Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Legislature to ponder private jet purchase

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
    What the government needs is a old chinese man in the approvals. "$900k for Nuuanu signs? I got a son in law who can do it for $3k"
    "$1.9M for a jet? Heres $150, go get bus passes or use the superferry, you approved it"
    Maybe its because I'm naive about politics, but I dont think the politicians should be able to give themselves raises. They should get minimum wage, then a bonus based on how useful they were after their term ends.
    I concur that politicians should not be able to give themselves raises. Imagine if we could all do that. But I actually think an attractive wage should be set, not minimum. You want to attract qualified people, not just anybody. However, in return for a premium salary, these folks should be held to very strict standards.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      I concur that politicians should not be able to give themselves raises. Imagine if we could all do that. But I actually think an attractive wage should be set, not minimum. You want to attract qualified people, not just anybody. However, in return for a premium salary, these folks should be held to very strict standards.
      not to quibble, but:

--I don't think there's a single elected official who ran because of the attractive salary they currently enjoy on the taxpayer's dime, and

--elected officials should be held to very strict standards regardless of what their salary is.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        not to quibble, but:

--I don't think there's a single elected official who ran because of the attractive salary they currently enjoy on the taxpayer's dime, and

--elected officials should be held to very strict standards regardless of what their salary is.
        Perhaps you might know better than me, what is the current salary range?

True, but you have to admit, at min wage, strict standards are less adhered to.

Comment

I wonder if this isn't going to come back and haunt Hanabusa when she runs for re-election. This is a real stinker of an idea.

Comment

I don't think the idea itself is what is going to get into trouble but rather she can't remember who forward this proposel to her.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              I don't think the idea itself is what is going to get into trouble but rather she can't remember who forward this proposal to her.
              Or that she just tagged her name on it to get it submitted. She's that casual about things that have her name on them? Or is she "owned"? No matter how you cut it, it doesn't look good.

Comment

A good editorial in today's Star-Bulletin at this link.
                Early in the article it mentions maintenance and staffing expenses, which have been mentioned here on HT as well. I hadn't seen any mention of insurance, which surely ain't cheap! Forturnately the editorial did mention it (in passing) farther down.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I don't think the idea itself is what is going to get into trouble but rather she can't remember who forward this proposel to her.
                  I think you're right on that one. You don't introduce anything for consideration without doing the homework on who is asking you to do it.

Something's fishy here. You don't get that high in politics by forgetting who you're talking to.

I say "Yes", that this episode will come back to bite her in the butt when it comes time for re-election.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I know some legislators feel it is their duty to represent their constituents by instroducing whatever legislation is requested to be introduced by their constituents even if they may not personally agree with the content of the legislation. They then trust the legislative process to sort things out and trust that "bad" legislation will be screened out during the hearing process. Some legislators distance themselves from legislation they have introduced but might not agree with by adding "By Request" to it, I guess to make it clear that it wasn't their idea. I'm dunno if that's what happened in this case. Also, some legislators (and given her high profile, I would imagine Hanabusa is one of them) see, discuss and introduce so many bills, they might honestly not remember who requested which bill to be introduced.

I do think the jet purchase is a bad idea and the legislation dies.

Comment

Deleted by Poster.heheheh

Legislator will decide das why.

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

How long is the typical legislation session again? 40 days a year?
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                          How long is the typical legislation session again? 40 days a year?
                          60 actual legislative days barring any extension. Factor in 14 recess days, a handful of holidays and weekends you get around 80 days. The legislature usually adjourns first Thursday in May, this year on the 3rd.

Legislative Calendar

The state doesn't need an airplane.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                            I know some legislators feel it is their duty to represent their constituents by instroducing whatever legislation is requested to be introduced by their constituents even if they may not personally agree with the content of the legislation.
                            So I'm curious as to who wanted to introduce that. Someone with an airplane to sell? The list of people who would benefit seem kinda small. That's why I'm not quite buying into the quote above.

Comment

Found out from another Forum it didn't PASS last night!

The airplane bill was introduced "by request" by Senator Hanabusa for State Rep. John Riki Karamatsu. That was revealed yesterday.

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; February 8, 2007, 05:57 AM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                                Found out from another Forum it didn't PASS last night!

The airplane bill was introduced "by request" by Senator Hanabusa for State Rep. John Riki Karamatsu. That was revealed yesterday.

Auntie Lynn
                                So I google'd his name and discovered his blog. He's a young whippersnapper (32) which may explain why he thought having a State-owned aircraft was a good thing.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X