What happened here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened here?

This board was full of people and regulars and threads on every forum. What happened? Mahalo.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: What happened here?

Facebook. Twitter. etc.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Happens at a lot of fora these days. As long as HT is here, many of us will still be (especially if we don't Facebook).

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
        This board was full of people and regulars and threads on every forum. What happened? Mahalo.
        You've posted five times since January 2009, a year and a half ago, and one of those five is this post.

Good discussion fora tend to have waves of hyperactivity and hyperinactivity. It happens; there are lulls in any extended conversation. Mailing lists are the same way. I won't discount Mel's suggestion that it's about Twitter and Facebook, but I think it's more than that: most of us who've been here a while have said what we have to say about a great number of topics. Almost every time someone new signs up and starts a topic, it gets merged into an older thread that was begun years ago.

I still check in every day. I contribute when I have something original or meaningful to say. If you are unhappy with the current level activity, may I suggest you post something interesting that sparks discussion? This thread reminds me of an old Beetle Bailey strip. The sign outside the club says LADIES' NIGHT TONIGHT. In the next panel, Killer complains to the bartender: "Why is this place full of guys?" In the third panel, you see that the bar is full of men with not one woman in sight. The bartender says, "What are YOU doing here?"
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          You've posted five times since January 2009, a year and a half ago, and one of those five is this post.

Good discussion fora tend to have waves of hyperactivity and hyperinactivity. It happens; there are lulls in any extended conversation. Mailing lists are the same way. I won't discount Mel's suggestion that it's about Twitter and Facebook, but I think it's more than that: most of us who've been here a while have said what we have to say about a great number of topics. Almost every time someone new signs up and starts a topic, it gets merged into an older thread that was begun years ago.

I still check in every day. I contribute when I have something original or meaningful to say. If you are unhappy with the current level activity, may I suggest you post something interesting that sparks discussion? This thread reminds me of an old Beetle Bailey strip. The sign outside the club says LADIES' NIGHT TONIGHT. In the next panel, Killer complains to the bartender: "Why is this place full of guys?" In the third panel, you see that the bar is full of men with not one woman in sight. The bartender says, "What are YOU doing here?"
          ooooooooooooooh, burn!

Nah, but for real...everyone's posting on facebook or other fora.

I check this board every day if there's something interesting, or add something if I think it's worth sharing.

I spend most of my time at http://forums.projectcovo.com
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

There are hulu for programs that you missed on tv and video games so realistic that you don't want to leave your seat.

Comment

This board was full of people and regulars and threads on every forum. What happened?
              Part of the problem is some users tend to rely on the "Latest" option. If a thread is not listed there, it seems to be forgotten even though it still exist.

According to the HawaiiThreads main page as I write this there are over 252,700 posts across 14,200 threads so that stuff is there ready to be read.

I would like to say that maybe the next 2 weeks might get interesting due to:
              • Primary Election
              • The start of the Fall 2010 TV season
              • The start of Hawaii Five-0

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                I would like to say that maybe the next 2 weeks might get interesting due to:
                • Primary Election
                • The start of the Fall 2010 TV season
                • The start of Hawaii Five-0
                And Hawai'i beats Army. Go 'Bows!
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

There have been less replies in all forums I've been on lately. Even on Hawaii Forums with a younger demo and one sentence posts have less activity on their General Chat thread.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    Part of the problem is some users tend to rely on the "Latest" option. If a thread is not listed there, it seems to be forgotten even though it still exist.[/LIST]

On this note, I grew up among forum communities where "thread necromancy" was frowned upon. If you posted in a non-current thread, you'd be chided. Reviving old posts was not proper. So I am very much a New/Latest forum user, and if a post has not been touched in a week, I'm very unlikely to reply to it unless I have something really important or relevant to say.

In regards to the original poster.. it's always sort of been this way, at least since I've been a member. HT is a slow board, which is nice in a way because it means I can go days without checking and not feel completely out of the loop. I don't mind it.
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                      [...] So I am very much a New/Latest forum user, and if a post has not been touched in a week, I'm very unlikely to reply to it unless I have something really important or relevant to say.[...]
                      Oh my, sophielynette, one week in HT time is nuthin'! It takes me that long to formulate a reply!!! Seriously, one year in HT time shouldn't stop someone from bumping a thread as long as his/her reply is on topic. I, too, am a New/Latest user 'cuz it fits into my lazy nature!

Comment

Certainly in my case, I post more on Facebook than anywhere else. But I stop in here several times a week to check latest posts and comment if I have anything I want to say.

Comment

Same same for me...latest threads, read over what's up, etc. If I have a question or comment on something not recent, I bump old threads. I think some of those threads are very entertaining....

Comment

The one thing about Facebook - is that you can moderate your own space and read or keep track of messages/people that you'd be interested in to the exclusion of everyone else.

So like on my Facebook, even though I have some "liberal" friends, most of the "friends" i have there skew "conservative" and so does the wall postings, etc... at least when it comes to political topics. Ditto for my Twitter stream.

And like this place, Facebook is open to all kinds of other topics, posts, etc., but for the most part on your own profile, you can control it if you know how to get through the sometimes annoying or arcane interface they have for that, mainly by choosing who your "friends" are. You can also delete wall postings you don't want on your profile.

One thing I like about here, is that there are no annoying apps that I have to disallow on my Facebook stream - you know, those annoying games and stuff. I mean I got to a point where I wished I could kill everyone in Mafia wars and poison all the farm animals! It's a good thing Facebook lets users stop getting progress posts about these various, annoying game updates.
                            Last edited by mel; September 12, 2010, 09:15 AM.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

does FB have a Hawaiithreads group page, Mel?
                              flickr

An email from God:
                              To: People of Earth
                              Date: 9/04/2007
                              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

Working...
                              X