No announcement yet.

iPod & Other Digital Music Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's playing on your iTunes & iPod?

I dont know about you guys, but I owned a IPOD mini....it was a piece of junk.

I owned it for 1 week....continual problems.
    When I used the itunes software, it would transfer the music, but when I removed the cable, it would not READ IT! Even when I retransferred 4 gigs of music! Back to comp-usa it went.

And talk about accessories? WHAT ACCESSORIES?! It came with NONE!

So what DID I replace it with? A creative Zen Micro 5gb.
    Its got 1 gig MORE, and its the SAME PRICE as the ijunk mini!
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3377724

What are the differences...

Zen comes WITH AC ADAPTER CHARGER, Ijunk does NOT
    Zen comes WITH BUILT IN MICROPHONE/VOICE RECORDER, Ijunk does NOT
    Zen has a REMOVABLE battery, Ijunk does NOT (unless you want to tear it apart!)
    Zen comes WITH AM/FM Radio, Ijunk does NOT (that I know of)
    etc...etc...etc...
    Zen plays WMA/WINDOWS MEDIA FORMAT , I junk does not

I would never buy another apple product....but that is just me...
    Your may work fine!

The Zen Micro provides intuitive vertical scrolling to allow users to move through easy-to-use menus with a stroke of the thumb on the face of the player. Vertical movement of one thumb scrolls through vertical menus. In addition, touch sensitive controls enable users to access music with one tap of the thumb on the vertical touch pad.

The Zen Micro also has a high-quality FM radio with 32 presets to access favorite FM radio stations. It has full voice recording capabilities so users can capture up to 10 hours of digital recordings of dictations or notes.

The Zen Micro is 6mm shorter than the iPod mini and unlike the iPod and iPod mini it fully supports both WMA and MP3 files. It supports the recently announced MSN Music service and other services such as Napster and MusicMatchusic, which means access to up to 2 million songs on-line.

see http://www.shahine.com/omar/CreativeZenMicroVsIPod.aspx
    http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Re: iPod & Other Digital Music Devices

There's nothing stunning about the Ipod's design...it's boring. Simple, not so as you need to be looking at it for most functions.

What made the Ipod a marketing success is simply that, MARKETING. That's how the VHS out did the Beta tape format. The Beta tapes had better sound and video than VHS. The Beta had a better transport system than VHS.

But it was VHS that did a marketing blitz than killed the venerable Beta format.

The Ipod is no exception. They even made the dangling earphone cord something cool to have in their tv advertising campaign. In these days of blue toothed earpieces for cell phones I find it unusual that Apple thinks having a really really really long earbud cord swinging with your music is cool. By the way only you will be hearing your cool tunes so to the rest of the public all they see is some person jerking here and there while walking to school or work with no music to accompany the spastic pedestrian.

For the price the Ipod isn't worth it. One thing to remember is that Ipod uses a micro hard drive that is suseptible to vibration unlike dynamic memory that mostly every other MP3 player uses. With the amount of jerking one does to the beat of an Ipod, it's no wonder they crap out sooner than later. You're shaking the hell out of a hard drive with a spinning platter and a pickup. Eventually that pickup will crash into the hard drive and the only tune you'll hear out of your Ipod is the sound of silence which by the way was a great song back then.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        There's nothing stunning about the Ipod's design...it's boring.
        Some may say the design of the iPod is boring. I say it's simple.

What made the Ipod a marketing success is simply that, MARKETING.
        That would be part of it. Apple also launched the first successful online music store, which only supports the iPod. Plus through the iTunes software you can also rip your own CDs and store digital AAC or MP3 files to your iPod.

The iPod/iTunes marketing combination was launched with hopes of Apple eventually selling more Macintosh computers to different users. The verdict is still out on that, though there has been some growth in that market too. However I don't really want Apple to take a really huge chunk of marketshare away from Microsoft PCs because with that success, the potential for people writing viruses and other malware for the MacOS increases. Success is a double edged sword here.

For the price the Ipod isn't worth it. One thing to remember is that Ipod uses a micro hard drive that is suseptible to vibration unlike dynamic memory that mostly every other MP3 player uses. With the amount of jerking one does to the beat of an Ipod, it's no wonder they crap out sooner than later. You're shaking the hell out of a hard drive with a spinning platter and a pickup. Eventually that pickup will crash into the hard drive and the only tune you'll hear out of your Ipod is the sound of silence which by the way was a great song back then.
        I recently broke down and bought not 1, but 2 iPods. I have the 40 GB iPod Photo which is hard drive based and a newer, smaller iPod Shuffle which is like a flash memory drive that plays music. No moving parts there except for the off and on switch, and no hard drives to crash.

The only thing I am still skeptical about (other than the hard drive eventually someday crashing on the 40GB) is the life of the built-in battery. But with so many iPod accessories out there, if you are willing to live with a dead battery iPod down the line, you can still run the thing on the optional AC power supply, have the battery replaced or run it through an external battery.

I hope my 2 iPods will last for a long time.

The iPod Shuffle is the one that I would recommend if you are the type that are always on the go and need a fairly rugged portable player. They don't hold as much music as the regular iPods, but I think they will take a beating and keep on ticking a little better than the more expensive hard drive based models.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What I like to see are better iPod integration packages into car audio systems. Although the FM transmitter options make listening to your music convienent, I am not fond of the sound quality.

I picked up a 20 GB 3G iPod a few years ago along with a kit that integrates into the car audio system. I can control the iPod from the head unit. Different playlists on the iPod are interpreted as CDs on the head unit.

The kit works fairly well, with a few bugs. Advancing tracks can be slow at times. In addition, you can not see the MP3 tags, for track and title info. I've also had a few instances where the head unit loses connectivity to the iPod. Upgrading the firmware on the iPod seems to have fixed this issue.

I heard Scion just released car kits for their line of cars. I've also heard some stock audio sound systems coming equipped with AUX inputs, which the iPod can connect into. I'm still looking for a kit for my Honda Pilot.

Comment

It would be nice to see an ongoing list of aftermarket car CD players or stereos that feature an aux input at the front of the unit so that we can plug our iPods in. I agree about the sound quality of the common FM transmitter type of hookup. I own an iTrip and a cheap plug into the cigarette lighter type of wired transmitter which I bought a few months ago at WaLmart. That works great with my 2 iPods.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
              It would be nice to see an ongoing list of aftermarket car CD players or stereos that feature an aux input at the front of the unit

I picked up a cheap stereo am fm casette player 15 bux or so at cinerama auto parts king/kalakaua
              It has rca jax in connection. for whatevas...
              suppose ipod could be input thru this eh?

Comment

BMW and Scion are auto companies I know of that offer iPod kits.

You can also check out the kit made by Alpine. You'll need to replace the head unit with an Alpine receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                  I still want to hear any reports of battery life in older iPods and what users around here did after the battery in the iPod would not recharge.
                  I ordered a new battery for my 3g 30gig iPod from Other World Computing for $25.99 when I found out Apple was charging $99 to fix their bug.

I had no problem changing the battery except I went with a sharp paring knife over their dorky plastic "tool" supplied to open the back.

I use my iPod while working in the coffee, weed eating, painting...I love it. New battery life is about 9 hours.

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    I picked up a cheap stereo am fm casette player 15 bux or so at cinerama auto parts king/kalakaua
                    It has rca jax in connection. for whatevas...
                    suppose ipod could be input thru this eh?
                    Yep, if it has an rca input all anyone needs is a 1/8 to rca patch cord.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Isnt that Checker Auto where the old Cinerama Theater used to be (still there but different venue now)

Going further on integrating an Ipod with a car stereo or any amplifier (whether it be home or car) as I've mentioned before I'd like to see Apple consider using Blue Tooth technology into their output. You talk about network sharing music/data files, this way two or more people can share your music wirelessly. Now we're talking Podcasting!

Using Blue Tooth you can upload and download either peer to peer or to a Blue Tooth equipped Ipod. With this technology, car radio's can communicate with an Ipod better than using an audio patch cord as Mel mentioned.

Now the reality check...the way cell phones are advancing and how some are already, it's a matter of time when your cell phone will do everything masterfully and seemlessly. Right now my cell phone is my most important "thing" I carry because it contains and does more than answer or make calls.

I believe Apple realizes this and in their marketing they must capture as many Ipod users as they can and cash out before Cell Phones can "do it all" and do it better than individual devices.

A friend of mine (like me) are gadget fanatics and yes we can afford the bulk of em out there. His problem is that he likes to wear most of his stuff so his belt looks like a Batman Utility belt. He had a problem getting in and out of his car with each device snagging onto the seat belt. So now he carries all of his stuff in his fanny pack or what I call his "Butt Bag".

I like to minimize the junk I have to carry. My car keys, watch, wallet and phone are all I carry at any given time. In due time (and it's already happening to a lesser degree), a cell phone will be as capable as the mightiest Ipod, best digital camera, efficient PDA and Web browser. Right now some phones incorporate some or all of these features but at lack lusture performance. But one day (soon) it'll all happen in one handheld device. I'm waiting for that day before I spend my bucks.

Being a seasoned gadget fanatic (been buying gadgets since the catalog "Things that Think" became "The Sharper Image", I've learned that it's not a wise thing to be the first to buy the coolest thing because in one year or less it'll be not so cool to brag about having to pay twice as much for a beta product only to see the next gen come out more powerful and half the price. McIntosh users know what I mean. Apple has been doing that since the development of the original Apple computer back in the early 80's.

It all comes down to Apple's Marketing department. The unit itself isn't a marvel of technology (yet). It's boring (simple), it's hard drive is prone to failure from repeated dropping, vibration whatever. And like Mel says, better to wait until an Ipod comes out with replaceable standard sized batteries as an option.

But like I said, better to wait until a cell phone comes out that perfects an all in one neat little package that you can buy at a low cost with activation thru your cellular provider.

I learned, I bought my first cell phone in 1984 because I had to have one in my car (yes it was a car cell phone). It cost me $1300 and to make it portable you had to buy the battery pack at around $100. The whole thing with the battery pack was about the size of those Igloo Playmate coolers that can hold a six-pack with a handset.

Then I had to be one of the first in Hawaii to own the first truly pocketable cell phone, the Diamond Tel 99x made by Mitsubishi at again $1300. Thank you Monica at (then) GTE Mobilnet for selling me that one (she was too cute to pass up that sale) Back then there were no calling plans, no free minutes, and no free phone! You bought your phone and paid $1.50 peak and $0.75 off-peak and going interisland meant roaming at a cost.

Yep I've learned that if you see a gizmo you like and gotta have, wait a year and a better gizmo at half the price will come out. People like me help pay for the R&D to get the next gen product out cheaper. In other words gadget fanatics like me are suckers and marketing people know that. Apple knows that too.

Comment

A friend of mine (like me) are gadget fanatics and yes we can afford the bulk of em out there. His problem is that he likes to wear most of his stuff so his belt looks like a Batman Utility belt. He had a problem getting in and out of his car with each device snagging onto the seat belt. So now he carries all of his stuff in his fanny pack or what I call his "Butt Bag".
                        Remember when you could tell the nerds by their pocket protectors? Now it's the utility belts. One gadget clipped to the belt I can handle, but three or four?

I like to minimize the junk I have to carry. My car keys, watch, wallet and phone are all I carry at any given time. In due time (and it's already happening to a lesser degree), a cell phone will be as capable as the mightiest Ipod, best digital camera, efficient PDA and Web browser. Right now some phones incorporate some or all of these features but at lack lusture performance. But one day (soon) it'll all happen in one handheld device. I'm waiting for that day before I spend my bucks.
                        Eh Craig, one thing you could do is to get rid of your watch and just use the clock on your cell phone -- unless you still want to show off the watch as jewelry rather than as a timepiece.

Comment

I think a bluetooth enable iPod would be a good idea. However I don't know whether or not the dreadful DRM will get in the way of this if it allows users to download songs from another person's iPod.

While the battery is still an issue, I finally bought not 1 but 2 iPods this year.. the hard drive based one, I use pretty much only with my home stereo system and the iPod Shuffle which is limited to the amount of content it can hold, is used as my go-anywhere device since it is flash memory based and I think more durable in terms of "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" use. I dropped the Shuffle a few times and sat on it by accident once. Still works.

As for cell phones, rumour has been circulating for about 2 years now that Apple will roll out a cell phone that will double as an iPod music device and allow for downloads from the iTunes and the iTunes Music Store. Some of the Mac rumour sites had pictures of a possible Apple/Motorola cell phone.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                            Remember when you could tell the nerds by their pocket protectors? Now it's the utility belts. One gadget clipped to the belt I can handle, but three or four?
                            Embarrasingly enough, I used to have to do this while I was contacting in California. I had:
                            1. Pager for contracting company
                            2. Duty pager every 3rd week.
                            3. Company cell phone
                            4. Personal cell phone
                            5. PDA
                            6. leatherman multi-tool

And at the time, I wondered why I could never find a date. =P
                            I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Funny though that utility belt worked for Batman getting all the chicks

One thing I need is my watch. I do use my phone for a watch at times and as a matter of fact my cell phone selection was based on the ability to display (in large numbers) the time on the outside of my flip phone. But I need a watch because a wrist watch is by far the best way to know what time it is conveniently.

Back in the early 80's I carried a Motorola Sensar pen pager because I hated carrying cigarette pack sized pagers. Even pager service back then had no plans and it was a flat rate for island/state/nation/global use. Then cell service came to Honolulu under Honolulu Cellular (Sprint) and GTE Mobilnet (Verizon) and I had to get a cell phone. The service was so new and GTE wanted to get their service out so soon that they leased cell space on Honolulu Cellular's cell sites until they got their own up and running.

At that time Verizon's prefix was 927-xxxx while Sprint's was 227. All Verizon customers had a temporary 227 prefix until they got their own site up. Verizon decided the best place to put their first cell-site was in Waikiki. Back then Waikiki's prefix was 926-xxxx so to distinguish the difference, all initial Verizon customers had the 927 prefix. Nowdays since a lot of inaugural customers have switched carriers, the 927 prefix is available again to Oahu users. I was one of the first few hundred cell users in the State of Hawaii although cell phones have been around since the mid 70's and in select cities like L.A. Washington D.C. and New York.

I think it'll be within a couple of years before we'll see an all inclusive mega cell phone with all the high end bells and whistles.

What would be really neat is to have the cell phone display a barcode that a scanner could read for all of your retail purchases too. Another for identity. Another for your store discount cards and another to start your car and open your house locks. Then I can leave my wallet, watch and keys on my dresser and just carry my super phone.

Hmmm maybe a special function button will turn it into my BMW then when I get to where I'm going that same button turns my BMW back into my cell phone...JUST LIKE GEORGE JETSON! Hey why not! I mean we are living in the 21-century or what I call the Jetson Era.
                              Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 18, 2005, 10:14 AM.

Comment

What would be really neat is to have the cell phone display a barcode that a scanner could read for all of your retail purchases too. Another for identity. Another for your store discount cards and another to start your car and open your house locks. Then I can leave my wallet, watch and keys on my dresser and just carry my super phone.
                                They do that in Japan already. See?

Comment

Working...
                                X