This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Bull buys Advertiser

not only are the fates of current sb & honadv employees up in the air, but last year's sb 30+ laid off employees are waiting in the wings.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The Advertiser is reporting that Windward Ford owner Mike McKenna is expressing interest in purchasing the Star-Bulletin. But before any newspaper employee breaths a sigh of relief, keep in mind that he's merely "interested." As the article states, McKenna's been down this road before, having explored past opportunities to purchase the SB the last two times the paper was up for sale. Will the third time be different? That's what a lot of people will be hoping for. Stay tuned.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Mike is 76 years old. I don't know why he'd want to buy anything, much less a newspaper. Perhaps so his son can own it, like he did with all his California auto dealerships?
        Maybe Mike will try to find partners like he did the last time he thought about buying the S-B.
        Maybe he'll make Hana Girl the executive editor? (Yeah, I know. The original Hana Girl passed away a few years back; the current "Hana Girl" is an impostor.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The Honolulu Newspaper War blog has been brought back from the dead to document current events:

http://www.pacifichistory.net/public...FILE/NEWS.HTML
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            The Honolulu Newspaper War blog has been brought back from the dead to document current events:

http://www.pacifichistory.net/public...FILE/NEWS.HTML
            I liked the blog entry on 3/7.

The economic situation is not the same as it was a decade ago, however, and many Advertiser employees seem to be in a state of denial. One employee didn't do herself any favors when she said she might be working as a janitor in a couple of weeks. Hey, there are a lot of unemployed people out there who would love a janitor job. Some of them are ex-Star-Bulletin employees.
            This is in reference to the soundbite from KHON's coverage of the newspaper guild meeting, no?

Suzanne Roig's comment rubbed me the wrong way as well, as it is condescending to custodial/maintenance workers. And as pointed out, these kinds of statements won't generate much sympathy from the general public. Not at a time when unemployment is so high and even decent paying part-time jobs are hard to come by.

But as far as Gannett providing more than $40 million in seller financing to David Black.... I notice no comment was made on that topic. Or did I miss something in the blog? Hmmm!
            Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 16, 2010, 04:42 PM.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The Gannett involvement hasn't been confirmed...
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Ian Lind passes this information on from someone else - important to newsies:

"Bottom line is that the Advertiser’s web edition back to 2001 is now completely accessible online, free of charge, the way it used to be when you could just monkey with the URL to get the issues that were more than 2 months old, except now you can just go straight to it."

Big question is what happens to this resource after the Advertiser is bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                  Ian Lind passes this information on from someone else - important to newsies:

"Bottom line is that the Advertiser’s web edition back to 2001 is now completely accessible online, free of charge, the way it used to be when you could just monkey with the URL to get the issues that were more than 2 months old, except now you can just go straight to it."

Big question is what happens to this resource after the Advertiser is bought.
                  Seeing as how the David Black regime has kept the S-B's online archives free and accessible thoughout this time with all the red-ink flowing, I would venture to guess that there's no reason to expect that the Advertiser's back issues will suddenly go back to charging a user fee.

Comment

I don't know who's doing those funny Hitler videos (like the one on the SuperFerry), but Ian Lind points out a new video at this link about the Star Bulletin/Advertiser situation!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                      Ian Lind posts the termination letter all Advertiser employees are receiving this week.

No bumping, since everyone is being terminated effective closing of the sale. Star Bulletin setting up a management company to do rehiring - everyone welcome to apply for appropriate positions - to keep the Advertiser publishing.

www.ilind.net
                      It took a few days for the other shoe to drop, but it finally did.

Star Bulletin employees receives their letter, warning of "mass layoffs" should no buyer for the paper be found and the two dailes merge.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      I don't know who's doing those funny Hitler videos (like the one on the SuperFerry), but Ian Lind points out a new video at this link about the Star Bulletin/Advertiser situation!
                      Yeah. Well, if anyone from the S-B was gloating (out loud or secretly) about their boss buying the "big, bad" Advertiser, the letter they got yesterday gave them a healthy dose of reality.
                      Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 20, 2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Potential buyer for the Star Bulletin:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...Bulletin+buyer

Comment

Advertiser employees apparently got temporary job offers today, according to this breaking news story.

Comment

This could be posted in "defectors from print," or even "shared service agreement."

just announced in the Advertiser newsroom, editor Mark Platte will become news director at Hawaii News Now.

Comment

Good timing. I just posted that same item but in a new thread. [/high five]
                              Beat by exactly one minute. You owe me a beer.

Comment

Wasnt sure where to post this and maybe it goes in the shared services agreement thread. My old stomping grounds in Phoenix, the local paper and NBC affiliate will be merging under one roof. Remember at one time during the early to mid 60's the Star Bulletin owned KGMB:

Gannett to combine operations for Phoenix TV, print outlets
                                Gannett is planning to consolidate the The Arizona Republic, Phoenix NBC affiliate KPNX-TV and La Voz, bringing the properties under one roof and merging operations. For KPNX, the move means a new, ground-floor studio in Phoenix's Republic Media building. "The new studio will allow our team to connect with viewers like never before. Much like NBC's 'Today', we know a live audience will bring energy to our newscasts," KPNX's John Misner said. Mediaweek

Comment

Working...
                                X