Stack Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stack Attack!

I was standing in line at Wendy's, when I overheard a conversation between an old Japanese couple (I'd say in their seventies).

Husband: Momma. Wutchu like? One numba one?
    Wife: Hmm. Maybe da Stack Attack?
    H: Eh? One numba one wit cheese?
    W: No, Daddy! Da Stack ATTACK!
    H: Whuddat?
    W: I dunno.
    H(squinting at the menu board): Stack Attack. Dubbo chee burgah. Dats one numba two!
    W: Really?
    H: Yeah, look'um!
    W: Aye-ya.
    H: So I get you one number two, already.
    W: No, Daddy! I want da Stack Attack.
    H: Gawdfunit! Same ting!
    W(stomping a little, pulling on his sleeve): Daddy! Go ass da guy when we go up.
    H(grumbling and crossing his arms): Fine den!

So this is what I have to look forward to. I have to admit though, they were rather cute
    Last edited by MyopicJoe; May 18, 2008, 11:06 PM.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Stack Attack!

Why is it that so many old married couples call each other "Mommy" and "Daddy"? I mean, I know they probably spent 20+ years referring to their spouses that way when talking to their children ("Go ask Mommy what she cooking for dinner") but why would they address each other that way? Does anybody else besides me find this a little creepy?

Comment

*raises hand*

Is it an age thing? Is it a cultural/location thing? Or is it some combination?

The first time I'd ever heard of a husband or wife calling the other 'Mommy/Daddy' was with that old Elvis movie with Angela Lansbury calling her husband 'Daddy' (blanked on the movie name) with the accompanying thought of 'isn't she a bit old to be his kid?' ...then later with Reagans. Until I moved to the south and there were quite a few older couples calling each other 'mommy' and 'daddy'.

The whole 70's thing of guys calling girls 'Momma' and Latina's calling guys 'Poppi' is different...or it seems different to me, it's got a different undertone.

Comment

When I am in the presence of students, I call my colleagues Mr. ____, Ms. _____, or Dr. ______. I don't call them this when I'm alone with them, but yes, although I could say "Jack," "Betty," or "Wilma," as an example to my students I always use the formal address.

So it makes sense that parents would do the same thing, only for them it's probably nearly a 'round-the-clock situation. That's gotta be a tough thing to stop doing after doing it for so long.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
          Does anybody else besides me find this a little creepy?
          Oh don't worry, Glen, me too. My wife says if I ever call her "Mother" I'll get to sleep on the sofa.

After having kids, I can see where the habit comes from, though. When talking to the kids I refer to my wife as "mommy". When I switch from talking to them to my wife, I'll call her "mommy" and then catch myself.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            When I am in the presence of students, I call my colleagues Mr. ____, Ms. _____, or Dr. ______. I don't call them this when I'm alone with them, but yes, although I could say "Jack," "Betty," or "Wilma," as an example to my students I always use the formal address.

So it makes sense that parents would do the same thing, only for them it's probably nearly a 'round-the-clock situation. That's gotta be a tough thing to stop doing after doing it for so long.
            Not really. It'd be pretty much the situation you're in with the school environment. At school in the presence of the young, you use one way of speaking and another when they're out of earshot or when the role of 'teacher' is not all that critical. It's the same for parents. When speaking to the kids the formal family hierarchy comes into play, when amongst adults (or even at times the near adult friends of the spawn) that are seen as equals, the formal role is turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
              Why is it that so many old married couples call each other "Mommy" and "Daddy"? I mean, I know they probably spent 20+ years referring to their spouses that way when talking to their children ("Go ask Mommy what she cooking for dinner") but why would they address each other that way? Does anybody else besides me find this a little creepy?
              I was going to ask about that but thought that might cause thread drift and I didn't wanna start a new thread on that

Comment

Loved it! Had to get my DH to come read it online; very funny, esp since you could hear them talking in your head when you read it.

Okay, yes, I routinely call my husband Daddy. I don't know why. My parents called each other Mama and Daddy, even when us kids were grown and gone. When my father died, I started calling my husband Daddy. I have asked him several times (including right now) if it bothers him, and he says "of course not!" But his mom called his dad Daddy too. Might be a southern rite of passage. Like calling old ladies Miss Emily or Miss Dorothy. But it's only at home. Not on the phone, not out at the store. There he is Honey or Mark.

Before I left my last job, I had made the (generational) transition. The younger nurses began calling me Miss Cindy. Officially old. But respected. That was kinda nice.

Comment

Re Peshkwe & scrivener:

I think raising kids starts the habit, while culture permits it to be public.

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                  I was going to ask about that but thought that might cause thread drift and I didn't wanna start a new thread on that
                  Heh, thanks Adri, but you don't have to worry about it for this thread. It's rather open ended.

In general I don't mind thread drift as long as it remains fun and interesting.

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                  Before I left my last job, I had made the (generational) transition. The younger nurses began calling me Miss Cindy. Officially old. But respected. That was kinda nice.
                  Matriarch Cindy!

Heh thanks for sharing. Those were interesting insights. I'm glad to see you and your hubby are still affectionate
                  "

Comment

So cute!

Makes me sad that my marriage didn't work, so I won't be growing old and calling anyone, "Daddy".
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                      Makes me sad that my marriage didn't work, so I won't be growing old and calling anyone, "Daddy".

Bummer, Susie Being alone it rough, especially if the breakup was bad. Maybe some day you'll have a Le Tas De Attaque of your own (pardon for massacring the language). Best wishes.
                      "

Comment

This thread inspired me to go Wendy's for dinner tonight, I was kind of curious as to what the Stack Attack is all about since it's been quite a while I have been to Wendy's.

When I first read MyopicJoe's account of the couple he overheard I had the impression that what he had experienced was that some people have problems dealing with or remembering numbers and words (one gets to see this with TheBus riders but latey I haven't encountered since the #9 got changed to the Navy bus).

On the bus ride over I got to thinking that perhaps what the wife just wanted the sandwich while the husband was going to order the combo, which includes soda and some sort of side that she didn't want to eat.

When I got to the Wendy's by the airport I looked at the big picture menu and noticed that the #2 was the 1/2 pound cheeseburger using two patties (in otherwords a double cheeseburger) but it was not referred as the Stack Attack. It took awhile to find it, but I did see the Stack Attack, it said it was a double cheeseburger but it was selling for 99 cents.

So I ordered a Stack Attack and a #4 only because I realize that #2 double cheeseburger is a way bigger burger than the Stack Attack (and more expensive too).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          This thread inspired me to go Wendy's for dinner tonight
                          I like their fries the best, out of all the fast food joints.

On the bus ride over I got to thinking that perhaps what the wife just wanted the sandwich while the husband was going to order the combo, which includes soda and some sort of side that she didn't want to eat.
                          Yeah, maybe she didn't have much of an appetite.

I realize that #2 double cheeseburger is a way bigger burger than the Stack Attack
                          Yeah, Stack Attack sounds larger than it is. I suppose that's marketing for you.
                          "

Comment

I went to Wendy's last week and ordered the #2 and the Stack Attack.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              I went to Wendy's last week and ordered the #2 and the Stack Attack.
                              Haha, you took a photo of it. Wow. The Stack Attack doesn't look as imposing as its name would imply.

"Oh da small. Da dang ting couldn't hurt notin'" -- Rap Reiplinger, The Young Kanakas

Maybe the idea is to buy a bunch of them, like White Castle burgers?

(I've been considering getting one of those ultra compact cameras, so I always have one on me to catch snippets of daily life. The pictures coming out of cell phone cameras are pretty good these days too.)
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X