How To Train Your Dragon 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Train Your Dragon 2

I am irrationally fond of the first and original "How To Train Your Dragon." It was an absolute delight, an unexpected treat, for a new (well, largely unknown) series of children's books. It was untested, compared to a Marvel or other established franchise. I went in expecting another summer kids' filler film, but I came out in love. I loved the story, the characters, the animation, the music... two thumbs way up.

I wasn't sure how I felt about "How To Train Your Dragon 2." Even though, yes, there's more than one book, the first film stood alone so well I was worried they'd botch it. (I absolutely think "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2" sullied the greatness of its predecessor, for example.) Would we just have a rehash of the first movie with just a little more rude humor, some celebrity voice cameos, and flashier effects?

I'm happy to say the sequel is wonderful. Certainly not as good as the original, but who could expect that? We now know the world and these characters. But as a sequel -- any sequel, not just an animated children's movie sequel -- "How to Train Your Dragon 2" did so many things right.

The characters we loved were still true to themselves, yet just a little older and wiser. The world we discovered in the first film got bigger, in reasonable yet exciting ways. The animation was still spectacular, with the flying sequences just as delightful and with some action set pieces that I'd put up against any other grown-up action blockbuster. The music still stirred me, including an unexpected lyrical number.

I want to see it again. And I want a "How To Train Your Dragon 3."

Re: How To Train Your Dragon 2

Just wanted to mention that we rewatched the first How To Train Your Dragon film, and while the story is as charming as ever, it's incredible how much computer animation technology improved between the two movies. Compared to what's possible now, the first HTTYD feels almost like a Pixar demo reel from the '80s.

Well, not that bad, but I was surprised at how clearly things have advanced in just a few years.

Comment

Working...
    X