Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Kaka Roach
    LMBUTTO!

"Get da kakaroach!"
    "Wea?! Wea?!"
    "OVA DEA! GET'EM!"

Hehehehe... just happened the other night at my house.
    MEMRI TV:Middle East Media Research Institute
    Jihad Watch
    Amil Imani's Website

Comment

da buggah stay stuck!

For work related problems

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        We go HOLO HOLO!

Seems to be used more on the big island then Oahu.

Is the HOLO HOLO "slippa" factory still in existence? Their brand was sold at the Slipper Shop in Ala Moana Center.

Often used to get the KAKA ROACH!

Comment

We also used the word "kakaroach" to mean "to steal" as in "no kakaroach da slippahs, yeah?"

And then there's "tantaran" v. "tarantaran" (I think it evolved from the music from the Kaze Kozo series)

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I thought "tantaran" came from the Imperial margarine commercials.

Comment

Big Island: Arare
              Oahu: Mochi Crunch

And will everybody STOP saying Liberry!
              I even heard it on a local PSA about letting your keiki read more, "go to the LIBERRY" , eh, learn fo' talk first. Try this on co-workers or friends, ask them where do you go to borrow books? Most of them will say Da Liberry.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Levia
                "Ai! Scratch her face! Naaaiiilsss..."da girl so stuck-up pretty, go scratch her face and make'em ugly. It was always followed with a snap (or two or three, depending on how pretty) and the side-to-side neck bop thing
                Most likely that snap and side-to-side neck bop thing is what appealed to the mahu types, so they adapted it. "No worry Mary, she's just J" (jealous). Mahus call any unknown female or other mahu "Mary". lol

Kakaroach. Too funny. Den' you get Kakaroach's cuzin, "borrow". "Brah, can borrow $5 bucks oh' what?". Meaning, "Please give me $5.00, but don't expect to be paid back".

My favorite ones are in the damages and loss department:
                "cabbage"=messed up
                "buss" or "all buss"=busted up, drunk, wasted
                "mango"=ugly, gross,
                "ke'ke"=ugly, disgusting
                "poho"=spoiled; wasteful; thrown away, nothing remaining
                "alahz"=nothing remaining

"Brah, you get money?" "Alahz".

'Den you get da complimentary kine stuffs:
                "Cherry"=Flawless, beautiful
                "Solid"=Flawless
                "Guaranz"=Guranteed, I've got it covered
                "Winnahz"=Winner
                "Stylin'"=Styling, Doing well
                "Killahz"=Killer, the best, awesome

One thing evident here, is that most pidgin words aren't specific to any given island. Telephones and interisland air travel quickly carry these catchy slangs clear across our state. Not only that, pidgin is fading. Hawaii's younger generation is adapting more to urban hip hop and/or California "surfer dude" culture vs. old Hawaii plantation culture.
                Last edited by Pomai; August 7, 2006, 06:43 AM. Reason: Samoa stuff fo' say
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Reading this thread makes me wonder where the words "choke" and "grind" come from. I know what they mean but how did they enter the pidgin vernacular? I think these two words are relatively recent introductions maybe from the 70s? Is anyone here old enough to remember if these words were used before then?

I've used the word "choke" myself to describe an abundance of somthing but I never say "grind" meaning to eat because is just sounds stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                    I even heard it on a local PSA about letting your keiki read more, "go to the LIBERRY" , eh, learn fo' talk first. Try this on co-workers or friends, ask them where do you go to borrow books? Most of them will say Da Liberry.
                    It's not "liberry," it's actually "lie bury" because that's where they "bury all the lies."
                    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                      Big Island: Arare
                      Oahu: Mochi Crunch

Arare = Kakimochi; some folks jokingly pronounce "arare" as "A RARE"

Sometimes consumed outside the County "Liberry" on Waianuenue Ave.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
                        Arare = Kakimochi; some folks jokingly pronounce "arare" as "A RARE"

Sometimes consumed outside the County "Liberry" on Waianuenue Ave.
                        ROTFLMAO! Too funny OP!
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

Ah, remembered another one...

When I was in high school, I worked at a movie theater. So many dudes would come in and order "one la'ge drink," without specifying a flavor.

"what flavor, sir?"
                          "umm...make'em one froo punch."
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Funny.

What you call arare, mochi crunch, and kakimochi, I call osenbei all the way from small keed time.

Still, to this day, my favorite aisle in the supermarket.
                            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

here is a disconnect for you. I don't type the way I speak. A GREAT many of these idioms are such a part of my daily speech that it was strange to read them here on this thread. I mean, we all talk like that, yeah no?

'Nails' cannot be spit out without the accompanying grimace. Whereas 'nails' is for people --

"ai who she tink she is fooling acking li' dat? Sssssso-nails!" (slur on the 's' and sound the 'o' quickly into the next word)

'limu' is for the inanimate--

"E'rybody love Keli'i Reichel, but his songs are limu on da radio already!"

pax

Comment

And then there's "tantaran" v. "tarantaran" (I think it evolved from the music from the Kaze Kozo series)

Miulang[/QUOTE]

I tink tarantaran is used to mean show off as when a person stay acking tarantaran, or wen dey ack bolot,like dey know it all. At least we used this phrase from wey back baybay time.

Comment

Working...
                                X