Molokai Ranch closing operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Molokai Ranch closing operations

I could buy the argument that private property was being infringed upon with Judge Ibarra's Hokulia decision. Oceanside had the entitlements in place and sold 190 lots already. That was a case book example of private property being stolen

But I have sell the argument that the latter applies to the Molokai Ranch debacle.Molokai Ranch did not have entitlements to build anything at La'au. So legally nothing was taken. The process worked as it supposed to have. The community at large spoke out against developing La'au- case closed.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
      Molokai Ranch did not have entitlements to build anything at La'au
      Don't they own La'au?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        Don't they own La'au?
        Molokai Ranch was still at the mercy of the state Land Use Commision. Jt, you know that owning property doesn't necessarily mean you can do whatever you want with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
          Molokai Ranch was still at the mercy of the state Land Use Commision. Jt, you know that owning property doesn't necessarily mean you can do whatever you want with it.
          Yes, but it falls back on a point TimKona made.

This whole thread is about the erosion of private property rights. Many folks on the left side of the coin just don't like the notion of private property or property rights.

Comment

The plans for La'au are not dead. Guoco still is hoping that economic pressure on the community will cause the activists to capitulate. When/if they do and the development of La'au starts, that's when Molokai Ranch will open up the town of Maunaloa again. West End residents are being held captive by a petulant and vengeful absentee landlord who has no intention of selling any of its assets on Molokai no matter what price is offered.

At the same time, Guoco is a multibillion dollar organization and the Molokai Ranch property is just a drop in the bucket for them in their portfolio. So if it has to lay fallow for 10-15 years, so be it. They know the price of land will never go down.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Yes, but it falls back on a point TimKona made.

This whole thread is about the erosion of private property rights. Many folks on the left side of the coin just don't like the notion of private property or property rights.

There was no erosion of property rights here. Molokai Ranch withdrew their EIS for the develpment on their own and failed to submit a revised EIS.

There will always be a difference of philosophy between those like Tim, who view land as something to exploit for profit, and those like Walter Ritte, who view the land as a means of sustainability. When sustainabilty trumps profit, it's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                The plans for La'au are not dead. Guoco still is hoping that economic pressure on the community will cause the activists to capitulate.
                These "activists" will never capitulate.

Comment

...and down come the coconut trees: http://www.kitv.com/video/15852533/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    ...and down come the coconut trees: http://www.kitv.com/video/15852533/index.html
                    Oh, that KITV site sucks. Two ads just to see a clip that blasted me out with the volume.

- falling coconuts
                    - solving the problem cheaply

Comment

• Re: Molokai Ranch closing operations

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Oh, that KITV site sucks.
                      No argument there. I "borrowed" the link from another board; I should have added a warning about the two ads, sorry.

Comment

I am exceptional at exploiting land. For instance, I grow 3 varieties of avocado, lotsa papaya, 2 kinds of banana, oranges, tangerines, mango, red & green ti (for the halau), in addition to orchids, anthuriums, gardenia, mini-roses, and a full seasonal vegetable garden. Oh and dont forget all the other stuff that I cant remember right now.

All on a half acre.

What was your question?

(You kinda creepin me out.)
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                          I am exceptional at exploiting land. For instance, I grow 3 varieties of avocado, lotsa papaya, 2 kinds of banana, oranges, tangerines, mango, red & green ti (for the halau), in addition to orchids, anthuriums, gardenia, mini-roses, and a full seasonal vegetable garden. Oh and dont forget all the other stuff that I cant remember right now.

All on a half acre.

What was your question?

(You kinda creepin me out.)
                          Did you dedicate your lot to Ag, Tim?

Comment

More news here

Molokai Ranch gives 1,600 acres to land trust

Advertiser Staff

A 2-year-old nonprofit group has signed an agreement to acquire 1,600 acres of rugged Moloka'i coastal property from Molokai Ranch at no cost.
                            The binding deal between ranch parent company Molokai Properties Ltd. and the Molokai Land Trust is subject to due diligence, but is expected to result in gifting the land to the nonprofit trust for preservation.
                            The land covers five miles along Moloka'i's north shore, and includes rocky cliffs, an extensive tidal pool system, fishing shrines and ancient adze quarry. Known as the Mokio parcel, the area between 'Ilio Point and Mo'omomi is regarded by Molokai Enterprise Community as the most environmentally significant land owned by Molokai Ranch, and also includes bird nesting sites and an acre of the endangered endemic Hawaiian 'ihi'ihi lauakea plant that is estimated to be the largest concentration in the state.
                            Molokai Land Trust plans to create a land management plan for the site that will include community access and monitoring of natural and cultural resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender View Post
                              More news here
                              Someone pointed out that this parcel of land may be the same piece that the UPC wants to use for its windfarms and that it was willing to fork over $50 million to the land trust to purchase from Molokai Ranch. If this is true, then Guoco is really playing dirty pool. If the land trust accepts this parcel, then more than likely UPC's offer of $50 million goes away, leaving the Land Trust with very little cash in the bank to try to purchase more acreage.

It may be seen by some people as a slight concession to Molokai for Guoco to give up 1600 of land worthless to development in the first place (but which is environmentally and culturally sensitive), but it also throws a monkeywrench in the plans of the Land Trust to stop La'au from becoming the part time home of 200 multimillionaires.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

According to this post in the Molokai Advertiser, not only did the Ranch cut down perfectly good coconut trees that ringed Kaluakoi Golf Course to use as barricades to keep people out, but they also took to the landfill barely used or new items like bedding and towels left over from their hotel operations.

"There seems to be a pattern...The Ranch has a need and they fail to consider alternatives, as with their Master plan, as with their decision to "mothball". Instead, they make choices regardless of how others feel. True, private land owners have rights, but on Molokai, we have a special ethical code we live by, that makes Molokai unique, and allows aloha to flourish. There were other options, the people, plain, simple folks, volunteered to bring alternative barricade materials, I know people who would have come and transplanted the plants/trees and given them good homes. It took James Millar and his staff a lot of hard work and water to make that golf course come alive again. So sad to see it ruined, no matter what the motive or intention. It seems wasteful, just like all the stuff theyre throwing away at the dump - brand new things, still packaged! Blankets, dishes, furniture, etc. People have suggested making donations to Salvation Army, MOC, or allowing the staff to take stuff home, or even piling it each day at the Maunaloa park so residents can help themselves and make use at least. No, instead, they prefer to fill our landfill with their "rubbish" that still has a lot of use left. Theyʻd rather see it at the dump, than allow the people of this island to squeeze any blessings out of them. But, thats their right. They can do whatever they like. So beware the next time you hear them say the have the communityʻs best interest at heart, that they listen, that they consider what is best for everyone, that they care. Just be aware..."

Comment

Working...
                                X