This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 6

I introduced my mom, wife, and kids to the Kulia Grill at the new UH Medical School building near Kakaako Waterfront Park. Of course, most of us had cheeseburgers (though my mom went with the beef burgundy). Delicious! And great company.

Comment

I had my second-ever Spam musubi today. I was actually craving it. What's happening to meeeeeee??!!!

Oh, and then I spent five minutes flossing little green specks out from between my teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        I introduced my mom, wife, and kids to the Kulia Grill at the new UH Medical School building near Kakaako Waterfront Park. Of course, most of us had cheeseburgers (though my mom went with the beef burgundy). Delicious! And great company.

I have to go into town tomorrow. What are the hours of the Kulia Grill? I'd love to give it a try! Where do I park? How do I get in there?
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          I have to go into town tomorrow. What are the hours of the Kulia Grill? I'd love to give it a try! Where do I park? How do I get in there?
          Here's a review and here's the announcement from KCC (cached copy, the original seems to have expired). Looks like the hours are 7 to 4, and parking is in the rear of the Medical School building. It's on Ilalo Street, a block makai of Ala Moana Boulevard, off of the Cooke Street intersection.

Comment

Chicago style hot dog and bottled water from Windy City Dogs, I think that is the name of the place in front of Home Depot.

Comment

corn tortilla quesadillas with habaneros!

whoooo boy howdy do I luv that endorphin rush. but I will pay for it tomorrow!
              (Sorry; I meant; "tomarrow"... forgot where I was...)

Comment

Combo pho from Cuu Long (?) on River Street -- the one right next door to the other pho place that always has a line out the door (To Chau).

Comment

Loco Moco with extra gravy (though I certainly won't tell that to my doctor).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I had the cheeseburger and home-made potato chips at Kulia Grill on Monday. There's no denying that for the price (four bucks for the burger, a buck fifty for the chips), it's tough to beat. For a cafeteria, the place is very nicely put-together, too.

The burgers are sitting under a heat-lamp, waiting to be picked up, so there's no real wait-time, but this means that the tomato and lettuce aren't cold, if you prefer them that way. The burger is flavorful enough to take your attention away from that, though.

My one negative criticism is that the ground beef has been worked a little too much, resulting in a more processed-like patty texture than I prefer. When you're making hamburgers, you want to mix the beef up with the other ingredients just enough to get them combined, but not enough to blend them consistently, or the hamburger won't have that juicy, crumbly effect that separates the good from the adequate.

Still highly recommended.

Oh. Lunch today was two brown-sugar-cinnamon Pop Tarts.
                    Last edited by scrivener; September 28, 2005, 04:48 PM. Reason: "'Cause he was lean and mean and big and bad, pointin' that gun at me ..."
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Combo pho from Cuu Long (?) on River Street -- the one right next door to the other pho place that always has a line out the door (To Chau).

The one where the car drove through the window last week? Funny! The customers just sat there and continued to slurp. It must be THAT GOOD.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        corn tortilla quesadillas with habaneros!

whoooo boy howdy do I luv that endorphin rush. but I will pay for it tomorrow!
                        (Sorry; I meant; "tomarrow"... forgot where I was...)

nah, nah, nah, nah. Just follow it with some ice cream or sorbet! And the next morning while in the bathroom just chant, "come on ice cream. come on ice cream. come on ice cream!"

Grow your own habaneros? Kid 1 bit into a scotch bonnet that was growing in the back yard while it was still on the plant. I think she wasn't even 2-years-old yet. Oh my gosh, I was so sad for her! When you bite one on purpose, that's one kinda pain. When you're a tot and you bite into it, that's a complete freak out.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

just chant, "come on ice cream. come on ice cream. come on ice cream!"
                          that's what SHE said!

Comment

just chant, "come on ice cream. come on ice cream. come on ice cream!"
                            OR....

So...this penguin goes out for a Sunday drive and his car breaks down. Luckily for him there is a garage nearby and he coasts on in.
                            The mechanic says "I'll take a look at it but it's gonna be awhile."
                            The penguin says, "That's okay, I see an ice cream stand just down the road and I think I'll go get myself an ice cream cone."
                            So he waddles over to the stand and gets himself a double-scoop vanilla ice cream cone. It's a little tricky holding on to it with his flippers, and he gets ice cream on his beak and his face. By the time he's finished the cone, he's back at the garage.
                            The mechanic looks up from under the hood and says, "Looks like you blew a seal."
                            The penguin replies, "no, that's just a little ice cream."

Comment

Plate lunch of shoyu pork with brown gravy. brown rice, mix of cooked veggies and a bottle of water.

Comment

The ramen combo (pork ramen, fried rice, and four-piece gyoza) from Yasura Japanese restaurant at the top of Smith Street (at Beretania). What a deal for $6.50!

Thank god tomorrow's payday, though. I owe my kids a treat!

Comment

Working...
                                X