I quit at Wal-Mart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I quit at Wal-Mart

Good to see the right message got across.

Don't misrepresent the facts. It's all in the presentation.

Comment

Adrian, just go with a case by case basis. The fact that you never dropped your computer job means even if you did not have Walmart on your resume, there is no gap. So if a job opportunity would seem to be hampered if you did list Walmart, due to the short time of employment, then leave it out. If you applied for a job opportunity where the Walmart experience would help, then put it on the resume. Just rearrange the facts when you need to.

Comment

I say leave the WM experience on your resume.

WM may be a bad employer but they are filling a need, to hire people off of the welfare roles. Anytime the burden is reduced to provide subsidies, it's always a benefit to the local economy.

Trust me Adrian, if you think WM was bad, try working for The Gas Company. I tell my co-workers at Home Depot when they complain about our managers that they are nicer and more open than some of the managers I had to work for at TGC.

Read Dilbert and you'll get an idea of life at TGC. Catberg: The evil director of Human Resources is a perfect example of HR there. He hates everybody until he has a reason to like you.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: I quit at walmart

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
          Also, don't bash your former employer at your next interview no matter how crappy they treated you.
          Agreed - it only makes you look bad as a potential employee.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Wow, so at least in Hawai‘i, the pay from a pure wage standpoint is higher at Wal-Mart then a union shop like Safeway. I heard Safeway’s “cart guys” make $7.25 an hour. Their stock clerks and cashiers make $8 to start. Maybe Safeway kicks Wal-Mart’s butt in the benefits department? hmmmm....
            Yes at Safeway, our "cart guys" (courtesy clerks, CC's for short) starts at $7.25, our General Merchandise Clerks (GMC's= jr clerks) also start at $7.25, our Food Clerks start out at $8.00.

As for the benefits, it really depends on which Tier you are on. Each tier has different benefits.
            Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Adrian, just go with a case by case basis. The fact that you never dropped your computer job means even if you did not have Walmart on your resume, there is no gap. So if a job opportunity would seem to be hampered if you did list Walmart, due to the short time of employment, then leave it out. If you applied for a job opportunity where the Walmart experience would help, then put it on the resume. Just rearrange the facts when you need to.
              yeah, what he said. *thumbs up*

my two cents:

if you're sending your resume to some amorphous HR dept, leave walmart off, esp if you have other instances of short employment with other places.

if you find yourself in an interview where the interviewer asks, "what was your worst job, and why?" you could mention your wal-mart job if you hadn't listed it on your resume but ONLY if you can convincingly and sincerely turn it into a positive that your potential employer would find beneficial.

a resume does not have to list every single job you've ever had. a resume's purpose is to describe your work experience and accomplishments in the best possible light. leaving it off, should you choose, is not a bad thing.

regarding other advice here re leaving bcs of a bad manager--i agree that most times, that's a huge reason why people leave. but there's a difference between merely bad (in which case, suck it up, at least until you learn whatever it is you're supposed to learn and can gracefully move out of the company or deparment)and unbearably, soul-diminishingly bad (in which case, you might do well to bail asap). as you get older, you'll learn what that difference is FOR YOU (no one can tell you what that is).
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                a resume does not have to list every single job you've ever had. a resumes purpose is to describe your work experience and accomplishments in the best possible light. leaving it off, should you choose, is not a bad thing.
                Exactly. And customize your resume for each job you apply for. If the job involves grunt work, then maybe wal mart would be good to put in - to show you can do it. Otherwise, for a professional job, I'd leave it out.

And one more thing - too many people who write their resumes concentrate on what they did. What you need to emphasize is what your responsibilities where and what you accomplished. I think you said you've single handedly ran the computer store for periods. If so, list that. That's quite a responsibility. If you didn't have much in the way of accomplishments and responsibilities at Wal Mart, then that's a good reason to leave it off.

Comment

The one big problem is that you quit by walking out the door, and not with the customary and polite two weeks notice.

Now...has anyone got a Youtube of that old country-western song...how did it go?....You can take this job and shove it, I ain't workin here no more...lalalala, gonna walk right out that door....
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    if you think WM was bad, try working for The Gas Company. I tell my co-workers at Home Depot when they complain about our managers that they are nicer and more open than some of the managers I had to work for at TGC.

Read Dilbert and you'll get an idea of life at TGC. Catberg: The evil director of Human Resources is a perfect example of HR there. He hates everybody until he has a reason to like you.
                    ...The PR team at TGC on the other hand, is first rate. Some of the best “spinners of the facts” in the business, and one of the reasons the company continues to look good, despite statewide customer complaints.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      * customize your resume for each job you apply for.
                      * too many people who write their resumes concentrate on what they did. What you need to emphasize is what your responsibilities were and what you accomplished.
                      GG makes two very valuable points here; don't let them get lost in the discussion, Adrian.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        ...The PR team at TGC on the other hand, is first rate. Some of the best “spinners of the facts” in the business, and one of the reasons the company continues to look good, despite statewide customer complaints.
                        Now the PR department is actually a great department...um all one person that is. Steve Golden really is a great guy and has to deal with a very monumental task of handling PR and Government Affairs.

I must make one thing perfectly clear about TGC is that they really are a great bunch from Union to Management, however because it's so laden with traditional bueracratic policies it makes working there frustrating as hell when it comes to personnel issues.

I've had to walk thru customer issues from contractors to residential issues that would normally get bogged down in protocal. I've had to use favors granted to me because I did a favor for another department to get a certain order thru so we could get a certain LPG tanker running. Lots of things like that just to keep operations running smoothly.

Once I had to slide a certain regulator setup up the priority line so a contractor could complete his job at a major hotel. Any delay would have cost him thousands of dollars. You can bet he was happy and continued doing business with us because of that.

Mayor Harris' vision of tiki lights running the length of Kalakaua was another feat that took a lot of persuasion for departments to work together to get the job done in the time frame he wanted it done.

Lots of politics to get jobs done in some companies is what it takes and standard protocals just don't cut it.

So getting back OT, politics is what runs major corporate decisions, so when a lone cart pusher like Adrian quits because of bad management, there usually was some kind of reason for that bad decision on the part of a manager and the pressure put upon him to get something else done to ensure a smooth operation somewhere else in the corporate ladder.

Sh*t rolls downhill and for Adrian, the crap stopped at him. Unfortunately it's the bottom guy that ends up being the victim of all the corporate posturing. But there was a reason for it if that's any consolation.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          So getting back OT, politics is what runs major corporate decisions,
                          Well, maybe. What I've seen is what drives the politics is the numbers some head cheese decides needs to be 10% better then last years. It's all about numbers. The sad part is there's lots of ways of messing up a company just to make some number look better.

If you ever want a real thought provoking book, get Dr. Deming: The American Who Taught the Japanese About Quality

Comment

Okay, I just got back from my Hertz "interview"- which lasted a whooping 3 minutes. Heck, the application and finding the place was longer.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                            X