The Debates: Town Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Debates: Town Hall

John F. Kerry and George W. Bush square off today in St. Louis their second of three debates, this one in a more open, unscripted "town hall" format. Anyone watching or listening? Any thoughts?

Bush comes into this one the underdog after the first debate, but buoyed somewhat by the performance of his running mate against John Edwards earlier this week. Most eyes will be on him, as it was well known his campaign resisted the "questions from the public" arrangement. While Bush is often strong on "connecting emotionally" with constituents, he also is known to run off the rails when confronted with a question he didn't expect. And it's been months since Bush has appeared at any event where the audience hasn't been pre-screened to make sure he's only addressing supporters.

Believe it or not, as I type this, the debate is ending, so I'll have to listen to it later. But the fresher your perspectives, the more I'd like to hear them, before we're all made dizzy with the spin, punditry, and blogmentary.
    George W. Bush
    12.50%
    John F. Kerry
    62.50%
    Draw
    25.00%

Re: The Debates: Town Hall

I have to admit that I did watch about 2/3 of it. My most succinct review of this episode of name calling and patent lies is, "Thank god we live in a civilized society!" I can imagine in some less civilized or perhaps earlier period of time, we would have seen a good round of fistacuffs or maybe even a duel; that's how testy both sides were getting over the environmental and health and Medicare issues.

And what the hecuba was on Chucky's mind when he let that idiotic woman ask Kerry about what he planned to do about malpractice insurance since his running mate was known to dabble in malpractice cases in the past (smokescreen, methinks).

For pure entertainment, I would rate this one almost a draw, which I guess is better for Kerry than Bush, since the Prez was having to make up a huge deficit from the first go around.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; October 8, 2004, 04:55 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Bush was a lot closer to his game tonight than he's been in a while. He started off visibly agitated, but seemed to hit his stride. He stepped on a few punch lines, but he gets points for making a go of humor. He stumbled quite a bit ("There's rumors out there on the... the... Internets..."), but did his "connecting" thing, too.

Kerry, meanwhile, can't seem to help turning any appearance, even an open one, into a college lecture. He delivered points with scientific precision, but there wasn't much art to it. He did seem more prepared for the questions written for him (Catholicism and abortion) than Bush was (name three mistakes).

I say: An even draw, no big scores, overall probably better for Bush considering his standing going in.

Comment

I listened on the radio for the first half-hour or so, until the Yankees blew the baseball game open, then I switched. So I didn't see the part where Bush was apparently really animated (if you believe some of the blogs, near-postal). The timber company thing Kerry cited is true, according to the inimitable http://www.factcheck.org. I looked at Bush's 2003 tax returns, but in '02 and '03 he declared it differently, so I didn't see it. It's on the 2001 and 2004 returns, apparently.

I liked Kerry's "I'll be President of all the people" line, when he was asked about abortion (which seemed like a planted question; in fact, seemed to me there were a few planted questions for both sides). That would be a welcome change from Bush's unstated "I'm President for the investors, shareholders, and big businesses of America" attitude.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

First of all, as folks on NPR talk-shows too often say, this was more entertaining than the first one.

Since he was so awful on the first one, it's not much of a compliment to say Bush did better in this one.

But I think Kerry was, again, a clear winner.

Sadly, I still don't think either man deserves to be President of the United States of America.

Comment

Did anybody notice an odd "bulge" in the back of The Prez's back during the debates? Bloggers (obviously anti-Bush) are speculating that Mr. Bush was taking his cues from someone (probably Karl Rove) behind the curtains, hence the odd lapses and pauses, especially during the first debate...
            Hmmm...the President as the Wizard Oz? Oh well, I think stranger things have happened...

Here, for your amusement is a summary of the theory, with corroborating "evidence": http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/100904L.shtml

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Bloggers (obviously anti-Bush) are speculating that Mr. Bush was taking his cues from someone (probably Karl Rove) behind the curtains, hence the odd lapses and pauses, especially during the first debate...
              Bloggers and conspiracy theorists. Has there ever been a more perfect match? 'Cause of course, Bush supporters gunning for Kerry are also convinced the challenger cheated in that first debate.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                Bloggers and conspiracy theorists. Has there ever been a more perfect match? 'Cause of course, Bush supporters gunning for Kerry are also convinced the challenger cheated in that first debate.
                Bahahaha! That's a good one! I'm surprised no one made a big deal that both the Ketchup Queen and Ms Prim and Proper ended up wearing the same color frocks for the first debate too, probably because the arbiter of high fashion sense, Martha-the-convicted-felon-Stewart was off in the Caribbean playing with her friends on her final fling before her date at Camp Cupcake.

The social secretaries of both women probably had to have a confab prior to the second debate to negotiate frock colors and makeup details (no, they weren't wearing the same color for the second debate).

Miulang

BTW: I think Laura looks best in blue, and Teresa looks best in red.
                Last edited by Miulang; October 10, 2004, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X