Considering getting TiVo HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering getting TiVo HD

Hi. I have the old TiVo and am considering getting the TiVo HD. Is anyone here using it in Honolulu? How do you like it?

I hear it requires Oceanic cards to tune channels, and wonder how well they work, what they cost, upside/downside, etc.

I appreciate your feedback.

Bob Sigall

Re: Considering getting TiVo HD

I have a Tivo HD setup with Oceanic. You'll need a cablecard (multistream or "m-card") in lieu of your cable box. You lose the capability for pay-per-view events with cablecard, but the cablecard costs only $2.50 a month compared to the DVR rental. Some of the Oceanic bundled packages don't allow for cablecard and make it ineligible for certain discounts. Oceanic will provide, free of charge, a tuning adapter that will enable you to view many of their hd channels. Without the tuning adapter, you'll probably have access to only about 1/2 the available hd programs. The tuning adapter is a pain for me. About 3-4 times a year, I'll lose channels and have to unplug and reboot the tuning adapter. When the situation gets real bad, I'll have to call Oceanic to reauthorize the box. Telephone tech support is getting better with Tivo and tuning adapter experience, but actual repair guys are pretty clueless on setting up the tuning adapter and Tivo. I probably knew more about it than the last two techs that came in.

Comment

Working...
    X