Ben Guttierrez out at KITV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Guttierrez out at KITV

News release this afternoon - Expensive Ben booted for less expensive Amber-Lynn:

Media Contact:

Tod Pritchard, KITV News Director

Tel: (808) 535-0469

Amber-Lynn Hyden to take over Morning Weather Anchor duties

HONOLULU (December 16, 2008)-KITV announces that Amber-Lynn Hyden will take over the Morning Weather Anchor position starting January 2, 2009. Amber-Lynn will join Dan Meisenzahl and Mahealani Richardson on KITV 4 Island Television News This Morning from 5 - 7 a.m. weekdays.

Amber-Lynn joined KITV as Weekend Weather Anchor in July 2008. "Amber-Lynn has proven herself to be a smart, hard worker here at KITV. Her attitude and energy will be a great addition to our morning newscast," said Tod Pritchard, KITV News Director.

Amber-Lynn's promotion is one element in a series of changes planned for KITV 4 Island Television News This Morning over the next several weeks. These changes will add resources to Island Television News giving viewers more reasons to watch.

KITV 4, an ABC affiliate, is owned by Hearst-Argyle Television, Inc. (NYSE: HTV), which owns 24 television stations, and manages an additional three television and two radio stations, in geographically diverse U.S. markets. The company's television stations reach approximately 17.7 percent of U.S. TV households, making it one of the two largest U.S. television station groups not primarily aligned with a single network, as well as one of the seven largest television groups overall as measured by audience delivered.
    Hearst-Argyle Television is also involved in television production and syndication, through a partnership with NBC Enterprises, and is a leader in the convergence of local broadcast television and interactivity.

Hearst-Argyle's corporate Web address is www.hearstargyle.com. KITV 4's Web address is www.KITV.com.

Re: Ben Guttierrez out at KITV

Poor Ben. Any mention as to where he's heading?

Poor Dan. He gotta handle two titas in the morning.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Whoa. And no mention of Ben in the release at all.

I've been lucky to get to know the KITV morning team pretty well. Of the bunch, I've always been immensely impressed with Ben's work. You hear everyone talk about up to the minute forecasts, but Ben was the real deal. Studying data right up until his segment, then coming into the studio and working that bluescreen like a pro -- usually with nary a note or prompt, yet smooth and silk, not missing a beat.

Weather seemed in his blood, totally natural, speaking the language natively yet still warm and friendly and playful on the air for everything else, including the occasional news piece.

Frankly, in terms of experience, qualifications, and genuine passion for meteorology, I thought KITV had the deepest resources in the combination of Ben and Justin.

I do know that Ben had many other interests, among them music and other artistic pursuits, so I hope this change creates more opportunities for him with things he loves.

Comment

I'm sad to hear of this.

Ben is my favorite weather person.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Methinks Benny boy needs to get hissef some boobs if he wants to stay employed in this TV weather market.

*DUCKS*

Seriously, sorry to hear. I saw Ben in action covering a story IRL for the first time two weeks ago. My impression was completely different from my impression of him on camera doing weather. I saw a completely different side of the guy while he was interviewing his subject. I saw an extremely good journalist hard at work that day.

Good luck to you, Ben.
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Seriously. The guy has some strong journalism chops. I'm not even sure if weather was what he wanted to do, or if he just fell into it. But he didn't waste an ounce of skill and professionalism in front of the blue screen or at the weather terminal. I imagine that whatever he did, he'd do it well.

Longtime journalist (including former news director and talk show host) booted in favor of a former flight attendant. I guess this is the new reality we're always trying to adjust to -- but hopefully never will.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              Poor Dan. He gotta handle two titas in the morning.
              Are you talking about Amber Lynn Hyden and Mahealani Richardson or Amber Lynns'?
              Btw, Ben G. has a good, clear radio voice.
              Last edited by Walkoff Balk; December 16, 2008, 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling, add

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Are you talking about Amber Lynn Hyden and Mahealani Richardson or Amber Lynns'?
                The clean PG-rated choice.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Curious question is the competitive clause agreement (staying off-air for 6 months before you can depart for another local station) in effect if the person is let go from the job? Could they jump to another station right away?
                  Or is this just in play when someone leaves a station on his/her own free will?

Aj

Comment

If KITV tried to enforce a non-compete, they would have a serious lawsuit on their hands - can't deprive a person the right to employment in her/his "normal" field of work if they have caused the unemployment. (Common sense opinion as opposed to any informed legal opinion. But common sense does not always prevail...as the KITV decision clealy illustrates.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                      If KITV tried to enforce a non-compete, they would have a serious lawsuit on their hands - can't deprive a person the right to employment in her/his "normal" field of work if they have caused the unemployment. (Common sense opinion as opposed to any informed legal opinion. But common sense does not always prevail...as the KITV decision clealy illustrates.)
                      Noncompetes are common in Hawaii broadcasting and are regularly enforced/honored. Been there done that. The trick is, to get whatever noncompete the employer proposes, negotiated down (from three months to 30 days, or the best your attorney can get) BEFORE signing the employment agreement. The very reason Tannya Joaquin cannot start on the air at KGMB until Feb. is a noncompete clause. You sign it, you live by it.

One radio guy decades ago broke a noncompete by going "across the street," from station X to station Y. Station X won the legal battle. DJ/station Y had to PAY. BIG.
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                        One radio guy decades ago broke a noncompete by going "across the street," from station X to station Y. Station X won the legal battle. DJ/station Y had to PAY. BIG.
                        Wonder if that was Bill Anderson (Adam West), supposedly he literally left one station and drove his car over to the other station and started working right away, almost like a publicity stunt. Maybe they didn't have those rules back then?

Aj

Comment

Hope Ben lands something soon, always enjoy it when he plays Mufi at the Gridiron every year!

Aj

Comment

The absence of any mention of Ben in the news release alarmed me as well, esp. since I'd heard about his situation earlier in the week. He's in my column today.
                            Orig. URL: http://www.starbulletin.com/business...l?page=all&c=y
                            Shortened URL: http://www.hsblinks.com/1p
                            Ben has no concrete plans but has high praise for his colleagues at KITV and says he will miss them.
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Erika has it in her column in today's Star-Bulletin, and (as expected) Ben is handling this situation with his trademark class:

"It's been really a privilege to work with some of the most experienced people in the business at a time when there are fewer and fewer real journalists in the business," he said, adding that KITV photographers "are among the best in the business in Hawaii — I can't say enough about them."

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...rlds_best.html

I guess they're going "style" over substance. Best wishes to Ben. I hate to see him go.

Comment

Working...
                              X