No announcement yet.

McDonald's of Waiakamilo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: McDonald's of Waiakamilo CLOSED 6/1/09...

IIRC, McD Keeaumoku also has the double speaker set-up; 2 separate lanes that merge into one after the order is placed.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      IIRC, McD Keeaumoku also has the double speaker set-up; 2 separate lanes that merge into one after the order is placed.
      Yeah, the first time I went through there, I was a little confused. Which one should I go through, and why? But it worked just fine.

Comment

The new Waikamilo drive-thru has the double speaker speaker setup.... but only one lane. The idea is that when a line forms, multiple orders can be taken to provide faster service. A good idea, except that the speakers at the Waikamilo speaker/order stations are not spaced far enough from each other, IMO. On my first visit to that newly remodeled location, I just so happened to be lined up behind a Ford Excursion that placed an order at the second speaker. That SUV and other similarly-sized work trucks and vehicles makes it impossible for the car behind to place an order at the first speaker at the same time. Hmmm. I think just a few more feet in-between the speakers would end up making a big difference.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I hope the waikamilo one has an outdoor cafe like their Keeaumoku digs. I swear, while sitting at that one, if I squint my eyes tight enough, I'd swear I was in some Boulevard Haussman cafe in Paris.
          n'importe

Comment

I reallly, REALLY miss a Haupia pie and Mcsaimen..............off topic, I know. And It wasalways nice knowing that there was one in the street level of Disco Bay, but I guess that is no more?
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
              [...]And It wasalways nice knowing that there was one in the street level of Disco Bay, but I guess that is no more?
              Definitely still there and no rumors of it's imminent demise. Unless, of course, the newest owner jacks the prices up even more and runs himself outta business! Maybe then corporate will take it back! I haven't patronized it in ages.

[off-topic...we now have a Buffalo Wild Wings, Tatt.]

Comment

Pigs Belly

I went to the market and got a big piece of pig's belly. I haven't had it for years. Lots of salt and pepper on it and remember the lemonade
                'cause it makes your mouth greasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  Pigs Belly

I went to the market and got a big piece of pig's belly. I haven't had it for years. Lots of salt and pepper on it and remember the lemonade
                  'cause it makes your mouth greasy.
                  That woulda been a good reply in the what's for dinner thread!

Comment

Great, just what we need...

...Micky D lane rage!
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                      Ah, McD's of Disco Bay: haven't been there in awhile, but I have fond memories of that one, back in the good ol' days when Discovery Bay was one of the most exclusive & upscale addresses in town.

The McD restaurant there was designed to complement that image; at the time, it was touted as being one of the most elegant McD's anywhere to be found. Lots of koa wood and brass (a pain in the a$$ to maintain! I remember going through LOTS of Watco oil and Brasso polish...).
                      That was a nice McDonald's but I thought the McDonald's in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center was touted to be the most elegant with all the Koa wood in the upstairs dining area? I know both locations jacked up the prices.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        That was a nice McDonald's but I thought the McDonald's in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center was touted to be the most elegant with all the Koa wood in the upstairs dining area? I know both locations jacked up the prices.
                        I think musubi was referring to a coupla decades ago! I haven't been in the RH McD. I'll have to take a peek. ALL McDs in Hawaii should have a tropical theme...and make it a competition amongst them!

Comment

ALL McDs in Hawaii should have a tropical theme...and make it a competition amongst them!
                          Then the one in Laie, next to the PCC, would already win, hands down! It's had a tropical theme for at least a decade, maybe a lot longer.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanx for reminding me about that locale. I need to get out there asap to get pix of the very cool tikis that stand at the road entrance to the next door hotel, which is soon to be torn down.

Comment

Now that it's been open a couple of months, here's my take.
                              1. I disagree with sansei, who said in another thread that it's "nice." It's nice in the way that most new things are nice, but in the interest of cramming as many seats in that restaurant as possible, whoever designed this thing took out any semblance of the ability to dine privately. Where other McDs restaurants have booths, and where the Waiakamilo one had those little carved-out spaces, this one is wide open. From any one seat in the restaurant, you can see every other seat in the restaurant save two tables tucked away in the back (my favorite spots now). The middle of the dining area is made up of about ten mini-booths, arranged in five rows of two adjacent booths. I call it them mini-booths not because they seat fewer people, but because the high-backed seats are now low-backed seats; the seat-backs come up only as high as the table. Where there are often dividers separating one booth from the one next to it, there is nothing. This makes it possible for a larger group to dine at one table, but it presents an awkward situation if you're dining alone and you're next to people you don't know. It's like sitting at the same dining table with strangers, something that I know some people don't have a problem with, but I hate it.
                              2. The perimeter is mostly made up of those half-booths, where there is a booth-type cushioned bench against the wall but two chairs on the opposite side of the table, allowing for people in wheelchairs to pull right up and eat. Nothing wrong with this design except, as I said, there's no privacy.
                              3. The rest of the perimeter seating is made up of those high tables with those high stools, seating two.
                              4. Oh, I almost forgot the large table. Near one wall is a much larger table with about eight or nine cushioned stools circled around it. Good for family and large-group dining.
                              5. The original hours for the dining room were weeknights 'til 11:00 p.m. and weekends 'til 12:00 a.m., but at least twice while I was there in November, the dining room closed at 11:00 on weekends, meaning I felt I had to rush through my meal (it was NaNoWriMo and I needed somewhere to eat and write). This inconsistency kept me away for several weeks.
                              6. Then for a while, the posted hours were 24 hours for the drive-through and 24 hours for the dining room. A 24-hour McD's dining room in Hawaii? Finally! I kissed and made up and found myself there a lot more frequently. Someone with my habits needs a quiet place to go late at night, not just for the food but for somewhere to be that's not home or work.
                              7. That experiment was short-lived. When I went by last night, the new posted closing time for the dining room was 1:00 on weekends and 12:00 on weeknights. Still better than the original hours, but not nearly as good as open-all-night.
                              8. I'm usually very forgiving of the counter help (there's a reason McD's is a place to get a cheap meal) but the help at this restaurant, which used to be very good, especially in the drive-through, has been awfully inattentive, not to mention kind of rude and unresponsive. I've noticed the managers frequently yelling at people in the front and in the back to move more quickly or be more responsive or something. I'm going to cut them some slack for a while but I don't know how much more of it I can take.
                              9. So color me mostly unimpressed with the new McD's. I appreciate the longer hours but would have liked eve LONGER hours; I think the interior design is crap; I'm not fond of the service I've been getting. But to be honest, those longer hours will probably keep me coming back.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: McDonald's of Waiakamilo

It ain't 'cheap' no more, at least in price.
                                The last one to allow me my lil bacon biscuit for a buck is gone, now they all hard line it at $4, no friggin way! That was the ONLY thing I'd bother with from them, so close to mom's.
                                So no mo golden arches for this junkie.

Too funny reading the fond memories of run-o-the-mill Mac's. The sooner they tear them all down the better.
                                They'll always keep the historic one in my old stomping grounds of Downey, CA, but the one time I went there in the 60s just to say I did, it was so bad I threw my burger/fries/shake in the trash. Me-mo-ries...

Comment

Working...
                                X