X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror
    Julia Roberts, Lily Collins, Armie Hammer, Nathan Lane

The nice thing about a movie like Mirror Mirror is that the reviewer doesn’t really have to summarize it, because who doesn’t know the story of Snow White? All that really remains is to mention whatever this film’s unique take is, and then to evaluate it on its terms.

Julia Roberts is the evil step-mom queen, ruled completely by vanity. If she is evil, it is an evil driven only by the desire to be beautiful and desired. Lavish parties she throws seem to exist for the sole purpose of showing off how great she looks in elaborate costumes, and the taxes she collects are increased only to cover the growing expense of looking beautiful and courting handsome, younger princes who can then provide the wealth she needs to continue to be the fairest of them all.

Lily Collins, who was Sandra Bullock’s older daughter in The Blind Side (and Phil Collins’s real-life daughter, believe it or not), is truly beautiful as Snow White, a smart, compassionate, beloved princess who convinces the seven dwarfs to train her in their thieving, fighting ways, and then further convinces them to steal only from the queen so they can give the money back to the citizens. There isn’t a Dopey or Sneezy to be found among these dwarfs, but a certain dark, cartoon-like collection of personalities is still tame enough to keep the movie PG.

While the film definitely has some dark tones, it’s more a comedy than anything else, and except for a scary beast in the forest, it’s a pretty kid-safe film. Roberts seems to be having a lot of fun indulging herself as the queen in a seemingly endless series of ridiculous gowns, and Collins is just as winning as can be. It’s a fun movie.

I normally hate, hate, hate, hate musical numbers that close out a movie, but the Bollywood-inspired “I Believe in Love,” sung by Collins, is fun and poppy, and I was pretty much sucked in. I even bought the single.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
    74/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Mirror Mirror

I happened to watch this the other night, so I thought I'd comment. Okay, I watched most of it, but it so boring and flat that I just couldn't sit through the whole movie - a real rarity for me. Giant dwarfs - that sums up the movie. It's trying to find a new take on a classic and in doing so, fails miserably through ridiculous gimmicks. I enjoyed the Bollywood aspect, but I love the rich frivolity of many Bollywood numbers. Movie gets a 52/100 from me (watch it with children and focus your attention on the them).
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Re: Mirror Mirror

Since Julia Roberts played the bad person in the movie. Was there still a scene where she laughs with her mouth wide open?

Comment

Working...
      X