X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 2

Originally posted by Albert
    Sheez, if you don't like Wal-Mart, don't work there, don't shop there.

What is all this fuss???

whats the fuss...
    what IS the fuss?!

Albert! wheah you been, bowah!?

Comment

There is certain things I cannot wait electronics wise to have shipped here to Kona. Plus have you seen how expensive it is to fly interisland ....guess not ? I try my hardest to avoid shopping
      at Wal-Mart, but lI cannot wait around for something to be shipped or whatever. My point is even though I sometimes shop at Wal-Mart I can still have a opinion about them.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Here's a Wal-Mart related comic strip. Beware, the rest of this guy's strips are rude, profane, blasphemous, and worst of all, funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
          There is certain things I cannot wait electronics wise to have shipped here to Kona. Plus have you seen how expensive it is to fly interisland ....guess not ? I try my hardest to avoid shopping
          at Wal-Mart, but lI cannot wait around for something to be shipped or whatever. My point is even though I sometimes shop at Wal-Mart I can still have a opinion about them.
          Aaron yes you still can have an opinion, so can Mel! The problem I see is that you fault Mel for his opinion yet you shop at WalMart and subsequently become just as guilty as Mel. Your opinion and stance against WalMart falls a dead second when it comes to convenience. Where's your priorities man!

WalMart provides a wider selection of electronic and computer goods for you to acquire when you want it. What's the problem here? WalMart is providing for your needs and wants yet you still bite the hand that feeds you. You should be thankful WalMart is there to satisfy your instant gratification desires.

Like Albert said...if you don't like WalMart don't shop or work there. I hate KTA because they gave me a bad time once so I don't shop there. I drive across the street to Safeway to buy my groceries.

And you're so impatient you cannot wait a few days for mail order? Geez I bought a remote control for my TV set directly from Panasonic online on a Tuesday morning, and I got it delivered by DHL Wednesday late afternoon. And I live in Kea'au deep in the boonies where there's no Cable, Water and sporadic digital cell service! BOONIES Man yet I still get things in the mail quickly enough.

You should be so lucky to even have most of the big box outlets in Kona. This past Labor day weekend I drove all the way there from Kea'au and picked up a 10 x 20 canopy for my car from Costco because guess what...WalMart didn't have any in stock! Noooo one this side of the Big Island had any in stock. I drive all the way to Lowe's or Home Depot in Kona for house doors because HPM literally has you by the balls on their limited price and selection. I can't wait until December when Home Depot opens up behind...WalMart! DOH

Anyway Aaron it seems you're a computer fanatic, next time you're in Kea'au look me up because I'd gladly pay you to help set up my Netgear wireless LAN that decided not to work anymore after packing up on Oahu and moving to the Big Island.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            because HPM literally has you by the balls

waiddaminute!
            this can't be.

Comment

yep sad but true, talk around here (in Hilo) is that there will be massive celebration when HD opens up. HPM is not consumer friendly, their existance in Hilo seems to be only for building contractors who probably get pricing at the jobber rate. HD is geared more for the homeowner deciding on doing their own home improvement.

There was a time when WalMart first set eyes on Hilo that it was this massive evil coming to this sleepy town. When Hiloans saw how much less the prices were than anything else they were accustomed to in Hilo their eyes suddenly opened up to the reality of pricing.

There was also a time when Mom and Pop corner stores were vital to small communities where walking was the mainstay for getting around town. Now people live not in small communities but in urban cores where surviving sundry stores do little but satisfy those walk in customers who simply need a soft drink and chips or maybe a six-pack and a skin magazine. Sadly it is some of these small corner stores that are the only places where minors can buy cigarettes or alcohol or where those EBT cards can be used for buying unscheduled items instead of foodstock.

The sad truth is in this online poll! If that many people are for Mom and Pop stores their numbers should be enough to sustain them. But those who vote against WalMart are either closet WalMart shoppers or somebody's lying and skewing the poll results.

Either way as our society grows, it requires an infrastructure that can meet it's demands. I'm sorry but the quaint corner store simply cannot handle that load. WalMart is there because the market allows for it. Who's the market? We are, the consumer and anybody who is against WalMart but shops there only fuels it's existance.

Comment

Your opinion and stance against WalMart falls a dead second when it comes to convenience. Where's your priorities man!
                For the record I do 80% of my shopping at my workplace, not at Wal-Mart or
                Costco..the other big box retailer in Kona. At least how I see things I can
                still have opinion about Wal-Mart and still ocassionally shop there.If thats
                a big problem....tough. I call it as I see it.

Man yet I still get things in the mail quickly enough.
                Well unlike you I cannot sit around and wait for most things I need
                electronically. I'll give you an example. My computer died, I needed
                a computer ASAP. The cheapest computer at Costco was around 620.00.
                I bought one at Wal-Mart for 598.00 + tax. I was in no position to
                wait around for a computer to be shipped here.

Anyway Aaron it seems you're a computer fanatic, next time you're in Kea'au look me up because I'd gladly pay you to help set up my Netgear wireless LAN that decided not to work anymore after packing up on Oahu and moving to the Big Island.
                Taking into account my work schedule, I hardly get over that side.
                I might be over there in October though......
                The Kona Blog

Comment

yep sad but true, talk around here (in Hilo) is that there will be massive celebration when HD opens up.

Well as far as I understand there is going to be delay for the HD opening.
                  Evidently the County Council needs to approve HD sewer line hookup.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron, you went to WalMart despite your stance against them to save a lousy $22 as opposed to going to Costco? Even if you argued the fact that Costco may have been closed in your dire moment of needing a computer and WalMart was the only thing open, that still proves my point...that WalMart is more convenient even than Costco because of it's hours of operation, never mind the computer you bought was $22 cheaper to boot!

Your arguement holds validity only if Costco was closed when you desperately needed that computer because for $22 I would have waited until the next day and gone to Costco. Price and hours of operation meant a lot to you enough to cross that line and succumb to the dark side of WalMart and for that, you sold your soul to that devil like the rest of us WalMart junkies.

Enough already, you hate it but shop there, I love it and shop there, bottom line is that we both shop there and we both made WalMart the more richer. That's the sad fact.

Now where's a good pet store in Hilo? Haven't seen a single gold fish for sale yet since I've been up here. When in October will you be in this area?

Comment

I don't have a Costco membership. That is part of the reason why I
                      didn't buy the computer at Costco. The other reason is because
                      I would NEVER by a E-Machine....but that is another story.

Sometime in early October I'll be over in Hilo. It depends if my
                      week vacation comes through.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Oh. I guess not having a membership does make it hard to go there. But Cosco sells more than just E-Machines (which I wouldn't buy either).

Too bad, at least if your WalMart computer goes south, you can go to their customer service counter and get better service than CompUSA.

Comment

OK, so I'm on Maui this past week. Like a lolohead, I put my prepaid cell phone on top of the car and then drove off. Thought I had lost that sucker forever. Went to the local OfficeMax in Kahului, looked for a replacement. All out of stock. Where else can I find a prepaid cell phone? WALMART down the road. Go to WalMart. They were having a sale on Motorolas and Nokias for $49.95. All sold out. But wait! On the bottom shelf were other Motorolas...not on sale...$69.95 + airtime. Bought one.

Turns out some very honest person found the original on the side of the road and tracked me down. I am now the proud owner of 2 prepaid cell phones.

I can fully understand where there are times when people within a community will be forced to shop at a big box retailer like WalMart and not because they really want to. But I think since I live in a fairly large city with lots of retail choices, my first choice would never be WalMart anyway (besides the only WalMarts out here are in the suburbs, so I'd have to drive a long distance to get to one).

I giggled when I saw the headlines about Walmart wanting to build in Kapolei last week. Before you know it, you'll have Walmarts and KMarts sprouting up all over Oahu, much like we have Starbucks stores on just about every corner here in Seattle.

On Maui, the Kahului Walmart is sort of an ad hoc community center; the public bus line has one of its main hubs in front of the store (probably why we had to drive around and around looking for a parking space last week).

I really don't have a problem with WalMart as long as they give back to the community some of the bucks they're making off the backs of their employees.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            Before you know it, you'll have Walmarts and KMarts sprouting up all over Oahu, much like we have Starbucks stores on just about every corner here in Seattle. Miulang
                            we here on the islands are not exempt from this scourge.

this is unfortunately getting to be a universal plague on the land.

Comment

Oh. I guess not having a membership does make it hard to go there. But Cosco sells more than just E-Machines (which I wouldn't buy either).

Too bad, at least if your WalMart computer goes south, you can go to their customer service counter and get better service than CompUSA.

I know Costco sells more than E-Machines.But I did not want to spent more than 700.00 on a computer. Incidentally Wal-Mart only covers the computer for
                              15 days. After that you have deal with the OEM.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

15-days! That's about as long as the trial period for most shareware applications!

Boy you really go for the bargain basement deals. There you go, can't beat WalMart...not the best but boy what a bargain.

So do you still have it or did you do the smart thing by returning it after receiving the mail-order from Dell?

Hey so what about the petstores? No one has come up with a decent one in Hilo yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X