Rental Application Scams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rental Application Scams

You might want to also try the HI Board of Realtors website: www.hicentral.com

Though they have made the checking of vacant units on their site more intricate and frustrating, sometimes you may be awarded a lower rental price compared to what is on craigslist.com

Property management firms are more knowledgeable on the going rent markets in an area compared to an individual owner who advertises on craigslist.com and charges what he/she feels are 'in their heart' as (sometimes) it means a lot to them and so they FEEL they can get what they want.

Sometimes you will see a property management firm advertise on both the BOR website and also on craigslist.com, but if you look closely, they (sneakily?) make it $25 or $50 MORE on craigslist.com . (wth?)

I would trust the BOR website more, or even go to the property management's own websites for several have their own and show their vacant rental units.

I used to be a property manager for a large diverse property management firm (that have since fell from grace due to a stupid, stupid COSTLY error by the principals when they selected their successor to lead the company since they were retiring)from the mid 1980s to the early 2000s, and back in the early 2000s, we started to initiate a charge fee for applicants (adults having to pay)--to offset doing credit report charges, and to see how REALLY interested they were in the unit...for we had applicants apply for several units and this was wasting our assistants' time and energy only to find out later that the prospective tenant were no longer interested in the unit if and when we offered them the unit...That's why mgmt firms started to initiate these so call 'processing fees'. Yes, sometimes, we didn't even get around to doing their credit reports, but their $ was not returned to them, as we had a disclaimer written on the written rental applications stating so...so if they knew about it, they either had to or not have to submit an application.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
      You might want to also try the HI Board of Realtors website: www.hicentral.com

Though they have made the checking of vacant units on their site more intricate and frustrating, sometimes you may be awarded a lower rental price compared to what is on craigslist.com

Property management firms are more knowledgeable on the going rent markets in an area compared to an individual owner who advertises on craigslist.com and charges what he/she feels are 'in their heart' as (sometimes) it means a lot to them and so they FEEL they can get what they want.

Sometimes you will see a property management firm advertise on both the BOR website and also on craigslist.com, but if you look closely, they (sneakily?) make it $25 or $50 MORE on craigslist.com . (wth?)

I would trust the BOR website more, or even go to the property management's own websites for several have their own and show their vacant rental units.

I used to be a property manager for a large diverse property management firm (that have since fell from grace due to a stupid, stupid COSTLY error by the principals when they selected their successor to lead the company since they were retiring)from the mid 1980s to the early 2000s, and back in the early 2000s, we started to initiate a charge fee for applicants (adults having to pay)--to offset doing credit report charges, and to see how REALLY interested they were in the unit...for we had applicants apply for several units and this was wasting our assistants' time and energy only to find out later that the prospective tenant were no longer interested in the unit if and when we offered them the unit...That's why mgmt firms started to initiate these so call 'processing fees'. Yes, sometimes, we didn't even get around to doing their credit reports, but their $ was not returned to them, as we had a disclaimer written on the written rental applications stating so...so if they knew about it, they either had to or not have to submit an application.
      hmmm....

That's very interesting to know, & thank you very much for that . & Thank you very much for the reply, & the info.
      *thumbs up*

p.s. is there in any way an information that states that people can get their money back if they are not even picked as tenants? & not even took the time to look at the credits?

ohhh, why even post false infos in craigslists, & reply with a really sob story (like what I got)? Are they hoping to get something out of it??
      Aches & Pains
      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Regarding getting back your 'application processing fee'. you will have to call them to find out...some do return to those who were not selected (just charging the applicants who were selected), but I believe many will hold onto the monies received...as long as there is a disclaimer present on the rental application that is to be filled out by the prospective tenants.

There still are even the few that still do NOT charge an application fee...so the prospective needs to do their homework.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
          We're looking anywhere from $1200 & under for 2 br with parking & Lanai/Patio. I actually have seen those prices but just too far or us.
          Originally posted by Amati View Post
          I've a child at UH that lives off campus, and between them and their various friends that live in town, none have come up with an apartment that fits your description. Bumping up to $1600 would open more doors, or maybe settling for something less, like only 1 bedroom, or no lanai.
          [B]Maybe they didn't look in craigslist ??? or elsewhere like in placebee.com or newspaper?? I have also seen $1200 or less in the newspaper too.
          Well now I am confused. You gave your rental needs, I said that the group of people I know renting near UH could not find apartments with those specifics, but you replied that they are available. If they are available, why don't you rent one of those?
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Well now I am confused. You gave your rental needs, I said that the group of people I know renting near UH could not find apartments with those specifics, but you replied that they are available. If they are available, why don't you rent one of those?
            Huh???

I think you must have missed this post....

This is quite far for us, but... here you go any way.....

$1200/2br- Move in Special Wahiawa -
            http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/4031706302.html

I have seen lower prices than that too, far away!!. Like right now as we speak.
            I said it was far for us to live in places such as Waihiawa, Kaneohe, waipahu, Salt lake, Makaha, Waianea, Kailua, etc, because my hubby does not like coming from that area just to come to town to work & waste gas, which is not worth the money to waste at all. We live towards Kuakini/Liliha side, & towards town is pretty much where the actions are, & where it is the busiest. WE would rather live in town , but not any where near & in Waikiki either.

Even if it is $1200 or less, we're still not gonna take the time to look at it, &/or to even rent it for us.

We are looking for certain area, & something that is not 6 foot 8 or 6 foot 9 in height inside the apartment, & yes those heights do exists. We've seen it.
            Last edited by Serenity; October 22, 2013, 10:52 AM.
            Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
              Regarding getting back your 'application processing fee'. you will have to call them to find out...some do return to those who were not selected (just charging the applicants who were selected), but I believe many will hold onto the monies received...as long as there is a disclaimer present on the rental application that is to be filled out by the prospective tenants.

There still are even the few that still do NOT charge an application fee...so the prospective needs to do their homework.
              Thank you so much for the reply Will definitely look into it .
              Aches & Pains

Comment

Huh???

I think you must have missed this post....
                Well no need for both of us to be confused. I'll exit this thread with the best wishes for you finding a low priced 2 bedroom with lanai and parking, in town, and that does not have an application scam involved.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Well no need for both of us to be confused. I'll exit this thread with the best wishes for you finding a low priced 2 bedroom with lanai and parking, in town, and that does not have an application scam involved.
                  ohh. ok. Thank you , & me too . Thank you for your reply back.
                  Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                  X