RIP: Andy Griffith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIP: Andy Griffith

"A Face in the Crowd," by many accounts was loosely based on Arthur Godfrey, who was a huge radio and TV performer in the 1940s and 1950s. His early television shows were ratings blockbusters and his folksy, "aw shucks" delivery resonated with millions of viewers. He reportedly had a dark side, though, which came through one night on a live national broadcast on CBS when he fired Julius LaRosa on the air...reportedly because Julie's popularity had grown and his fan mail was outpacing Arthur's. The episode greatly diminished Arthur Godfrey's "just plain folks" image.

The author of "A Face in the Crowd" always maintained that the story was based somewhat on the private and public life of Will Rogers, but there are many scenes in the movie that were clearly inspired by Arthur Godfrey.

"A Face in the Crowd" is a superb movie and shows Andy Griffith's phenomenal acting depth. I don't believe it was a box office blockbuster at the time and I think it opened to mixed reviews, but over the years, its critical acceptance and public appreciation have grown to the point where it is now considered a classic.

Comment

Very Interesting! And to come sort of full loop, we know Arthur Godfrey had connection with Hawai'i and did a lot to popularize Hawaiian music with his listeners and viewers. Did Godfrey ever actually live in Hawai'i? Who was Haleloke?

Comment

Haleloke was from Hilo. I think she was appearing on Hawaii Calls when Arthur Godfrey hired her. Like Julius LaRosa, Haleloke was dismissed for no reason. She was replaced by Japanese singer Miyoshi Umeki (who, almost 15 years later, would appear as Mrs. Livingston, the housekeeper on "The Courtship of Eddie's Father").

Haleloke died in 2004.

Comment

Thank you. I googled her, she lived out her life in Union City with a best friend. There are several Union Cities. Whichever one it was, it would have been a big change from Hilo!

Comment

I believe the Union City in which she lived was in Indiana.

Comment

Umeki lived in Hawaii until 2003 and moved to Missouri to be with her son and his family. When she left show business for good, she stayed out of the public eye. Around the time I attempted to contact her for a story I heard she had cancer, which she eventually died of in 2007.

As for Godfrey I think he spent long vacations in Hawaii for many years, I know he loved Molokai and was a good friend of Duke. In fact, he delivered Duke's eulogy in 1968, which I have on reel to reel.

Back on topic, of course Andy Griffith has been to Hawaii before, he appeared in Hawaii 5-0 in 1972 and the From Here to Eternity mini-series in 1979.

Comment

Another cool contribution is the tv show "Salvage 1".
                The show revolves around an entrepreneur who collects and recycles space junk.
                His own space vehicle is built from stuff from junkyards.

Comment

We visited Moloka'i once. The guy who did the voice intro of Mission Impossible ran the gift shop at the hotel where we stayed. The local joke was that the biggest news in Kaunakakai was when a cat chased a crab down the main street. It is a beautiful, peaceful island, I see why Godfrey or anyone in search of peaceful beauty would love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                    We visited Moloka'i once. The guy who did the voice intro of Mission Impossible ran the gift shop at the hotel where we stayed.
                    Robert Cleveland Johnson (May 4, 1920–December 31, 1993), born in Portland, Oregon and died on Moloka`i, Hawaii.

"Good morning/afternoon/evening, Mr. Briggs/Phelps.--- Your mission Dan/Jim, should you decide to accept it --- As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. --- This tape will self-destruct in five [or, occasionally, ten] seconds. Good luck, Dan/Jim."

Comment

thank you! He was very happy with his life on Moloka'i, considered it paradise. We should all be so lucky.

Comment

Working...
                      X