which one to get: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas or 512mb of memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which one to get: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas or 512mb of memory

Since I'm lagging in my school work, I've come to a delima.

I currently have $50, which is the amount I need to buy GTA:SA for PS2 this october, but since I need a RAM upgrade, it'll be half way to the $100 for the Crucial pc2700 512mb stick of RAM I need to make my memory dual channel. I need it to run Photoshop better and to run linux via vmware (multitasking at its best: running two OSes at the same time )

What do you guys think I should go with? I've been anticipating the GTA game for a while now, and it'll be a bummer if I can't play it ASAP, but my school work is lagging, and if I fail, then I'll get kicked out of school.

Here's my computer specs:
    Asus P4S8X-X mobo (able to support up to 3gb of RAM)
    Intel P4 2.8ghz w/ 533mhz FSB
    Crucial PC2700 512mb DDRSDRAM
    ATI AIW 9700 mb video card
    Maxtors 120gb and 60gb Hard drives
    WinXP home
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    0.00%
    512mb DDRsdram memory
    100.00%

The poll is expired.

How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: which one to get: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas or 512mb of memory (for computer)

Originally posted by adri1456
    Since I'm lagging in my school work, I've come to a delima.

I currently have $50, which is the amount I need to buy GTA:SA for PS2 this october, but since I need a RAM upgrade, it'll be half way to the $100 for the Crucial pc2700 512mb stick of RAM I need to make my memory dual channel. I need it to run Photoshop better and to run linux via vmware (multitasking at its best: running two OSes at the same time )

What do you guys think I should go with? I've been anticipating the GTA game for a while now, and it'll be a bummer if I can't play it ASAP, but my school work is lagging, and if I fail, then I'll get kicked out of school.

Here's my computer specs:
    Asus P4S8X-X mobo (able to support up to 3gb of RAM)
    Intel P4 2.8ghz w/ 533mhz FSB
    Crucial PC2700 512mb DDRSDRAM
    ATI AIW 9700 mb video card
    Maxtors 120gb and 60gb Hard drives
    WinXP home
    Get da RAM, stay in school, get one good job and DEN go buy da game! If you had a good permanent job, you could probably buy as many of those games as you wanted.

Doesn't Blockbuster or one of the videostores around your neighborhood rent stuff like that? Besides, after you reach the final levels of the game, you're either going to give it away or just let it gather dust, correct?

A wing ding 'puter is a much better use of your meager funds. What was that saying about loaves and fishes and if you teach people to catch their own fish, it's better than giving them the fish? I know I'm mixing metaphors, but I think you know what I mean

BTW: did you find that "Linux for Dummies" book I told you about?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: which one to get: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas or 512mb of memory (for computer)

Originally posted by Miulang
      Get da RAM, stay in school, get one good job and DEN go buy da game! If you had a good permanent job, you could probably buy as many of those games as you wanted.

Doesn't Blockbuster or one of the videostores around your neighborhood rent stuff like that? Besides, after you reach the final levels of the game, you're either going to give it away or just let it gather dust, correct?

A wing ding 'puter is a much better use of your meager funds. What was that saying about loaves and fishes and if you teach people to catch their own fish, it's better than giving them the fish? I know I'm mixing metaphors, but I think you know what I mean

BTW: did you find that "Linux for Dummies" book I told you about?

Miulang
      Forgot abou this thread.

But I decided to not get the GTA game, and just wait for it until it comes to PC . Now I just have to hit that $100 mark to get the RAM (either locally or from newegg.com).

EDIT: I just reserved it from the library, and hopefully they'll get it by next week.

I just did a full linux 9.0 and win2k dual boot install for school, so I'm just stressed out.
      Last edited by adrian; August 27, 2004, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Forgot abou this thread.

But I decided to not get the GTA game, and just wait for it until it comes to PC . Now I just have to hit that $100 mark to get the RAM (either locally or from newegg.com).

EDIT: I just reserved it from the library, and hopefully they'll get it by next week.

I just did a full linux 9.0 and win2k dual boot install for school, so I'm just stressed out.
        An EXTREMELY prudent move, grasshopper. So wat? Da buggah wen go boot up when you pushed da power button?! If did, den congrats!

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; August 27, 2004, 01:50 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

An EXTREMELY prudent move, grasshopper. So wat? Da buggah wen go boot up when you pushed da power button?! If did, den congrats!

Miulang
          It was in a virtual machine, so I didn't have to touch the computer, just reboot the virtual machine and it gave me the option to boot into either operating system.

Comment

It was in a virtual machine, so I didn't have to touch the computer, just reboot the virtual machine and it gave me the option to boot into either operating system.
            Yeah, I gotta go build one of those virtual machines for a test e-commerce box by the end of the year too. We can't test on the prod box because then everybody who needs to pay us via credit cards might get a little ticked if something went wrong...

Miulang

Comment

Yeah, I gotta go build one of those virtual machines for a test e-commerce box by the end of the year too. We can't test on the prod box because then everybody who needs to pay us via credit cards might get a little ticked if something went wrong...

Miulang
              If you want, then you can download a free 30 day trial from the vmware site.

Comment

Re: which one to get: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas or 512mb of memory

Eh Adrian:
                There's a computer store chain up here (Fry's) that is selling 512MB PC2700 sticks of RAM for about $70. They also have an e-store: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3335532

Is this what you're looking for?

Miulang

Comment

Eh Adrian:
                  There's a computer store chain up here (Fry's) that is selling 512MB PC2700 sticks of RAM for about $70. They also have an e-store: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3335532

Is this what you're looking for?

Miulang
                  I don't see any other specs for it, so I can't say for sure.

But this is what I'm looking to get.

I'll see if there's any local store that has the ones I'm looking for.

Comment

You should have got the RAM.
                    you can d/l games, not RAM.

j3rr3y

Comment

Working...
                    X