DNA testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA testing

Have any of you had your DNA tested "for Ethnicity" ? I'm thinking of having that done (I'm into genealogy, so it ties into that interest). I've a few concerns/questions about it in general, though, before I turn my DNA over to .... cyberspace (the results are online, at least for one company I am considering). Here is their disclaimer:
    Your privacy is important to us. We use industry standard security practices to store your DNA sample, your DNA test results, and other personal data you provide to us. In addition, we store your DNA test results and DNA sample without your name or other common identifying information. You own your DNA data. At any time, you can choose to download raw DNA data, have us delete your DNA test results as described in the {XXX}DNA Privacy Statement, or have us destroy your physical DNA saliva sample. We do not share with third parties your name or other common identifying information linked to your genetic data, except as legally required or with your explicit consent.
    Another question I have is comparing the companies that offer testing. Right now there is a sale on at least one of those companies. Maybe price will be my decision-making point. (Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are in effect.)

I'm interested in seeing what Hawaiian component there is in some of my family.

I'm interested in trying to get the testing that is currently available done for some of the most senior of Kupuna in the family.

My son says they used to also offer health-related genetic testing, but the FDA banned that a few years ago. I wonder if that is back in any of the testing, so a bit more research for me to do on that.

DNA testing, anyone?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: DNA testing

Wow what a coincidence.... this article is in today's Maui News:
    The Department of Hawaiian Home Lands will hold public hearings next month in Maui County on proposed administrative rule changes.
    These include the use of DNA testing to help establish familial relationships for the department’s homestead home and lot applications and for successorship designation, subsistence agriculture lots, the transfer of homestead leases to undeveloped or vacant lots and undivided interest, fees and charges for the use of department facilities, according to an announcement.

Comment

I would be interested in that information myself. I am into genealogy also.
      "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
      Ayn Rand

Comment

I ordered kits today (on sale) for 3 people in my ohana, representing 3 generations. Due to mailing times and processing, I expect it will be about 3 months before the results are available.

Comment

My test kits have been mailed in. I'm learning a bit more about DNA while I await the results. Did you know that siblings will not necessarily have the same DNA?

Comment

I did 23andme.com a few years ago and blogged a little about it. Here's my first blog entry, with three or four posts after this:

http://allineedis1mike.blogspot.com/...dme-andme.html
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I did Ancestry and came up with 99% Polish, 1% other (probably Mongol).

My wife did 23andme, and got health probabilities as well as ethnic mix.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I recently got messaged on Ancestry by a 3rd cousin whose great grandparents knew my paternal aunts and my grandparents and my father.
                She graciously shared some scanned old photos from her grandma's scrapbook, the only photos I have of my father when he was young. Plus photos of my grandparents when they were young, from the 1920's.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  I recently got messaged on Ancestry by a 3rd cousin ...
                  That's a great result, and thanks to your 3rd cousin.
                  Greg

Comment

I did the DNA testing through Ancestry. My family did 3 generations, covering a span of 65 years. Yes, the testing did accurately spot the relationship of parent to child.
                    A few thoughts:

For anyone who is adopted and wanting to identify their "birth parents", what a great tool the DNA testing is! You might not get a match now, but it seems inevitable that eventually a sibling or cousin or aunt/uncle etc will show up as a match.

For an adoptive parent who has been "hiding" from their adopted child about the adoption, you'd better speak up now before the [now adult] child innocently does their DNA and finds out the truth.

Ditto for a parent who has been saying that a "step-parent" is a birth parent. It's gonna come out about the truth eventually if the child delves into DNA testing.

For unmarried mothers who have mistakenly (intentional or not) identified who the birth father is, there will no doubt be some shake ups in child support that come about now that it is easy and inexpensive for "fathers" to do the testing to match to the child.
                    Last edited by Amati; September 30, 2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I did that on ancestry.com too.

Everything came back as expected. Mostly Chinese, some White. Confirmed with grandmother's stories.

But was surprised me was 10% Polynesian. No idea where that came from, or how in our family tree.

I'm trying to do backward math. If I'm 10%, should one of my parent be 20%. My grandparents 40%? My great grandparents 80%? But that does not match the oral history told.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                        I'm trying to do backward math. If I'm 10%, should one of my parent be 20%. My grandparents 40%? My great grandparents 80%? But that does not match the oral history told.
                        I could be wrong about this, but my current understanding is that the percentages do not necessarily come about in the logical way you are thinking (which I had thought myself!).

From what I've read, even two full siblings can show different percentages. It all depends on which genes you've pulled more of... or something like that.

Which rolls around to why I've started to stress with family that the oldest generation should be tested first (unless there is money enough to do everyone right now). By doing the oldest, you can paint a broader picture.

Comment

The more I read into this, yeah, the more that's true.

The old thinking, even when we were kids.

I'm half Japanese, half Hawaiian is not "true." DNA is not like math.

BTW, so the (old) Kamehameha school definition was all wrong then. Back then you had to be 50%. Something like that, I think. I had classmates that couldn't go because they didn't meet the qualification. I know that's another discussion. But my statement would be true in terms how DNA actually work, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            For anyone who is adopted and wanting to identify their "birth parents", what a great tool the DNA testing is! You might not get a match now, but it seems inevitable that eventually a sibling or cousin or aunt/uncle etc will show up as a match.
                            The future is already here. A story in the StarAdvertiser:
                            Two Hawaii men who grew up as best friends recently learned that they’re actually brothers and revealed the surprise to family and friends over the holidays.
                            They used a DNA matching website(s) to help in their discovery.

KHON has a heartwarming video about the brothers.

I'm sure this is just one of many incidents of Hawaii folks finding or about to find unknown relatives, especially since Hawaii is a place in which [at least some] members of our families tend to stay put here. There are lots of aunties and uncles and cousins out there!

Comment

Working...
                            X