How to best battle the roaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to best battle the roaches

I unplugged my dell laptop charger the other day from the outlet in my room, and what do I find? a bunch of black stuff (eggs I asssume) and 2 baby roaches nexted inside the area where the laptop charger meets the plug in.

I had read that roaches love warm electrical places, so be aware of that.
    n'importe

Comment

Between the chickens outside my house, the geckos inside of my house, and my two inside cats that love to kill roaches I don't have much of a roach problem.

But I do have a problem with ants.

Comment

"But I do have a problem with ants"

Boric acid
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd forget about the toaster entirely, unless you're reeeally addicted to having toast. Clean it out really well, then store it until its needed. It will likely become a roach motel ! Sorry!
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

This may sound stupid, this worked great for us back on the mainland. Drill a small hole in the wall between all the studs up by the ceiling (put in small plugs when finished, that can be removed over and over) and shoot the Boric Acid into the walls. They were gone in a few days.

Comment

Buy one of those covers for your toaster, The one with the zipper works. Rubbers slippas good too!, especially for the b-52`s. Those buggas are on a mission!
              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Buy a lot of HoyHoyTrapARoach. Like, 5 packs of 5. Put out all 25 traps (it will cost you about $20, but be worth it). After about a week, you'll see a major reduction in cockroaches. As roaches get stuck in the traps, toss the traps away - the dead roach bodies are a source of asthma problems. Replace dirty traps with new traps. Don't let up. Put the traps wherever you see the roaches. If none are caught at a particular location in a week, move the trap to somewhere else. On kitchen counters, under kitchen sinks, under bathroom sinks, under the stove, alongside the refridgerator, on the bathroom counter by toothbrushes. Wherever there is water, or a drain (roaches come up through the drains).
                Keep at it.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Re: How to best battle the ANTS!

Originally posted by Gfoxx View Post
                  Between the chickens outside my house, the geckos inside of my house, and my two inside cats that love to kill roaches I don't have much of a roach problem.

But I do have a problem with ants.
                  "DEAD FAST" will stop them if you draw the chalk across their trails, but I don't (and the state doesn't) know how to eradicate them.

Lately I mix light tuna in water with liquid PIC and liquid TERRO. They eat it, but it's not helping eradication efforts.

I think we need a separate thread just to deal with these ants! (If you call the C&C, they're "Glaber" ants.)
                  Last edited by Kaonohi; November 4, 2008, 12:00 AM. Reason: Spelling!
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I managed to eliminate the little brown German cockaroaches using Dead Fast. I got it to control the ants, which it does, in areas, or blocks them for awhile, anyway. But it devastates the small roaches.

Follow the instructions: Draw a chalkmark "X" on the bottom of each drawer in tour house and they will be gone. (In my experience).

Glaber (little black ants) will go through $100 worth of Dead Fast and keep coming. You can keep them out of certain areas (by making a perimeter) but I haven't been able to eliminate them.

Good luck.
                    ~ ~

Comment

I had my first B-52 experience tonight. Jason and I had just had a "discussion" (we don't fight, we discuss ) and I was getting something out of one of our spare rooms when I saw him. The nasty thing was on his back with legs curled up, so I thought he was dead. Jason was getting the trash together and I had an empty toliet paper tube from our bathroom. Since I was still irritated and was all, "I'm gonna do this myself," I bravely approached it and poked him with the tube. He started flailing around, so I scooped him up really fast with the tube, dumped him in the trash bag, and tied it up. Whew! He was stuck to the floor. Jason said it was the roach bait.

At least he wasn't in OUR room....although I supposed it's just a matter of time. Now if those stupid ants would just quit biting me...

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. We are getting things under control. I think the apartment was empty for a while because they had REALLY moved in. We still see a few now and them but at least not everywhere we turn.

BTW: where can I get dead fast.

And has anyone used an exterminator they were happy with. Terminix quotes about $135 online which seems steep.
                        Last edited by desperado; November 7, 2008, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by desperado View Post
                          And has anyone used an exterminator they were happy with. Terminix quotes about $135 online which seems steep.
                          You can call a Terminix® Renewal Inspector direct.
                          PK @ (808) 847-2221.

Online: http://www.terminix.com/default.aspx

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hey,
                            This is my very first post here (Mahalo Ryan!) and I promise to write more later but I just wanted to say you might want to try diatomaceous earth . try typing this into google diatomaceous earth +roaches

Good luck but like someone said earlier, this is the tropics and roaches happen!

Comment

Re: How to best battle the roaches & ANTS!

DEAD FAST is avaiailable at all Longs Drugs, City Mill and mosy=t hardware stores.
                              Looks like a lipstick tupe, but with chalk i side. The chalk is DEADLY to roaches (both kine) and aqll ants, when they walk over it.

GLABER ANTS: It's good to keep them out of the house IF you can find their trails IN! OR: If you find a nest, draw a circle round it. POW, Make die dead.

Small roaches: draw an "X" under all your drawers. I don't know why, but it works.
                              This also reduces the B-52's, but dosn't eliminate them.

It stops trails of black ants, but then they send their family for revenge.
                              ~ ~

Comment

Has anyone ever tried those things you plug into your socket that emits a high frequency thing that's suppose to work on rodents and bugs?

Comment

Working...
                                X