Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Mayor’s Race ’08

See also, "Somebody stop the mayor."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Samurai123 View Post
      Combine that with persons who are pro-rail, but anti-Mufi (maybe they don't like his singing or his looks) then you have the makings of an upset. Anything is possible - that's what makes politics fun.
      Ultimately, it would take something mammoth for Mufi to be upset in the general. I think he will go all-out in the primary and challenge Ann and Panos “Single Issue” Prevedouros to a debate. If Brewer makes enough noise, he might convince the media to include him as well, but he’s pretty close to contracting Lillian Hong-syndrome at this point.

As I mentioned earlier, though, the bigger controversy is the chain-reaction caused by Kobayashi’s vacancy on the City Council. As KGMB9 reports, not is only Duke Bainum challenging Kirk Caldwell’s candidacy petition... the Republican Party is challenging Chrystn Eads’ punctuality. Personally, I think the larger scandal is how a part-time resident like Bainum (who returned to Arkansas after the ’04 election) got the inside scoop that Kobayashi would run for mayor.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        .That would be a tall order. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you need 50 percent plus one to avoid a runoff. My preliminary prediction is Mufi 46%, Ann 32% and Panos 16%, with 3% split among the remaining candidates, and 3% blank votes. That would force a general election runoff between Hannemann and Kobayashi.
        LOL! Me thinks you are vastly overestimating the support that Kobayashi and Panos are going to get.

We'll see on primary election night.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Yep,

I gotta agree that it's a long shot for Kobayashi or Panos to beat Mayor Mufi, but I am not sure if the Mayor can win outright in the Primary Election. We have to see hos this thing plays out.

Comment

Bye bye, Mufinator - indomitable killer of all things musical
            Hellllooooo, Annie! - she won't even try to sing, but might listen to my plan for The Natatorium!

Oh boy!, getting rid of Bush and his buddies, no more Mufi..., things are looking up for the final day's of this country, WHHEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee.......
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              That would be a tall order. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you need 50 percent plus one to avoid a runoff. My preliminary prediction is Mufi 46%, Ann 32% and Panos 16%, with 3% split among the remaining candidates, and 3% blank votes. That would force a general election runoff between Hannemann and Kobayashi.
              LOL! Me thinks you are vastly overestimating the support that Kobayashi and Panos are going to get.
              Apparently, you missed my previous post, where I revised my prediction.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Anyone following this race? Panos's page presents his solutions but he doesn't really seem to have solid ideas on how to fund them, especially on one hand, he's attacking the tax increases, but then on the other, he wants to build his HOT with a myriad of underpasses. The federal highway fund is predicted to be in debt by 2009, next year. Not unless the fed gas tax is raised substantially.

Comment

Panos should bow out gracefully and throw his support to AK.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Samurai123 View Post
                    The wild card is if the Stop Rail guys manage to get the issue on the November ballot. If that is the case the Mayor will go all out to win an outright win in the primary.
                    I doubt it'll get done. Mufi's already planning on vetoeing the plan if the CC should pass it in all 3 readings. If he does veto it, it makes me wonder if it'll hurt him as it would seem he'd be thumbing his nose at the residents of Honolulu.

If AK is indeed only doing this just to spite Mufi, it's not like Mufi wouldn't do it too. To me, he's as arrogant and petty as any of the others. He tends to do that moke head bobbing and talk "smack" of those he ha....disagrees with. Never liked him from the beginning.

Personally, I think all the mayoral candidates su........are lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                      Personally, I think all the mayoral candidates su........are lacking.
                      I wholeheartedly agree.

FASI FOR MAYOR!!!
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Joyce Fasi was at Mufi's birthday party fund-raiser last night.

Ann Kobayashi ran for mayor once before and lost decisively. I don't believe she can muster up more support.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          I wholeheartedly agree.

FASI FOR MAYOR!!!
                          All kidding aside, if Frank Fasi really did make one last run for mayor, this would have been an even bigger story then it already was.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Fasi? Yeah. Okay. Only if I can get one of those hemangous yellow shaka signs.

I'll eat crow on the veto. Mufi's actually supporting the effort to put the issue to a vote by the general public. I doubt he's happy about it, but eh, gotta mek drama l'dat.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              Nice!! I liked it!
                              Question - was it a spontaneous thing or well rehearsed in advance?
                              I hope he won't have to be singing "I'll Remember You" after the next election!
                              The singing's not bad, but his timing is awfull! Someone oughtta buy him a metronome.

You can bet that most everything the Mayor does as far as public performance goes is rehearsed. I'm a singer myself, and I can tell you, not rehearsing beforehand is a recipe for disaster.

We should get Lingle to sing "Sweet Lady of Waihole", so she can help boost Hawaii's Ag industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                                The singing's not bad, but his timing is awfull! Someone oughtta buy him a metronome.
                                Actually, maybe KGMB9’s Malika Dudley can give Mufi some lessons. She apparently sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to him during this morning’s Sunrise segment. The mayor was doing an interview with Grace Lee about rail, his campaign, and his future political career.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X