All Madden Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Madden Team

Was John Madden the best at being a color analyst for a sports broadcast? How does Robert Kekaula, Artie Wilson, Chris McLachlin, and Pal Eldridge rate as local sports game analysts?

Re: All Madden Team

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Was John Madden the best at being a color analyst for a sports broadcast? How does Robert Kekaula, Artie Wilson, Chris McLachlin, and Pal Eldridge rate as local sports game analysts?
    Don't forget, Chuck and Jim Leahy...also Don Robbs.
    Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

around 1995 or 96, I started to mute the TV if Madden (among others) were doing color. He started to get irritating.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Altivec View Post
        Don't forget, Chuck and Jim Leahy...also Don Robbs.
        Uhhh, Jim Leahey and Don Robbs are play-by-play announcers, not analysts.

Madden combined knowledge with flair, although there were occasions when he said things that just didn't make sense.

As broadcast analysts go, Madden is up there in football, right alongside my other personal favorites like Merlin Olsen, Bud Wilkinson, and Al DeRogatis.

With the exception of Chris McLachlin, none of the KFVE analysts hold a candle to the cream of the national network analysts in their respective sports. I mean, comparing Artie to Billy Packer? Pal to Tim McCarver? You gotta be kiddin'! If the current crop of KFVE and Oceanic analysts looked for jobs on the mainland, they would be ESPN 2/regional cable network material, at best.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Tim McCarver was once excellent at what he did, but like a lot of the good ones (Madden included, and I'm a Raiders fan so Madden is a god), he became a bad parody of himself. It doesn't help that when McCarver's on national games, it's usually with a play-by-play guy (Joe Buck) and another color guy. There just isn't enough room in a booth for McCarver and another color guy.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Tim McCarver was once excellent at what he did, but like a lot of the good ones (Madden included, and I'm a Raiders fan so Madden is a god), he became a bad parody of himself. It doesn't help that when McCarver's on national games, it's usually with a play-by-play guy (Joe Buck) and another color guy. There just isn't enough room in a booth for McCarver and another color guy.
            I know what you mean. As I said in my previous post, Madden was not perfect. Neither was McCarver. When analysts have a long career in the broadcast booth, they either become jaded and full of themselves,.... or they start to lose touch with a sport that is ever-changing and are no longer able to offer the same kind of insight that they did in earlier years.

Still, a flawed Madden and McCarver are light years ahead of the likes of Kekaula and Eldredge, respectively, IMHO.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Madden combined knowledge with flair, although there were occasions when he said things that just didn't make sense.
              Would viewers know the difference if they use Frank Caliendo as a replacement?

Comment

My current favorite color commentator is Marques Johnson. Especially when he teamed with Kevin Calabro for Seattle Sonics games in the 90's.

None of the local Hawaii color commentators does much for me. Kekaula is one of the worst I have ever heard.

Comment

Robert Kekaula has got to be one of the worst color analysts out there . He has absolutely no objectivity. I can understand being for your home team, but he and Bobby Curran are the worst, every call that goes against UH is wrong in their opinions.
                  GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bf334 View Post
                    Robert Kekaula has got to be one of the worst color analysts out there . He has absolutely no objectivity. I can understand being for your home team, but he and Bobby Curran are the worst, every call that goes against UH is wrong in their opinions.
                    Objectivity is usually lost amongst color analysts in local/regional/school sports coverage.

Fox Sports Networks' color analysts in ever area are biased as well. Stu Lantz and Joel Meyers cover Laker games for FSN and KCAL, and they are usually biased towards the Lakeshow (altho I don't mind that ).

Analysts for channels that cover sports for other colleges are biased as well.

No surprise.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by bf334 View Post
                      There's a charm to the homer local sportscasters. ESPN plays the NY Yankees' John Sterling's long out "Yankees Win" call, and Chicago Cubs' Ron Santo yelling his head off on a walkoff Cubs' win. A homer's excitement adds to the sight and sound of a great play by making it a memorable moment.

Comment

I forgot to mention Russell Yamanoha as a color analyst with the KFVE UH football broadcast, which seems to get less and less games. But, he gets to grind those whoopa cheap eats plate lunches.

Comment

What if Brett Favre decides to play one more year with the Vikings since he became a free agent? His number one fan John Madden might unretire too.

Comment

Working...
                          X