Arizona congresswoman shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arizona congresswoman shot

An average of 82 Americans die each day from guns. About 45 are suicides.

These don't make the news like Tucson.

Comment

Comment

The true rancor from the right continues no matter what. They are about scoring partisan points any way they can get them, at every opportunity and at any cost.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Seems to me I hear plenty of rancor and bickering from BOTH sides. We've reached a sad state when such an event as this can't get us all to shut up, look our political/philosophical opponents in the eye, figure out what we agree upon, and go forward from there to try and prevent future tragedies like it.

Comment

I don't think it's anywhere near comparable, not by light years.
            The little you hear from the left is far far from the non-stop mantra of the con's most vile rancor and flat out unAmerican unwillingness to work with Obama in any way, but instead to hobble him into ineffectiveness and defeat at any and all costs, no matter what.
            The entire reason we are at the sorry spot we are in American politics and everything else is because the Dems for decades now have not done what's needed against the cons, instead they coddle them in hopes of cajolling them into bi-partisan working relationships, when it's blatantly obvious that the cons use that 'big fat sucker' delusion against them at every turn and have stated plainly they have Obama in the crosshairs in the worst ways, yet the useless DC Dems keep the idiotic dream alive. If Obama would have took office and dealt nothing but death blows upon his enemies in his first year we as a country would be much better off.

Yet, with all the odds and filthy hatred of the cons against him he's still managed to pull off the most stunning reversal of economic perils EVER, and IN WORLD RECORD TIME. No Bush super depression which would have killed us, no exaggeration there, not even the assurred dbl. dip recession, we've now got a happy banking system, a now happy Detroit, the economic vital signs for a year + now have been and still are steadily improving, and now the last fingerhold the screaming vitrol cons had to point at, jobs, are slowly coming back. Nearly every day is a new positive for these issues yet the cons are hell-bent to pull us back down, and are on the verge of non-stop bogus investigations against this admin. just like they did against Clinton and killed his chance of doing more for us, screw them into infinity.

Comment

"Feel the hatred growing inside you, Luke."
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I love ya, Ron - but I'm focusing just on the shooting in Arizona, and not the whole ugly political drama. The dead don't care what the shooter's politics might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  but I'm focusing just on the shooting in Arizona, and not the whole ugly political drama. .
                  True, but the 2nd amendment, gun debate, is an important part of the discussion, and that is political - always was, always is, and always will be.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

It has come to light that there were several citizens present at this tragedy that had concealed carry permits and were in possesion of firearms. when some research was done about why none came forward with weapons drawn it was surmised that when you have a concealed carry or open carry for that matter. you may only use your weapon to protect yourself and your family from grave danger. part of the training you recieve when aquiring a permit reinforces these laws.
                    With that knowledge and if true i would say that properly trained permit holders acted responsibly in this case. imagine the chaos if a dozen or so citizens pulled out weapons during this tragedy.
                    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

• Re: Arizona congresswoman shot

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                      It has come to light that there were several citizens present at this tragedy that had concealed carry permits and were in possesion of firearms, imagine the chaos if a dozen or so citizens pulled out weapons during this tragedy.
                      Imagine the shape of the killer's body with all them bullet holes in it, and maybe everybody else alive.
                      I think a prelim would find no problem in judging their actions responsible once the Congresswoman was shot, if not merely aimed at.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                        It has come to light that there were several citizens present at this tragedy that had concealed carry permits and were in possesion of firearms. when some research was done about why none came forward with weapons drawn it was surmised that when you have a concealed carry or open carry for that matter. you may only use your weapon to protect yourself and your family from grave danger. part of the training you recieve when aquiring a permit reinforces these laws.
                        PFFFFFTTTTT!!!!!

That's the sound of Ron and Tim's arguments going flat.

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        If everybody in that crowd had been packing, how far would the gunman gotten towards the success of his goal?
                        Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        Ron, we may differ here and there, but I am also ALL FOR wide open carry laws. If EVERYBODY has a gun, the sane armed citizenry will outnumber the wacko armed lunatics by a jillion to 1.
                        Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 14, 2011, 12:54 PM.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          You and BJD need to get on the same page. BJD says as many as 33 rounds, you say a maximum of 10. The reprots I read said the shooter had a magazine with 33 rounds in it, used all those rounds, and was attempting to put in another clip when he was subdued. 33 rounds is hardly a self defense weapon!

Care to clarify about being unaware of the facts. I know I am unaware, so enlighten me.
                          Gladly. Enlightenment is a GOOD thing!

Hawaii, and several other states, follow what I assume is a federal mandate to limit handgun magazines to 10 rounds. I think that is reasonable, assuming that shooters have followed my call for 'firearms training' before issuance of ownership permits. Hit your target.

I guess some states think that those rules are overly restrictive, or, it may be that such extended magazines are used illegally. The heroine who stopped the kook from inserting another magazine (of whatever capacity) deserves a medal - or something. Few have the 'fortitude' to accomplish such heroism. The CMH is not too much in this situation!

Clear?
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

• Re: How An Armed Hero Nearly Shot The Wrong Person

Tales like these are legion, and considered "good press" by the media.

Tales where people successfully protect their homes and families from intruders/murderers/rapists/thieves, et. al. are also legion. Perhaps even more than 'mistaken identity' cases. But they are NOT reported by the public media because it's no 'shock news.'

Pro-gun magazines (no pun intended ) often report dozens of such defensive incidents per month, and those reported are dwarfed by those unreported. I never submitted my story of repelling a home invader by using an unfired firearm. Oh well.

Training is an important component. I believe firearm owners should be subject to intensive training before issuance, and to psych profiles as well. Much the same as is required for airline pilots.

Guns are not screwdrivers or hammers, to be distributed at random, however they are important tools for citizens to maintain order, and should be distributed with this in mind.
                            ~ ~

Comment

• Re:POPADITCH INCITES MOB, CURSES AT FILNER AND REPORTEDLY PUSHES OPPONENT AT ELECTION

And so the disorder and anarchy begin....

Arm yourselves; you may need it to survive.
                              ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                                It appears the knee-jerk to any significant event is scramble to create new laws.
                                Someone was shot?! Create more Gun Control!
                                Someone said something hurtful?! Limit free speech!
                                Disagree with media personalities?! Boot them off the air and fine them!

My opinions towards guns and protestors may appear to favor #2 while limiting #1, but I'm not going to go out and try to abolish the 1st amendment just because I don't agree with how broad it is. You can't accuse someone of "picking and choosing" if you're all about defending #1 and trying to limit #2. Just because the "1st Amendment" was the first one on the list doesn't make any of the others less significant. But in order to give some people rights and freedoms, you WILL take rights and freedoms away from someone else. There's no way around it. The difference is I accept the fact that every once in a while, my Rights will be trampled on by someone else who wants to exercise their rights; that does NOT mean you should take someone else's away. Hell, even funeral protests vs funeral gatherings is a 1st vs 1st conflict, and someone is going to lose.

If it makes you feel safer at night to place more laws upon yourself and limit what you want to do, you have that FREEDOM to RESTRICT YOURSELF if that's what makes you happy. If you want to give yourself a curfew, don't expect me to go to bed at 10pm. If you don't want to own a gun, don't tell me I can't own one. If you don't feel like ranting or listening to other people speak, then don't listen; but stop telling others to be quiet. This country craps out hundreds of laws every year, and all it does is to make each and every one of us, who are already law-abiding, a criminal in some way.

So if I'm still OBLIVIOUS to what's going on around me, I guess living on an island does that to people.
                                You are not alone.

Peo0ple who do as they want to do (within legal & constitutional limits) have my support.
                                Those who wish to limit my constitutional and legal freedoms have my contempt.
                                It reminds me of "Big Brother," and "Farenheit 451" for starters.

I don't want to be a robot.
                                ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                                X