Typhoon hits Manila

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typhoon hits Manila

Typhoon Xangsane crossed over Manila and the northern and southern provinces today causing some flooding and wind damage in the city. The Manila airport was closed down due to power failures, and severe flooding was reported in downtown Manila.

The typhoon packed maximum winds of 130 kilometers (81 miles) per hour and gusts of up to 160 kph (100 mph) when it made landfall overnight in the central Bicol region. It weakened into a storm with 110 kph winds (69 mph) but picked up speed from 17 kph (11 mph) to 19 kph (12 mph) as it passed over Manila.

It was the strongest typhoon to directly hit Manila in 11 years. In November 1995, the 260-kph (163-mph) Super typhoon Angela battered the Philippine capital after slicing through central provinces, leaving 936 people dead.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Typhoon Durian kills estimated 1000

Super typhoon Durian, which struck the Philippines last Thursday, has 425 confirmed dead and another 599 missing and presumed dead under mudslides southeast of Manila.

Typhoon Durian is the 4th catastrophic typhoon to stike the Philippine islands in the last 4 months. Australia, Canada and the US are sending relief aid to help the homeless.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Typhoon hits Manila

I live in Japan, we see 15-20 typhoons per year, but rarely with the intensity that our southern friends suffer.
      My thoughts go out to all affected by the storms.
      I grew up in north Queensland Australia and have seen some crazy cyclones, trees flying around, flooding etc.
      But as a surfer I have come to admire both sides of these storms and have become semi obsessed with watching their swells and waves here in Japan.
      On my site I have some pictures taken from a a big typhoon from Sept 2006, which started off as a hurricane and passed the int date line.
      Have a look on my home page if you are interested.

Comment

Working...
      X