Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

Hi. I'm trying to put together a Mmaster Tonic for cold and flus, and the recipe calls for freshly grated horseradish root. I've look practically everywhere, but can't seem to find it in our local supermarkets, including Wholefoods. Any suggestions where I might be able to find it? Thanx.

Re: Where can I find fresh horesradish root?

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
    Hi. I'm trying to put together a Mmaster Tonic for cold and flus, and the recipe calls for freshly grated horseradish root. I've look practically everywhere, but can't seem to find it in our local supermarkets, including Wholefoods. Any suggestions where I might be able to find it? Thanx.

I bought some in your China town along with a tiny pot of horseradish sauce. If you live in Honolul, then I can give you directions.

Comment

I just saw some fresh Wasabi (Japanese horseradish) root at Don Quijote Kaheka today. Does that count?

They were pretty tiny (1/2" thick at the most, about 4" long) for $5.99. There were only two left. Don't know how much you can grate from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
        I bought some in your China town along with a tiny pot of horseradish sauce. If you live in Honolul, then I can give you directions.
        I shop in Chinatown frequently. Some directions as to which store would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          I just saw some fresh Wasabi (Japanese horseradish) root at Don Quijote Kaheka today. Does that count?

They were pretty tiny (1/2" thick at the most, about 4" long) for $5.99. There were only two left. Don't know how much you can grate from that.
          Not sure if it's the right kind. I called Don Quiote the other day. Said they don't stock horseradish. Hmmm... I'd have to look into that further. Curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
            I've seen it at Marukai (the membership store) at Dillingham. Ward location may also carry. If you are or know a Marukai member, you can get it there. It's pricey, though.
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
              I've seen it at Marukai (the membership store) at Dillingham. Ward location may also carry. If you are or know a Marukai member, you can get it there. It's pricey, though.
              Thanks, but I think you're referring to Wasabi Root. It has similar qualities, but is a different root altogether. Different genome, is what I'm told. I'll check out those sites, though. I might get lucky.

Thus far, I had to resort to getting a processed (paste) version of horseradish root at Y.Hata's in a 5 Ib. container. The additives were soy bean oil, salt and white vinegar. Pretty harmless, so I figured it was all right. Other brands had all kinds of crap in it.

Btw, my Master Tonic will be ready today. Can't wait to try it. I'll be taking some on my Alaskan Cruise this weekend in case I get the plague.

Comment

Working...
              X