Best Korean take out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Korean take out

Who has the best Korean take out food???

I've tried Yummy's, Kim Chee, a place in the Manoa market palce, and some other hole-in-the-wall places, all not that good.
    Best I've had so far, is Chung's in Kaneohe.

I like fish and meat jun, BBQ chicken and pork.

Re: Best Korean take out

I like Yummys - had some lunch from there on thursday. Peppa's in the Makiki Shopping Village was always good & they had a large selection of sides. I think it's still open.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

sam's on nuuanu, ducky's manoa, gina's at market city are our suggestins for for take out korean. we rarely do korean take out bcs we prefer more authentic fare from jalgachi on young street or han yang in kalihi or even yuchun for black noodle or elim cafe on keeaumoku. but if we do takeout korean, those three places are pretty much the only ones we'll deign to go to.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
        Who has the best Korean take out food?
        To you what defines what place is better than the other? Is it the price? Does one place gives you more choices of sides or you get to choose 5 sides instead of the usual 4 sides? Does the location of the place factor into this?

Comment

To me good Korean food is something I can eat without the plastic fork breaking.
          With the meat and fish jun, you can taste the meat and fish.
          The BBQ chicken, pork and beef is moist.
          The rice is not hard.
          Kim chee has taste.
          The Yummy's I've tried, Hawaii Kai and Kaneohe, were bad.

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
            To me good Korean food is something I can eat without the plastic fork breaking.
            With the meat and fish jun, you can taste the meat and fish.
            The BBQ chicken, pork and beef is moist.
            The rice is not hard.
            Kim chee has taste.
            The Yummy's I've tried, Hawaii Kai and Kaneohe, were bad.

the three places i mentioned all meet these requirements, plus it's not unusual to see koreans picking up food from there. yummy's is overpriced for the quality/quantity you get, compared to sam's, ducky's and gina's. with all three of those places, eric and i can share a plate and be reasonably satisfied. neither one of us eats like a bird, by the way.

i suggest the spicy pork at gina's. i like the meat jun & bbq chicken at sam's. ducky's has the most authentic ban chan and includes taegu, water kim chee, pickled garlic, and other pickled/fermented veggies that i can't name but love to eat. what i also enjoy about those places is the service is always friendly and patient.

peppa's (which anapuni mentioned and which i frequented when i lived a block away), gina's and sam's are mentioned in this mid-week piece. here's a 2005 review of ducky's.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Hands down, the best meat jun and fish jun is from Young's Kal Bee in Aiea. Barbeque chicken is fine, but the meat jun is the best I've ever had.

Comment

who has the best kalbi take out? i often have cravings for it.

Comment

Dong Yang in Wahiawa has THE BEST meat jun you will ever have. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                    sam's on nuuanu
                    Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
                    Hands down, the best meat jun and fish jun is from Young's Kal Bee in Aiea.
                    Both excellent choices. Sam's does stuff that other places don't seem to bother with; the quality of the food is an obvious step up from the Yummy's chain. Young's is better for dining in, but the takeout's good too.

I'm a big fan of Soon's in the Salt Lake Shopping Center. Everything I've had there is very good, and although you don't get that four-choices-of-veggies option, the veggies they put on your plate are delicious. The best Korean veggies I've had at a takeout.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                    X