Rental Application Scams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental Application Scams

HUbby & I are still looking for apartment & we are avoiding Oishis, Trulia, Bill Ramsey, Zillow, etc..

We've tried almost everything & nothing works :-(. The only ones that seem to work half the time, is: The newspaper, & Craigslist, that's all!!.

We've seen placed that looks like a giant doll house or big enough for short people. lol. one with HUGE living room BUT small bedrooms, OR small living room, so so or ok size bedrooms, & 2 apartments we kind of like, but finding out that some one died in it or jumped out from that building . SIGH!!

We're looking anywhere from $1200 & under for 2 br with parking & Lanai/Patio. I actually have seen those prices but just too far or us.

WORSE YET!!!, people who are renting are, going around doing the application fee scams !!. WTH??!!!

At least some don't charge, but those who do, ranges from $10, $20, $30, $40, per person or even higher!!. WTH??!!!!

It should just be free!!.

I think they just started doing that (Application fee) this year, once they found out that people are gullible enough to pay it. sigh!!. :-(.

Even if we pay it, we're not even chosen to be renters. WTH??!!

My hubby & I do have good credits, we pay on time, etc.; some choose the ones that make less money than my hubby, or perhaps the ones that don't have good credit & can't pay on time, so that they can have control of them & be able to kick them out sooner?? lol.

WHAT??? Are we too cute as a couple?? or what?? at least give us the damn decency to give us an answer as to why you didn't choose us. GAWD!!.

OR another one....

They would tell us....

"You're 2nd lined up, or it takes 48 hours for us to process it, & we'll call you". yeah right!!!. Those who gives us time limits, & says they will call us in 48 hours etc. THEY DON'T!!!!, they make us wait longer than that, like maybe a week or longer!!.

Why even say they will call us in 48 hours or what ever?? & don't!!, why can't they just say "we'll call you when we make the decision" . So damn simple!!, That way there is no time limit & we are not wasting our damn time waiting for them to F**kin call us &/or wondering when they will call us!! WTH??!!.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Re: Application Scams??

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
    We're looking anywhere from $1200 & under for 2 br with parking & Lanai/Patio.
    Wow - those prices actually exist on O`ahu? That would be a bargain in ANY major Mainland city - and Hawai`i prices are generally higher still.
    WORSE YET!!!, people who are renting are, going around doing the application fee scams !!. WTH??!!!
    At least some don't charge, but those who do, ranges from $10, $20, $30, $40, per person or even higher!!. WTH??!!!!
    It should just be free!!.
    It costs landlords/rental agencies to run credit checks, so they simply pass on the fees to potential renters.
    at least give us the damn decency to give us an answer as to why you didn't choose us. GAWD!!.
    Maybe they read HT.

Comment

Leo....

I sure hope so!!. I really do. And thank you for your reply .
      Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Maybe they read HT.
        I got it! Badabing!

Don't get discouraged Serenity, I'm sure there is something out there that will fit your needs. I don't advertise on Craig's List or any of the Internet sites. I use a rental agent when I am looking for renters. They pre-screen everyone and it saves me time and the potential renters money.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          I'm sure there is something out there that will fit your needs.
          Yeah - what he said. Home-hunting is always stressful.

Comment

I got it! Badabing!

Don't get discouraged Serenity, I'm sure there is something out there that will fit your needs. I don't advertise on Craig's List or any of the Internet sites. I use a rental agent when I am looking for renters. They pre-screen everyone and it saves me time and the potential renters money.
            I tried an agent before, & I am not sure, cuz, she doesn't seem to get us, I emailed her the information, & still we got the ones that are far, & I feel bad having to bug her every time . Thanks for the reply & the encouragement .
            Last edited by Serenity; October 20, 2013, 02:45 PM.
            Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Yeah - what he said. Home-hunting is always stressful.
              Thanks Leo , and yes it is unfortunately, & time consuming as well for my hubby & I, seeing as he is taxi driver, & he must/need to make money to make ends meet .

What's the point when all they want is just our damn time & money, & obviously they wont even consider us at all for renters, when we pay our rent on time & we have good credits etc..!!! WTH??!!!
              Aches & Pains

Comment

Re: Rental Application Scams

Sometimes I think that we may actually have better chances in finding a place under HT than the newspaper & craigslist.
                Aches & Pains

Comment

Sometimes I think that we may actually have better chances in finding a place under HT than the newspaper & craigslist.
                  Yes, that is called "networking." Get the word out to as many people as you can. Here is one of my pet peeves..........when you find something, let people know you are no longer looking. One time I busted usi finding a friend an apartment and had to pull some strings to find them the perfect unit. When I offered the unit to them, they said, "we already found something a month ago." Obviously, I will not be doing any apartment hunting for them in the future!
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

It's a landlord's market, so they can charge what renters are willing to pay... including application fees. Craigslist is full of scams. Friends who've landed decent places all found them through personal referrals.

I also think $1,200 for a two bedroom is incredibly optimistic. I was looking at $1,800 for two bedrooms years ago, and some of those places, in decent neighborhoods, were pretty small. Some "two bedrooms" only get their second bedroom via a sliding door splitting the main living area.

Comment

We're looking anywhere from $1200 & under for 2 br with parking & Lanai/Patio. I actually have seen those prices but just too far or us.
                      I've a child at UH that lives off campus, and between them and their various friends that live in town, none have come up with an apartment that fits your description. Bumping up to $1600 would open more doors, or maybe settling for something less, like only 1 bedroom, or no lanai.

I think they just started doing that (Application fee) this year, once they found out that people are gullible enough to pay it.
                      That has been going on for more than a decade. We paid a fee when renting while our house was being readied, and had to pay a decade ago. It seemed a small money-making fee for the realtors to charge then, and it still seems so now.
                      Last edited by Amati; October 20, 2013, 11:38 PM.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Speaking of scams...

From craigslist reply to me on yahoo email.....

" Hello,
                        Thank you for the most eloquent response to my listing, I'm the owner of the apartment you are making inquiry of. Actually me and my Wife resided in the apartment, before i lost My Wife in a ghastly motor accident so i had to decide to let it out since i alone can not live alone in my apartment and i have just been transferred to Kansas City { Missouri } due to my work so i don't want my apartment to be there without no one living in my apartment that's why i intend renting out my apartment to whoever is interested in renting my apartment and It includes utilities like hydro, washer and security, I have my furniture in the apartment if you which to move in with your furnished items there is a storage area where you can move my furniture's, no problem. Please i want you to note that i am a kind and honest young man and also from the photos you should know that i and my wife have spent a fortune on the property that i want to give you for rent, i will want you to take absolute care of my apartment and I want you to treat it as your own, as trust is the most important thing but i want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for check up.All utilities included electric (Heat, A/C, Gas, Cable, High Speed, Internet, Water, Sewer, Trash Removal).

======== RENT APPLICATION FORM ============
                        PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL

Also,Pls answer these questions below:
                        * 1)Your Full Name__________________________ ____________
                        2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone
                        Number________________________ ______
                        3)How old are you _____________________________
                        4)Are you married ______________________________ _____
                        5)How many people will be living in the Home__________________________ _
                        6)Do you have a pet ______________________________ ___________
                        7)Do you have a car ______________________________ ____________
                        8)Occupation ______________________________ ___________________
                        9)How long are you willing to stay ______________________________
                        option)_______________________ __________________

12) Pictures of all the Occupant that will stay in my
                        Home__________________________

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it
                        in my file incase of issuing the receipt in your name and contacting
                        you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how i will get the
                        documents and the keys to you.please I am giving you all this based on
                        trust and again i want you to stick to your words,i am putting everything
                        into Gods hand,so please do not let me down on this property of mine and God
                        bless you more as you do this.

Regard "

I am definitely crying & feeling sorry for this person inside .Where do I sign up ?.
                        Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          It's a landlord's market, so they can charge what renters are willing to pay... including application fees. Craigslist is full of scams. Friends who've landed decent places all found them through personal referrals.

I also think $1,200 for a two bedroom is incredibly optimistic. I was looking at $1,800 for two bedrooms years ago, and some of those places, in decent neighborhoods, were pretty small. Some "two bedrooms" only get their second bedroom via a sliding door splitting the main living area.
                          This is quite far for us, but... here you go any way.....

$1200/2br- Move in Special Wahiawa -
                          http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/4031706302.html

I have seen lower prices than that too, far away!!. Like right now as we speak.
                          Aches & Pains

Comment

Yes, that is called "networking." Get the word out to as many people as you can. Here is one of my pet peeves..........when you find something, let people know you are no longer looking. One time I busted usi finding a friend an apartment and had to pull some strings to find them the perfect unit. When I offered the unit to them, they said, "we already found something a month ago." Obviously, I will not be doing any apartment hunting for them in the future!
                            seeing as hubby & I have not found a place yet, I am not going to send a message to my agent who tries to help us that we have found a place, I have thought about it long ago, in sending her an email once we find a place, & letting her know, so that she wont have to take time out of her busy schedule to continue to help us when we've found a place. I will still continue to have her help me until we actually get a place for us.

I am sorry those people didn't let you know, & I bet didn't even bother to thank you too.

I would be angry too.

At least hubby & I are not that kind of people as to not make mention that we did find a place & would leave an agent hanging.

Who does that?? any way!!. Sheesh.
                            Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              I've a child at UH that lives off campus, and between them and their various friends that live in town, none have come up with an apartment that fits your description. Bumping up to $1600 would open more doors, or maybe settling for something less, like only 1 bedroom, or no lanai.
                              Maybe they didn't look in craigslist ??? or elsewhere like in placebee.com or newspaper?? I have also seen $1200 or less in the newspaper too.

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              That has been going on for more than a decade. We paid a fee when renting while our house was being readied, and had to pay a decade ago. It seemed a small money-making fee for the realtors to charge then, and it still seems so now.
                              Really??? When I was single, sometime before the year 2000, I was looking for just a bedroom, & there was no fee at all, & I have filled out quite a few. Around the year 2002, my hubby & I looked around, filled out quite a few for apartment hunting, & we weren't charged then either, AND plus, once we found this place where we are now, the lady who rented this apartment to us, didn't charge us at all, so that's news to me.
                              Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                              X