Bringing Rap Reiplinger's comedy back to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Rap Reiplinger's comedy back to life

in case you guys didn't hear, the hon theater for youth is putting on "Rap's Hawaii," HTY's adaptation of Reiplinger's original, groundbreaking comedy, in an unconventional production directed by Harry Wong III and adapted for the stage by Lee Cataluna.

the HTY has never disappointed me and i think Rap was a genius and i'm definitely going to catch this one.

more info can be found here:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...803070315/1123

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING04/80310045

http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaID=153748

rap was da best! brought tears of laughter to my eyes...
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: Bringing Rap Reiplinger's comedy back to life

The Channel 2 morning news did a story on this and show-cased the Mahalo Airlines skit. It was okay and for those born after knowing Rap's legacy it'll be a fun show, however for me that skit didn't bring out the essence of Rap. The first thought that came to my mind was "overdone".

I had the pleasure of watching Rap Reiplinger on stage at the Ala Moana Hotel during his heydays and for a one-man performance he rocked the audience, especially when he did the Fate Yanagi bit...

So he starts the story about Fate Yanagi...you know...head cheerleader for Futaro Memorial High School...and when he gets to the part when he yells out underwater, "Fate Yanagi I love you" we wonder how will he do the gurgling sound? He reaches down to one of the front tables (dinner crowd) and grabs a diner's glass of water and takes a swig...then TRIES TO COMPLETE that part...and ends up spraying the audience with water as he can't do it, laughing instead trying desperately for TAKE TWO!

On TAKE FOUR, he finally hits it to the rampant applause and laughter of the audience, especially the front row people drenched in water after three ill-fated attempts.

One thing I learned that night...don't eat food and watch Rap Reiplinger because you'll have side pains from all that laughing you'll never digest your food properly, and to this date whenever I see a glass of water on a restaurant table I think of Futaro Memorial High School and his honey...Fate Yanagi...bum bum bum bum...
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

well, i doubt anyone could outdo rap when doing rap and my guess is that the trio that put on tonight's show would be the first to say so; that said, i have no regrets whatsoever about paying to see the show. it was (i was told) sold out and the audience was totally into it. 15 minutes before the show started, the trio and someone from a local radio station had the audience in tears with laughter.

bottom line, i thought rap was a genius and so did everyone in the audience. i doubt anyone expected the trio to be as good as rap but they totally had everyone of us laughing and remembering the genius who created all of the material.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Sounds like a winner for HTY! Rap sure was one of a kind.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X