what they described as a "wall of rain."

"The helicopter flew in there. They couldn't see. And suddenly they were near water," she said.

Charnon said the pilot reported that on entering the system he maintained visual contact with the shore and was attempting to turn the helicopter to fly back out of the storm when he experienced "a rapid sink rate." Eckrote said the pilot also reported reduced rotor speed before his aircraft hit the ocean.

Residents have described the sudden thunderstorm that appeared over Kaua'i's north shore valleys as intense, with heavy rain and flash flooding, thunder, lightning and strong wind. Charnon's interviews yielded almost identical descriptions of weather conditions from the crash survivors.

They recall "thunder and lightning, and torrential rainpours" following the crash, she said...."

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

During my 4 years of going to UH Hilo, they only cancelled classes due to rain only once and it was kind of a big rainfall which went on for all day.

Comment

That flood we had in Hilo in Nov 2000 was the worse I've seen . 30 inches in 30 hrs.
          I can remember seeing the whole Hilo bayfront soccar area underwater.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

I should have mentioned that event happened in April of 1979. At the time I was working at Hawaii Community College as a student help and the building where I was working at had a dip in the ground about 2 feet deep. I don't know what really happen but the storm drain in the ground was stuck up and there was water in that dip. Some other students from the dorm on the other side of the dip got out the surfboards and was having fun in the water.

Comment

Geez. Somebody gave me a "red chiclet" yesterday (just after noon) for this thread. Guess I'd better not get into a discussion about what Tropical Storm Kenneth may or may not do, then.
              You all talk amongst yourselves.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help but chuckle at the name of the storm heading towards Okinawa right now:

Typhoon Longwang.

I'm sure it's a good name, in Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Typhoon Longwang.

I'm sure it's a good name, in Chinese.
                  it's a better name in English!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    it's a better name in English!

TRULY. I most certainly would have to agree with Kimo about this one. In fact, I agree with him quite a bit. Gonna have some pesto tonight, too, before the wind beats the life outta my basil!

I'm debating: end my afternoon with a Pyramid beer or start my evening with a glass of Chateau St. Michelle?
                    @
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      Well, it was much more than just "a little rain". As Cezanne noted, we're used to rain here on the windward side of O`ahu just like you are in Hilo. You may have noticed that we don't usually talk about the everyday rain, but in this case it was a full-tilt Flash Flood Warning, complete with entire sections of Kamehameha Highway totally submerged and closed, blocking all traffic between Kaneohe and Turtle Bay, and it also caused raw sewage spills, etc. So yeah, it was far more than the "just a little rain" that you're laughing at.
                      Do you get those problems because a lot of the natural drainage is gone due to overpopulation? BTW... It looks like we will see some rain again this weekend. I know it's better than a hurricane.... The only hurricane I want to see is that drink from the Hard Rock Cafe!
                      Last edited by alohabear; September 28, 2005, 06:02 AM.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                        Do you get those problems because a lot of the natural drainage is gone due to overpopulation?
                        No, the problems are from the horrible job the county of Honolulu is doing in keeping streams, catchment basins, bridges, etc., clear, allowing runoff to back up and build up.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Woo hoo!

Torrential downpour here in Mililani. A wall of water. Gutters are overloaded, blowing water several feet but still overflowing off the roof. The street's a river - walking in it to pick up my daughter from the neighbor's house, each step created a wake. It looked like I was water skiing standing still!

Had to shut all the windows - water was coming in sideways. Pulled out the flashlights, in case we lose power. May even lose cable and DSL, depending on how waterlogged things get.

Bright flashes of lighting, 10-12 second delays before the crash of thunder. How exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Woo hoo!
                            Bright flashes of lighting, 10-12 second delays before the crash of thunder. How exciting!
                            Storms are really exciting! Especially if you don't have to worry about driving or going to work. Maybe it's because they are "electrical," but storms just invigorate me!

It was cool how the thunder came so soon after the flash flood warnings on tv. I love these chilly nites---going to have to dig out the extra blankets!
                            Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              [...] Bright flashes of lighting, 10-12 second delays before the crash of thunder. How exciting!
                              Only one, brief downpour in Makaha today. I've seen a few, faint flashes of lightening far away but no thunder. All in all a very mild storm in my neck of the woods...not even a another drop in the nightly temperature.

Comment

Here's a lightning distance calculator. Type in the number of seconds between the flash and the noise and it will tell you how many miles away the lightning is.

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/survival/re...lightning4.htm
                                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X