The Manoa Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Manoa Flood

It was indeed fortunate that no deaths occurred, either amongst humans or, so far as I can determine, amongst the feline population. I did feel a shudder when hearing about those people trapped in the basement of Hamilton, having to break windows to escape the rising water.

And it does, given this event, make one wonder whether or not sensible research was done before building the Hamilton Annex.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      This would be a good time, I think, to mention that you can donate to the University of Hawai'i Foundation online. You can even specify exactly which UH program you want your money to go to. There's a category for "UHM Libraries - General / Unrestricted", which I suspect would be the best for helping Hamilton Library rebuild its collection. Please kōkua, folks. This flood is a real disaster for UH.
      On second thought, maybe not. Or at least, not because of the flood. An article in today's Advertiser pointed out that the state has insurance that will cover all of UH's flood response costs. Now, the rare documents and the spoiled research experiments, that's another story. No amount of money can help with those losses.
      On third thought, maybe donating to UH for the flood might not be such a waste after all. Officials are now worrying that UH's damage claim will exceed the state's $25 million insurance coverage limit.

Comment

Originally posted by paulyboy
        Perhaps this link will enlighten you a bit Craig:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/ev...Flood20041030/

Overgrown brush and silt had little to do with the stream overflowing its banks. I've lived in Manoa Valley my entire life and am a weather spotter for the NWS...the Mapunapuna flooding and the Manoa flooding had similar weather dynamics but very different flooding elements...truly unfair to compare the two.

By the way...about 5 years ago the Hamilton Library Administration decided to relocate the historical maps, etc. from the top floor to the basement....unwise?...perhaps, but it would be unfair to blame ANYONE at this point in time.

Hmmm been reading up on the damage assessment to the Manoa Flood and it looks as if debris did have a factor in the flooding after all!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Earlier this week, Ian Lind posted a link to these from-the-frontlines photos of the Hamilton Library flood collected by Susan Murata. Even though it's a user-unfriendly Javascript-based slideshow setup, the scale and impact of the damage comes through painfully clear.

Comment

man, what a disappointment. how could they have been so stupid? who would ever put the most important documents in the entire damn library,excepting the fifth floor war records room, into a basement into an area with a history of flooding?
            it really stinks for students with papers due, bad timing and all. but it also stinks for people that enjoyed browsing, not that hamilton had any books on recent bestseller lists but still.
            i think UH should provide free library cards to the state library to students and faculty

Comment

Hamilton Library was a mistake to begin with. First off it's too far from the dorms and it had very poor air circulation even with the AC system on! There were pockets of warm air in the 5th floor when I used to study there in the early 80's making research study very frustrating. Then at 10:30 pm every night they would stop the air handlers in preparation to shut down at 11pm.

By 10:45 you were literally gasping for fresh air as the AC ducts stopped bringing in anything. At 10:50 all the lights would flick off then on for an unnerving long five seconds giving you the final 10-minute warning to pack up and leave. If you were in the stairwells during that time and didn't know the procedure, panic would ensue.

Making the trek back to your dorm was an event in itself with the Manoa rain at 11pm. By the time you got back to your dorm room or your car you were drenched and cold.

And they wonder why they have mold and mildew problems there. When you shut down an AC system in a humid environment, two things happen, condensation (try stepping out of a car with AC into the rain with glasses and have them fog up), and the second thing that happens is the dry air (produced when an ac system dehumidifies the room air in order to cool efficiently) is replaced with damp humid air when the ac system shuts down.

Damp air and paper books are a bad combination. Manoa is really a terrible place to keep paper documents of any type (including priceless historic documents). Cool and dry is the appropriate place for paper, electronics, and medicines. Manoa is hot and humid, the exact opposite.

It all comes down to one fault: Poor government planning! As usual.

By the way aren't Hawaii State Library cards free? I don't know my wife usually takes care of that.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

UH's Hamilton library loss catastrophic
                Beverly Creamer, Honolulu Advertiser, Monday, December 13, 2004
                The Halloween Eve Manoa flood wiped out an estimated 95 percent of the 2.8 million items from the first floor of University of Hawai'i's Hamilton Library — including 800,000 government documents, books and pamphlets and a vast collection of microforms, videos, CD-ROMs and DVDs.
                I'm curious, though... how does a flood destroy CD-ROMs and DVDs? Unless they're stomped on, optical media like that should be fine despite an unscheduled bath. Even microforms, properly recovered, can be put back into service.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  I'm curious, though... how does a flood destroy CD-ROMs and DVDs? Unless they're stomped on, optical media like that should be fine despite an unscheduled bath. Even microforms, properly recovered, can be put back into service.
                  they may have gotten scraped up and damaged by the force and activity of the flood...

As a researcher who loves digging through archival material, this is a heartbreaking tragedy.

Comment

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03p.html

Comment

I just hope the UH can figure out some way NOT to keep valuable materials on the 1st floor or in the basement, because we just know there are going to be floods in the future in Manoa that cause the same damage as last month's flood.

I guess one of the good things is that a lot of that stuff had been microfilmed and there were copies stored somewhere, but still, losing all that original stuff is hard . I hope they don't do what some companies do when they "archive" stuff. They keep the originals and the copies in the same place! How lolo is that???

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Manoa Stream is touching the bottom of the Woodlawn bridge...
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

There's a police officer parked next to the stream, keeping an eye on it. That's good.

A bit of debris collecting at the bridge, the occasional tree trunk, but nothing bad. Hopefully all the cleaning and maintenance will pay off.

Rain is off and on. "Oh, da thrills." I'm sure home owners are a bit nervous, though.
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "

Comment

UH campus security came by to take a peek.

It's stopped raining and the sun is peeking out a bit. The water is below the bridge now. I guess that means the soil isn't super saturated, and is absorbing most of the rain.

Phew.
                            "

Comment

Working...
                            X