Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any good books?

Originally posted by Ailina
    Aloha e Aleno. I have to plug James Michener's Hawaii.

From what I understand, there was also a movie based on the book, but I haven't seen it, and I'm not sure if its any good.
    you...
    have not seen...
    "Hawaii".
    hmmmm.

oh. It's good, allright.
    richard harris.
    How could it NOT be "any good"?

go rent it now.
    Look for cameos of
    bette midler
    Zulou of "Howareya five oh" fame.

(ok, maybe I am prejudiced; I watched them film some of it...)

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
      I ran across this in a medical newsletter. "Plague and Fire: Battling Black Death and the 1900 Burning of Honolulu's Chinatown" (Oxford University Press, 2004) represents the culmination of a project that was sparked about 20 years ago when Mohr spotted a simple sign while walking in Honolulu's modern Chinatown.

It tells the story of how the not-yet-territorial government turned control of the city over to public health officials to fight the bubonic plague outbreak of that year. Looks interesting.

Cool.

and that IS following the thread, in that; this episode of history is covered in the movie: "The Hawaiians", the 2nd part of Michner's book, and considered the 2nd part of the movie "Hawaii"...

Comment

I have several recomendations. My all time favorite is, "My Time in Hawaii." Can't recall the authors name but it can be easily found. Secondly I liked "Our Hawaii" by John and Bobbye McDermott. Also a great poet is Don Blanding at www.don-blanding.com He was quite a guy who did all the artwork in his books.

Comment

Try reading Moloka'i by Alan Brennert.. it's a novel that tells an amazing story of life in Hawaii.. You could learn much from the story about the history of Hawaii too.. because the main character who is Rachel Kalama would take you to a journey, to an experience of knowing the culture, the disease (mai' pake), the place in 3 generations... but what's cooler is you'll get to learn lessons about life, loss, challenges and love, and more...

Don't miss checkin' out this book.. coz it's really, really AWESOME!!!
          Originally posted by Olgica
          Not long ago I read this awesome book by Nana Veary called "Change We Must". It's an amazing book about her life in Hawaii, the old days and how the Hawaiians used to live, her spiritual journey and so on. She speaks about metaphysical truths that can be applied practically to daily life and also adds guided meditations for morning and evening. It felt almost like reading the Dalai Lama. I strongly recommend this book!!
          sounds great
          AMERICA VOTES 2008: VOTE FOR JJK & KUCINICH!

http://www.freewebs.com/vote4dreamteam
          Mahalo!

Comment

The K Street Gang: The Rise and Fall of the Republican Machine

The Author: Mathew Continetti

Part of the book description: It's the inside story of how a group of self-styled Republican reformers succumbed to the temptations of power, becoming even worse than the Democrats they had been elected to replace.

An Interview

Full description on AMAZON

Check it out. I will sometime too.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
            X