Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xmas plans

What will you guys be doing for xmas?

I just remembered that my older brother (who is attending college at Michigan) will be coming home for 3 weeks! (its better than nothing, and I also have that much days for a vacation from school before finals). He came home last year during summer, but missed my graduation (he'll miss Thanksgiving also, but atleast he's here for xmas and new years).

*wipes tears from his eyes*

It'll be great, because this will the first xmas in a while that everyone is in the family (aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas, etc) all at our house. It's a family tradition to have xmas lunch at our house, but it'll be extra special because of the many faces that we've never seen in a while.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Xmas plans

This will be my first Christmas in my own home on the Big Island. Last year I had to return to Honolulu and leave my family up at our new home for Christmas because my doctor wanted to do my CTS operation so he could go home for the holidays.

Back then I had purchased my home in the summer and moved my wife and kids up there so they had a physical address to register for school. I stayed back in Honolulu to pay the bills until my wife got a job (one year later). During that time I would fly up every weekend until it got too expensive then it was every other week, then once a month.

My carpal tunnel operation was originally scheduled to take place just before the birth of my (now 10-1/2 month) son on December 15th 2003. My rehab was to take place during that time so I could take of from work and rest with my family.

I scheduled the operation the day before my son's projected delivery date. In the operating room they were going to sedate me when I told them that afternoon after the operation I was flying to the Big Island. They told me I had to cancel my flight because their policy was no flying while recovering under anesthesia. I told them I was going to fly anyway and they said if I was that adamant they would not operate.

So I suggested doing the operation without anesthesia. They looked at me as if I were joking. I wasn't. Nobody was going to stop me from seeing my last son's birth. I was there for all my other boys, I wasn't going to miss this one. I had to sign an indemnity form excusing the doctors of any malpractice if the operation went wrong as a result of no anesthesia. I did and that was the most painful 2-hours I ever experienced but I figured if my wife can stand delivering her sixth baby naturally under tremendous pain, I should experience that pain as well.

I ended up flying up to the Big Island for rehab but unnfortunately, the post op check up had to occur in Honolulu so I had to fly back the day before Christmas. I spent my christmas away from my family and vowed that the following year, the holiday season was going to be a great on in our new home together.

So this holiday season, will be a great one and pain free! You had to ask!
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; November 10, 2004, 08:40 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, did you at least get some local anasthesia? Novocaine maybe? I mean, they can't keep you from flying if you've just had a filling put in at the dentists... can they?

Comment

Nada, nothing, zippo. I felt everything! One thing about me is that when I feel pain, my threshold of pain goes up with every breath so eventually I overcome that pain. Eventually I simply don't feel it. Deep breathing to control any anxiety helps, I think it's very similar to meditating.

I think it's up to the doctor or dentist to decide whether you will fly or not. It's the liability issue that they're concerned about.

I've had root canal work done with no anesthesia either, I was working at a radio station (KHVH) and had to go on the air within an hour and the talk radio host for that hour was a dentist (can you figure who it is?). For about a year he kept telling me I had to come in for the dental work but I told him I work 7-days a week and there's no time, so that Saturday before his show, he brought his little torture kit with him and told me he was gonna do a field root canal right here in the studio. When he was prepping the novacaine I told him, "are you crazy? I can't get all numbed up just before I crack the mic, I'm gonna sound like Ifufu Takamoto when I talk"

So he did it and I experienced what it was like to have a spear slice right thru your head. But right after that, I was fine and the root canal was packed and ready for the filling later on. We went on the air and I described the pain.

Comment

Speaking of dentists, (well, sorta), whatever happened to that singing dentist that used to practice here?
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Nada, nothing, zippo. I felt everything! One thing about me is that when I feel pain, my threshold of pain goes up with every breath so eventually I overcome that pain. Eventually I simply don't feel it. Deep breathing to control any anxiety helps, I think it's very similar to meditating.

I think it's up to the doctor or dentist to decide whether you will fly or not. It's the liability issue that they're concerned about.

I've had root canal work done with no anesthesia either, I was working at a radio station (KHVH) and had to go on the air within an hour and the talk radio host for that hour was a dentist (can you figure who it is?). For about a year he kept telling me I had to come in for the dental work but I told him I work 7-days a week and there's no time, so that Saturday before his show, he brought his little torture kit with him and told me he was gonna do a field root canal right here in the studio. When he was prepping the novacaine I told him, "are you crazy? I can't get all numbed up just before I crack the mic, I'm gonna sound like Ifufu Takamoto when I talk"

So he did it and I experienced what it was like to have a spear slice right thru your head. But right after that, I was fine and the root canal was packed and ready for the filling later on. We went on the air and I described the pain.
            Chee, you one brave buggah... I'm really, really afraid of the dentist. I recommend a good dentist in the Ala Moana blg. named Dino Dee. For minor cavities instead of drilling he uses a process called micro-abrasion, similar to sandblasting. No vibration, no anesthetic, no pain. I had HDS ins. and everything was covered except the fillings, since he used tooth-colored rather than silver. Unfortunately here in NYC I haven't been able to find a dentist covered by my crappy ins, plan who uses the process, and I'm chicken, so it's been a while since I've been to the dentist. Maybe I'll go for the exam and x-rays here and if I need work done go to Dr. Dee when I go home on vacation next summer, even if I gotta pay for it myself.
            Yet another reason why IMHO it sucks living in NYC.

Comment

And what about the disco dentist with the light-up dance floor in his waiting room?

Comment

But back to Xmas. We're having the traditional family Christmas dinner at Aunty's house. Aunties, uncles, all us grown-up cousins, and kids everywhere, from college students down to toddlers. Probably about 30 people, all told.

Comment

Mourning the loss of Ala Moana Shopping Center's traditional old tree with its revolving figures ...

[just teasing, but it was a shock to see it not there this season]

Comment

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do for Xmas this year...my family came to visit from the Mainland earlier in the year, so I won't be going home there for the winter holidays. My job makes it difficult to take off more than a week at a time anyway. My boyfriend will be overseas in the Middle East during Xmas and New Year, so I'm hoping to spend time with friends for Xmas and also donating my time for some cause I support, like the Humane Society.

If anybody has any suggestions for fun holiday events I could check out here on Oahu, let me know!

I'm happy they finally put the Santa together on top of the Ala Moana Parking garage. It's really disturbing to see a giant Santa in three distinct pieces, don't ya think? What do kids say?

Happy Holidays, all!

Comment

Tell them islamic terrorists kidnapped Santa and the world didn't abide by their demands and Santa was dismantled

Okay okay stop with the four letter words!!!! Tell them Santa was ressurected just like Jesus. OKAY???

So go check out the City Lights via trolley. Thats the best way to see the lights down at city hall. Don't forget your camera!

Comment

Yeah Craig, that's it. The reindeer came and rolled away the stone, and up the chimney He rose!

Comment

Ho ho ho! And up in smoke he went.

Comment

Woah! Hey, what's the CTS surgery like? No more problems now?

well this year, I think we're all travelling to my grandma's. Nothing is certain and anythign can change the last few days before Christmas. She may decide to go elsewhere.

Comment

We celebrate it here at home. Sis and her family come over for Christmas Eve turkey dinner in the evening, then go home. They come back Christmas morning and we do presents, then they go home and start to prepare the Christmas joint (no, no...read your damned Dickens, you potheads!) Then we go over there that evening for the roast beast.
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                              X