iPod 30gb or 60gb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod 30gb or 60gb?

Aloha Kakou everyone! I have a question...I have iTunes on my PC and nearly 6,000 titles in it. I bought a iPod shuffle 512mb to start and see how I liked it, well I love it and am ready to upgrade. The 30gb holds 7,500 titles and since I am close to that, should I get the 60gb? Or just hang tight with the 30gb?

The 30 gb from what I understand is a little smaller. Is the size difference between the two noticeable at all? I haven't really compared the two at the Apple store yet. Your feedback on this is appreciated.

Hapaguy

Re: iPod 30gb or 60gb?

Here's what it comes down to in my mind...do you want your whole library on your ipod, or do you make play lists and keep favorites on it? If so then the 30 will probably be fine. If you are a completist and someone who's constantly adding to thier music collection, then I'd recommend the 60gig. If you want to use the video function extensively then I'd definitely go for the 60 gig. The 60 gig is, as I remember, about an 1/8" thicker than the 30 gig.

I have a G4 30 gig photo ipod. I pick and choose what's on it, and I also use it as a portable hard drive (I back up my server to it and then move the files to a external drive attached to my home pc). I usually have about 1500 songs, a few dozen pod casts, and about 16 gig of data on it at a time. I'm happy with the capacity of my 30 gig, but if I need to replace it, I think I'll spend the extra $100 for double the HD space.

Comment

Hm, now I am tempted to buy a 60 gig with video capabilities.

Comment

I agree with spending the extra $100 and getting twice the space. I mean according to you, your approaching the 30 gb limit anyways.

Comment

I own a 30GB, my wife a 60GB. Her collection wouldn't fit on a 30GB, and she's a "completist." (She also seems to inherit buggy hardware from me, so in a way her iPod is the best backup of her music collection -- viva la Senuti! Saved my hide just last night when her computer died.) Me? It'll take me a few years to fill the 30GB, but I definitely see the appeal of also having several GB of backup data on me at all times.

If you were happy with a Shuffle and the way iTunes would mix and update it with a subset of your larger music collection, you could probably be quite happy with a Nano (no hard drive to die! Nike integration!), let alone a 30GB video iPod. But if you're going to jump all the way to 30GB, I agree that the price differential for double the space means you might as well go all the way.

Not that I regret going with the 30GB -- it's thinner, and seems to have a longer battery life, for one.

But watch out for the inevitable Apple product line refreshes. Folks are expecting a bigger Nano soon, and there's always the looming possibility of a whole new iPod model. If you don't have the cash now, don't force it, get as much as you can comfortably afford and save up for the Next Big Thing(tm).

Comment

Mahalo all for the wikiwiki responses! I am a total "completist" and would want my whole collection on my iPod, so the 60gb would be the one for me. I may take an intermediate step and get a 2GB Nano for now before I make the full leap. Really, the one reason why I would want to keep all my music on my iPod is if my PC even "crashed" at least my music collection would be salvaged. Please keep the responses coming.

Aloha,
            Hapaguy

Comment

Man I remember back in the 70's when we would brag about our record collection being as big as several bookcases filling an entire living room wall describing the immensity by the stretching our arms apart as far as possible.

Now the bragging rights are in fraction of inches thick and gigabytes with two fingers showing how thick an Ipod is.

And the really amazing part is...the iPod would hold far greater the number of tunes a living room wall could hold.

When KQMQ became sister stations with KGU back in the late 80's (about the time when Qseng was fired) we had a Sony computer controlled CD Vault system that held two racks of maybe four consoles that each held 200-CDs. That was KQMQ's audio library for their automation system before Hard Drive systems became the norm. So you're talking 1600 albums but only using maybe 50% of each CD for broadcast. If a typical CD holds roughly 10 songs thats 16,000 songs but using only 8,000 of them.

At 7,500 songs on a 30-gig iPod, a 60-gig iPod would have held about twice the amount that KQMQ could play at any given time.

Basically run the Prophet system thru an iPod and you got KSSK-FM's audio library in the palm of your hand. BTW Prophet ran on Windows 3.11 up until a few years ago (while XP was available)

Amazing how times have changed in just over a decade and a half.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

When any of you are ready to upgrade, let me know. I need an Ipod...but don't have a lot of music so don't need anything too fancy. Every time I try to get one on Craigslist, they're gone by the time I respond.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy
                  When any of you are ready to upgrade, let me know. I need an Ipod...but don't have a lot of music so don't need anything too fancy. Every time I try to get one on Craigslist, they're gone by the time I respond.
                  You should check out the refurbished products page in the apple store - they knock about $100 off of the prices (30gig = $200, 60gig = $300), you get a limited warranty, and you don't have to deal with craigslist scammers.
                  I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa
                    You should check out the refurbished products page in the apple store - they knock about $100 off of the prices (30gig = $200, 60gig = $300), you get a limited warranty, and you don't have to deal with craigslist scammers.
                    I second this recommendation! I bought my 17" G4 Powerbook from the Apple refurbished page and got essentially a new laptop for about a 1/3 off retail price (which with Apple is almost always the ONLY price).

Comment

I agree with everyone on checking out apple.com's refurb. page in the store link. Good prices!

Comment

Working...
                      X