Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Danger in public schools

Originally posted by Sayuri View Post
    When a staff member is on vacation or sick a substitute is called in. Similar to when a teacher calls in sick.
    I take it that since this is a furlough situation, a substitute replacement would not be called in, since that would defeat the purpose of a furlough, which is to save money. Is that correct?

Comment

Sayuri - will you please not ignore me and just answer my question please? see post #7 from earlier today. just curious.
      Last edited by anapuni808; January 11, 2012, 08:47 PM.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        Sayuri - will you please not ignore me and just answer my question please? see post #7 from earlier today. just curious.
        See post #13!

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          I take it that since this is a furlough situation, a substitute replacement would not be called in, since that would defeat the purpose of a furlough, which is to save money. Is that correct?
          That is true. A solution would be for the workers to take the time off during spring break and summer but UPW is insisting it needs to be taken two days a month. There are some month with no non instructional days so those are the days that the crews will be running shorthanded while there are students on campus.

Comment

Maybe the rank and file need to somehow get new leadership. It seems that the work/directed leave schedule is not what they the members thought it would be. I feel the union leadership is totally responsible for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sayuri View Post
              That is true. A solution would be for the workers to take the time off during spring break and summer but UPW is insisting it needs to be taken two days a month. There are some month with no non instructional days so those are the days that the crews will be running shorthanded while there are students on campus.
              One of the problems I can see with having the furlough days too close together is, the paycheck gets increasingly smaller. For example if you lose two or three days in a pay period, it may be too much of a cut for that pay period for the worker to absorb.

This is a little off topic, but whenever the state (or the feds for that matter) try to fix a budget shortfall by cutting jobs or furloughs, it is not a 100% recovery to the budget, for they will lose the tax revenue that the affected worker would have paid.
              Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                See post #13!
                sorry, that post didn't show earlier. Thanks! and thanks Sayuri for answering me - was just curious.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Even private schools in Hawaii are i9n danger.
                  My son was bullied mercilessly at St. Marks School in Kaneohe - and threatened to not tell us about it. The mothers of the two major bullies were the playground monitors, to boot!
                  My son has recovered nicely, but we never got any satisaction from the school. It was all denied, his word vs. theirs.
                  Naturally, we pulled him out, ASAP!
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                    Even private schools in Hawaii are i9n danger. My son was bullied mercilessly...
                    Kaonohi, the big question is was the cafeteria fully staffed so that the bullies were well fed?
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Moto View Post
                      One of the problems I can see with having the furlough days too close together is, the paycheck gets increasingly smaller. For example if you lose two or three days in a pay period, it may be too much of a cut for that pay period for the worker to absorb.
                      OTOH, the months when there would be no furlough days would make up for this. At the end, no matter how the furlough days are spaced out, it's the same number of days and $$$$ we are talking about. I mean, I'm assuming the UPW members are adults and know how to budget for themselves, riiight?

Or the UPW leadership could just stick to their guns and say, to heck with the welfare of the kids.

Combine this with the boneheads over at IBEW who orchestrated the ill-timed HECO strike,.... and labor union members wonder why so many people are beginning to hate their guts.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X