• Show
Clear All

• What the hell are your beliefs?

How... and why, I know there is no hell:

The following is an actual question given on a University
    of Toronto chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so
    "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the
    Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of
    enjoying it as well, here on Hawaii Threads.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic
    (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law
    (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some
    variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So
    we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the
    rate at which they are leaving. I think we may safely assume;
    once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are
    leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different
    Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state
    that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.
    Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do
    not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go
    to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of
    souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of
    change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order
    for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume
    of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
    enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase
    until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell,
    then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman
    year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you", and
    take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then
    number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and
    has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since
    Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more
    souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven thereby proving
    the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa
    kept shouting "Oh my God."

(THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A")
    Last edited by kimo55; December 13, 2004, 10:17 PM.

Re: What the hell are your beliefs?

Originally posted by kimo55
    If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."
    What's problematic of the question is the supposition that Hell has any mass at all. Both possibilities indciates the supposition that Hell can expand indicating mass.

The correct answer should have been "unanswerable" because it has not been proven that Hell contains any mass at all. In science you must base your conclusion on data collection and analysis. This question is totally hypothetical and cannot bear an answer or conclusion because the scientific method of observation and thus analysis could not have been conducted to qualify an answer. On the spiritual side God does grant someone committed to Hell the opportunity to redeem their soals to heaven it's called tribulation and it's God's version of parole. This is Hell's pressure relief if it does contain any mass.

So what about Heaven? Heaven is infinate as described by the only known reference document known as the Bible. As such infinate means no boundries or ever expanding. Hmmm I guess there is mass after all. Thank God for tribulation.

I loved his answer however and as a Professor I would have given him an A for Amazing! However his answers were based on supposition and his own account of Theresa. I mean he did say she said, "Oh my God" however she may have capped that expression with, "...this is so bad!" Where was the witness to verify his account of experiencing Heaven! Oh I'm sorry they were all watching on his webcam
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

What's problematic of the question is the supposition that Hell has any mass at all.
      uh, it was a joke.
      "Hell" does not exist as a physical locale.

The correct answer should have been "unanswerable" because it has not been proven that Hell contains any mass at all. In science you must base your conclusion on data collection and analysis.
      uhhh, again; Science plays no part in nonphysical, paranormal "reality".
      and...
      There is no "correct answer".

This question is totally hypothetical
      uuuhhh... obviously.

and cannot bear an answer or conclusion because the scientific method of observation and thus analysis could not have been conducted to qualify an answer.
      dude. you think too much.

On the spiritual side God does grant someone committed to Hell the opportunity to redeem their soals
      (what da hell is a "soal"?!

(oh. You mean; "there soals")

to heaven it's called tribulation and it's God's version of parole. This is Hell's pressure relief if it does contain any mass.

Block that metaphor!!

So what about Heaven? Heaven is infinate as described by the only known reference document known as the Bible. As such infinate means no boundries or ever expanding. Hmmm I guess there is mass after all. Thank God for tribulation.

You bring up "the bible" !?
      Bible makes NO mention of "hell"

I loved his answer however and as a Professor I would have given him an A for Amazing! However his answers were based on supposition
      uhhh.... obviously, again...

and his own account of Theresa. I mean he did say she said, "Oh my God" however she may have capped that expression with, "...this is so bad!"
      Why; cuz Teresa said that to you?

Where was the witness to verify his account of experiencing Heaven!
      ok...

"In science"...
      redeem their "soals"
      Heaven is "infinate"
      infinate means no "boundries"

awrite! Once again:
      Who are you,
      and what have you done with our Craig Watanabe!?
      Last edited by kimo55; December 14, 2004, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        uh, it was a joke.
        "Hell" does not exist as a physical locale.

Sure it does, it's just about a two and a half hour ride away from where I live:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...actionNo==2456

Comment

LOL! Hi Peshkwe! Glad you're still stopping by. So how cold is it up there in the Northern Region anyway?

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            LOL! Hi Peshkwe! Glad you're still stopping by. So how cold is it up there in the Northern Region anyway?

Miulang
            Yeah I was busy for a lil while doing Pali's CD stuff and a press kit for Lono.

It was 18 this morning when I sent the kids off to school, supposed to get up to ummm....'bout 30 maybe but it's sunny out. It was snowing over the weekend.

Comment

I think hell could be anywhere. But it could possibly be a particular location too and it's influence is felt in lives of those who say "they're living through hell".

I wonder how people relate hell to really bad things and 7th heaven etc to really good things? Do you think they've experienced both in the past? Like actually being in both places?

Comment

If the So'le Youth Choir Group don't get betta in their singing & stop using vulgar language as their choice in communication...MWH will soon become HELL on Earth! That's HCDCH Mayor Wrights Housing, entrance on Liliha Street, right in the center of Honolulu! Can't miss it, The Officers for The Resident Association prohibits anyone from not acting like they live in Public Housing. The Devil himself told them. However, I can't find any book or article that explains how one acts like Public Housing. Da HELL WITH THEM! i'M GOING TO hEAVEN!

1stwahine
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Eh 1st Wahine, I take your name is Eve? And Kimo55 I knew this was a joke but I had to put in my 2-cents because if some professor did try to put a hypothetical question in an exam for scientific analysis I would use that arguement that question like that has no basis because there is no way to observe or collect any data to prove or disprove his question. But Kimo55 I still ova hea jus went lolo for choto time.

To me Hell is what you make of it. To a crack user, hell is a life of do-gooders surrounding his life. Heaven to a crack user is a world of crack cocaine with no bad side effects to mess him up.

But then to a crack user, Heaven is knowing there is no Hell to banish him to for using an illegal substance.

Life is good and I'm not complaining.

Comment

Eh 1st Wahine, I take your name is Eve? And Kimo55 I knew this was a joke but I had to put in my 2-cents because if some professor did try to put a hypothetical question in an exam for scientific analysis I would use that arguement that question like that has no basis because there is no way to observe or collect any data to prove or disprove his question. But Kimo55 I still ova hea jus went lolo for choto time.

To me Hell is what you make of it. To a crack user, hell is a life of do-gooders surrounding his life. Heaven to a crack user is a world of crack cocaine with no bad side effects to mess him up.

But then to a crack user, Heaven is knowing there is no Hell to banish him to for using an illegal substance.

Life is good and I'm not complaining.
                    Eh, Craig Watanabe! I dunno how I missed your question about my name being Eve cause my postname is 1stwahine!Anyways, if you gotta know it's Aunty Lynn like from da infamous Chinatown. 1stwahine is used cause I am the 1st Lady of Boxing in Hawaii...Promoted Pro-Boxing w/ partners as Chariot Pro-Boxing Promotions 2 The Neal Blaisdell Center back in the days! Add to that, I live in MWH, so no badda me next time! Nah, JOKE! Wishing you and your family A SAFE AND HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON!

eVE,aUNTY lYNN,1stwahine, whateva you want to call me!GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Comment

I figured "Eve" because the name 1st Wahine reminds me of the first woman on the face of the earth in the Garden of Eden and her name was...Eve as in Adam and Eve.

And MWH no badda me cuz when I was keed time I used to hang out with some friends at KPT! We used to joke: Eh watch out for the falling TV set when you walk around the broken furniture next to the buildings!

Have a good Christmas!

Comment

I figured "Eve" because the name 1st Wahine reminds me of the first woman on the face of the earth in the Garden of Eden and her name was...Eve as in Adam and Eve.

And MWH no badda me cuz when I was keed time I used to hang out with some friends at KPT! We used to joke: Eh watch out for the falling TV set when you walk around the broken furniture next to the buildings!

Have a good Christmas!
                        CraigWatanabe, You one funny guy! If I was Eve...I wouldn't have eaten the apple, nah, I probably would have too and then some! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Comment

If I was Adam and there was only Eve hanging around I wouldn't be eating the apple, I'd be eating Yeah Baby chow time, let's go forth and multiply...Heck da boss said so!

Comment

Halacocoleilei! Eh, wea da modarata! I'm suppose to be going to sleep, after reading your post...I gotta take an AMBIEN! heheheh

Comment

Isn't a soul supposed to be like 21 grams or something?
                              I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
                              X