X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Meaning of the Word 'Haole'?

Originally posted by Stephen
    Waiole Kai,

These American's who you speak of as taking the word Ha'ole to heart oftentimes do so because the word is used in a hateful manner.

Finally, somebody gets it!!!

As a father of a developmentally disabled child, I constantly get chided for objecting to the word 'retard' as if I am inconveniencing people by asking them to be 'politically correct.' Yet I know how much that word hurts.

Could we all try to place more importance on how others percieve what we say, instead of defending what we really mean? That is called 'consideration.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
      Finally, somebody gets it!!!

As a father of a developmentally disabled child, I constantly get chided for objecting to the word 'retard' as if I am inconveniencing people by asking them to be 'politically correct.' Yet I know how much that word hurts.

Could we all try to place more importance on how others percieve what we say, instead of defending what we really mean? That is called 'consideration.'
      Mahalo Nui, thats the most..hmm whats the word...the moost...aah lemme explain it....Thats the best thing and smartest thing....INTELLIGENT..huh, thats the word huh, I knew it would come to me..Yea, I think what everyones problem is how the word is being used. "Haole" shoot my otha family call me haole cuz my little German that I do have...SHOWS, but I'm 75% Hawaiian ~ mento, yea?
      sigpic

Comment

Mahalo Mahi Waina,

I appreciate your understanding of my post - I know that oftentimes I post and my ignorance shows (it's very little ignorance despite what some of the HT members choose to believe) - however you caught the spirit of my argument. Words are hurtful - we have so many words in our languages that the use of hurtful (even if it's only perception) words is/should be obsolete, but we still fail to move on. Here's to hoping we move forward!
        Aloha
        Ragin Cajun

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
          Finally, somebody gets it!!! ... could we all try to place more importance on how others percieve what we say, instead of defending what we really mean? That is called 'consideration.'
          I think 90 percent of the people on this form “got it.” IMHO, what you call “consideration,” I call the “perpetuation of ignorance.” It is you Mahi Waina who doesn’t understand the debate. It is not a defense of the word “haole” as people use it every day. It is the defense of the word “haole” from the abuse it has received from ignorance.

“Haole” did not have negative connotations attached to it when it was first conceived. If we can stamp out ignorance, it can return to ‘Ōlelo for use by future generations of kanaka maoli without being judged by people like you.
          Last edited by TuNnL; September 25, 2006, 03:33 AM.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Thank you, TuNnL, for pursuing my query further regarding Portuguese/Haole differences. I understand why you thought MadAzza was dismissing my point, but I didn't take it that way. I felt she was just adding a concise personal comment that needed no further embellishment. But again, I appreciate what you were trying to accomplish in an effort to provide further information in response to my question.

And thank you, Maddie, for your concise personal comment. I did not feel dismissed by it, and I believe I understood exactly what you were saying.

No need to fight about this any further, I hope; motivations were good, even if they did end up at cross-purposes on this occasion.
            Originally posted by TuNnL
            If we can stamp out ignorance
            "To dream the impossible dream..." Don't give up on THAT battle, TuNnL.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
              Thank you, TuNnL, for pursuing my query further regarding Portuguese/Haole differences. I understand why you thought MadAzza was dismissing my point, but I didn't take it that way. I felt she was just adding a concise personal comment that needed no further embellishment. But again, I appreciate what you were trying to accomplish in an effort to provide further information in response to my question.

And thank you, Maddie, for your concise personal comment. I did not feel dismissed by it, and I believe I understood exactly what you were saying.

No need to fight about this any further, I hope; motivations were good, even if they did end up at cross-purposes on this occasion.
              "To dream the impossible dream..." Don't give up on THAT battle, TuNnL.
              Aloha mai kakou,

I just wanted to make a comment on this topic. I believe that the word "haole" is not about a person's hair color, skin color, etc. It's the way they act. Anyone got anything to say?

Mahalo nui loa palena 'ole.... pono kela? I don't mind being corrected 'cause it helps me. So feel free to PM me... lol
              'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth
                I believe that the word "haole" is not about a person's hair color, skin color, etc. It's the way they act. Anyone got anything to say?
                I totally agree. My theory is that many caucasians acted this way at the time the Hawaiian language was banned by Christian missionaries. So many people forgot how to speak Hawaiian, the dominant language at the time, that the new meaning of “haole” was simply the maka‘ainana reaching back and jogging their memories, when it became safe to speak Hawaiian again.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

http://bad.eserver.org/issues/2006/76/haole.html
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Wow. Great thread. Lots of good input.

From what I learned, Hawaiian (or various Polynesian dialects) are not "agglutinating" languages. That is, one can't break down a word into fragments to get the meaning. (Try 'aikane!) Of course, every rule has exceptions, but likely it doesn't refer to using a handshake rather than honi.

Haole is not a color.
                    Haole is not a race.

The word haole was created long ago, when Hawaiians first met people who looked, and more importantly, acted differently. "Foreign" is as good a translation as any.

We can only speculate what they thought, and why that word was used.
                    At that time the first 'strangers' were Europeans, which is why the name stuck to Europeans and their descendants.

One person brought up that haole is also used for things other than people (e.g., haole koa) as well. Things that are different, foreign, introduced.

The way I was taught, regarding people, was that more than anything else, haole represents an attitude, a non-Hawaiian attitude. An attitude without aloha.

Someone who uses the word haole to denigrate others is 'acting haole,' because that doesn't show aloha.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      At least when I post drunk, there's always a nugget of what the hell was I thinking? And sometimes a nugget of genius.

But I digress and shall restate that the word haole does not bother me - either when used as a term of affection (my haole buddy) or term of disdain (insert profanity haole.) My belief and original intent was to state that I believe that the term is more often used in a negative light. You may choose to disagree and that's fine - but ask yourself and maybe a few friends this question:

When typically used, does the word haole carry a more negative or more nuetral connotation?
                      I must admit Stephen; I have used that term over more than a thousand times. Usually in a deragatory manner........out of anger.....I would catch myself using it out of terms

terms of endearment
                      terms of anger

but never terms of dislike......i dislike to assume but for most i am sure it is how you say it in a manner that you speak

i am guilty of that over and over again....for that my apology.....yet it should never be used regardless of under any circumstances

mahalo and malama pono
                      stay forever young

Comment

Is the word still derogatory when used during an act of bedroom dancing with the stars?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          Is the word still derogatory when used during an act of bedroom dancing with the stars?
                          like oh..yeah..baby..place that big juicy hahem.....ahem........period!!!...you good looking....ahem....kinda dancing with the stars?

*adjusts halo*
                          stay forever young

Comment

Dick, now you know how all minorities feel in the rest of the U.S....

Suzanne

Suzanne Lanoue
                            http://suzann.com

Comment

NOW he knows?
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

In all my visits to the islands I have never been called a haole. In fact people usually assume I am a resident and often ask directions and other questions as if I should know. Most of the time I am able to answer questions as I study and pay attention to life around me everywhere I go. I'd like to think it is because that way I carry myself and the fact that I embrace the aloha spirit in everything I do when visiting. I quite enjoyed most of this discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X