Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USPS going down

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Even tho we grumble, there is nobody that can fullfill it's immense duties yet, by far. These screams heard for abolishing/privatizing it are insane, used often by those who wish to further marginalize citizens and the country for partisan political gains.
    Yeah, because UPS, FedEX, have had a shitty track record, and don't know what they are doing.

The USPS has been at a financial loss for years. If the country wants to save money, and start to get back on track, the USPS may be just the tippity tip of the iceberg, but they are still a govt agency that needs some serious overhaul.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

As much as I lament USPS service, I would hate to see it go.

In 2010, I had three mis-deliveries by USPS, all of them delivered to my various neighbors. One of my packages was finally delivered (after being sent to the wrong address twice) six months later. One of those three deliveries was my Kindle, which was returned to me by my neighbor. I'm glad that my neighbors are honest. Since then, all of my Amazon orders are sent to my work place.

Still, if USPS would go down, what a mess that would be, as well as expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
        Yeah, because UPS, FedEX, have had a shitty track record, and don't know what they are doing.
        Yes, they need a lot of work, but will any private agency get mail to the most rural areas, or service in all weather, or handle the volume beyond what they already have, just to mention a few important points? You gotta retort better than that, Tats.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
          The USPS has been at a financial loss for years. If the country wants to save money, and start to get back on track, the USPS may be just the tippity tip of the iceberg, but they are still a govt agency that needs some serious overhaul.
          Not that I don’t agree that the United States Postal Service needs to downsize, but whether or not that will save our country any money is questionable. In case you were unaware, Tatt, USPS has been a self-sufficient agency since the 1980s, so even if you completely shut it down tomorrow, I don’t know that a single tax dollar would be saved. Not to mention, the USPS is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the U.S. Constitution. Even Ron Paul would disapprove.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            You got me wondering, so I called FedEx. Everyone who has an account gets "some kind of a discount". That include people like me who just have a personal account, as well as those with a business account. I suppose those who ship a large volume get a much larger discount of course.

I think to set up an account I did it online, and they needed a charge card to tie into the account. And, it took a couple of days to process.
            Thanks for the update, learn something new everyday. I guess by having your CC and giving you a discount, they can lock you in as a loyal customer.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Not that I don’t agree that the United States Postal Service needs to downsize, but whether or not that will save our country any money is questionable. In case you were unaware, Tatt, USPS has been a self-sufficient agency since the 1980s, so even if you completely shut it down tomorrow, I don’t know that a single tax dollar would be saved. Not to mention, the USPS is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the U.S. Constitution. Even Ron Paul would disapprove.
            Also agree that the USPS needs revamping but I do think the USPS takes more flack than they deserve. If the USPS didn't have the obligation of having to serve many unprofitable rural routes and have more independent flexibilty with delivery commitments such as their current proposal to go from 6 day mail delivery to 5 day, they would be profitable. Of course, they do have a problem with their pension obligation and that's what is killing them. If the USPS could declare bankruptcy, maybe they can renegotiate and restructure pensions? I know that's a touchy subject but the old school pensions are not sustainable.

For the most part, the USPS is self funded as it receives no taxpayer dollars. However, the current caveat is that due to pension obligations and the continuing drop in mail volume, the USPS has been running a deficit the last few years and has drawn upon a line of credit from the feds to cover the deficit so there is some truth to them using taxpayer dollars recently. But I still don't count that against them because of their hands being tied in being required to serve unprofitable routes. If UPS and FedEx had to work with the same parameters, I am inclined to believe you will see their rates go much higher and/or their service level drops.

I've tried to see if I could mail a simple letter via FedEx from LA to Honolulu and it didn't seem to give me the choice of Express Saver. 2 Day service quotes me ~$42 for a 0.12lb letter. ~$39 if mailed to a non-residential address. A regular 1st class USPS letter is $0.44, soon to be $0.45, regardless of business or residential address.

Comment

The role of the post office may shrink from public view.
              The postal service , along with the navy had some of the earliest intelligence operations within the the nation.
              No way they are going away.

See venona

Comment

Even for the U.S. Congress, the USPS apparently wasn’t a top priority. Well, I guess with their laissez-faire attitude, we can’t blame Mr. Donohue for taking the only action he could under the circumstances. Better a slower postal system then a bankrupt non-existent one.

Postal Service moves ahead with closing mail-sorting hubs, though closures will move slowly
                By Lisa Rein, Published: May 18

The U.S. Postal Service, facing mounting losses, said Thursday that it is moving ahead with plans to close hundreds of mail-sorting hubs and cannot wait for Congress to pass legislation to help it out of its financial hole.

But the closing of 232 processing centers will be phased in over three years instead of at the faster pace postal officials had announced in the fall. About 13,000 jobs will be lost from the closures, mostly through attrition, officials said.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/post...ruin-1C8146115

46 cents for a stamp isn't enough.

Comment

Personally, I can now do without USPS. I used to need it for First Class mail but now I don't even send that through USPS. Parcels can be shipped by other means. Bills, thank you cards, invitations, post cards....all done online. And that is why USPS is suffering. It has nothing to do with UPS or FedEx. USPS is suffering because people are paying their bills online.

Congress should really step on it and squash the Saturday delivery. That is a total luxury we can do without. Also, if I happen to need to use USPS to send something, I wouldn't mind the First Class rate being $1. It's ridiculous that they increase it a penny or two each time. Just make a big darn increase and be done.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=189995211

How about the people who want to go to the post office on Saturday rather than the weekday?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post

How about the people who want to go to the post office on Saturday rather than the weekday?
                        Just use the self service machine. It's faster than standing in line in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post

"Under the new plan, mail would be delivered to homes and businesses only from Monday through Friday but would still be delivered to post office boxes on Saturdays. Post offices now open on Saturdays would remain open."

Comment

To me, USPS needs more drastic changes than these. All they are going to do is end the delivery of first class and bulk items. If POs will remain open and Priority Mail still delivered on Saturdays, will they really save that much money?

I'd rather see them stop all Sat delivery, stay closed on Sat, and outsource weekend deliveries to FedEx and UPS.

Comment

Neither rain, nor snow nor dark of night will stop these carriers from their appointed rounds, however, incompetent legislators can, and will.
                              �� ��
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                                To me, USPS needs more drastic changes than these. All they are going to do is end the delivery of first class and bulk items. If POs will remain open and Priority Mail still delivered on Saturdays, will they really save that much money?

I'd rather see them stop all Sat delivery, stay closed on Sat, and outsource weekend deliveries to FedEx and UPS.
                                Don't think it's the USPS that doesn't want to make drastic changes, it's Congress that's tying their hands behind their backs.

Comment

Working...
                                X