The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Plan to see the movie The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug which is a sequel to last year's movie The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey some time soon. I just don't know when that will be.

Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

i bought the hobbit on bluray for $6 for black friday.

i, too, am planning on watching the second movie... hopefully, soon

my friends say it is a loooooooooong movie.

joel

Comment

Saw this movie late last night at the Ward Theater. It was shown on the medium sized rooms and it was lightly attended.

There some decent action and chase scenes. Seems like everyone in the movie has something against the Dwarfs. There are the Orcs who are always after them. The Dwarfs get captured by the Elves and get put in the Elven dungeon. With Bilbo's help the Dwarfs escape the dungeon and manage to leave the Elven kingdom by going into wine barrels which is then dumped into the river. Then the Orcs show up chasing the Dwarfs attempting to kill them, then the Elves show up shooting at the Orcs. Of course the Dwarfs do fight back.

Comment

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
        Martin Freeman, Ian McKellan. Directed by Peter Jackson.

I loved The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey so much that I had to rein in my expectations for the sequel, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. I had a feeling it was going to disappoint in some way, but I didn’t want to predict what that would be.

Well here it is: I could totally understand if people thought the first Hobbit movie was overly ponderous and took its sweet time in weird places. I would have disagreed, but I’d get it. That’s not a criticism one would make about the second movie. It’s hardly ponderous at all, and the kind and thoughtful Bilbo is reduced almost to a hanger-on in this film that shifts its focus to a possible dwarf-elf romance, a human (?) son-redeeming-father’s-failure story, and lots of running around and bobbing about.

There is a lengthy action sequence involving dwarfs in barrels, and that’s really fun to watch, but I was left pretty cold by the rest of it, especially scenes involving Smaug, the dragon who sleeps in the Lonely Mountain from whom Bilbo is meant to take the Arkenstone so that Thorin and his brethren may reclaim their city.

I was pretty engaged throughout the film; I just really missed getting to know Bilbo more. Martin Freeman as the hobbit moved me to tears multiple times in the first film, but here he is just someone to root for, which is enough of a let-down to make this film just pretty good.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
        75/100 (Criticker rating)
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
        X