Computer Power Supply Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer Power Supply Question

I called around, one place wanted 92.00 for a 430W power supply. With installation they charge a percentage ofa 65.00 hourly service fee.This
    same place had a 250W PSU for 40.00.

The place I bought my computer at charges a 10.00 installation fee. I'll have to call them tomorrow to find out how much the higher watt power supply is.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
      This
      same place had a 250W PSU for 40.00.
      It's nice to save money, but with 250 W you wont be able to support a decent video card, among other things. You could also do the math (there's a website somewhere that adds up the wattage of your proposed computer components to find out what kind of power supply you need).

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
        It's nice to save money, but with 250 W you wont be able to support a decent video card, among other things. You could also do the math (there's a website somewhere that adds up the wattage of your proposed computer components to find out what kind of power supply you need).
        Oh I'm not going to be that much of cheapskate. I'm going to go and see if i can get an equal wattage PSU.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Even at $39 that's fairly cheap. Look at NewEgg's customer reviews and see what are the good PSU's and what aren't.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I ended up buying an Antec Smart Power 2.0 ATX 12V v2.0 400W PSU for 74.95.The PSU has two fans,one that blows cool air out inside. The other is facing out kicks in when the PSU gets too hot.

Luckily I replaced the old PSU. The dust was caked on the electrical components.
            Last edited by Konaguy; July 11, 2007, 02:36 PM.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Luckily I replaced the old PSU. The dust was caked on the electrical components.
              You may want to consider re-locating the CPU. Places near the floor pick up a lot more dust then those at desk level. Either that or clean it out more often. A vacuum cleaner and a can of air would make short work of it.

Comment

I think the problem should go away this time. As the PSU I bought has two fans.The inside one blows hot air out. If the PSU gets too hot, the second fan kicks in. I called them up just because I was curious when the other fan kicks in. The Antec tech support person said 50 ?
                The Kona Blog

Comment

If you want to help protect your fans from dust, there's an electronics supply store by the airport that sells foam filters w/brackets for your ports. They also have lots of raw cat-5/6 and pretty Flukes.
                  "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                    If you want to help protect your fans from dust, there's an electronics supply store by the airport that sells foam filters w/brackets for your ports. They also have lots of raw cat-5/6 and pretty Flukes.
                    IC Supply on Ualena Street.
                    Last edited by Altivec; July 13, 2007, 01:59 AM. Reason: correct spelling typo
                    Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I think the problem should go away this time.
                      As long as you have a fan, you'll have a problem with dust. The fact the fan only runs as needed and not all the time will mean it takes longer to build up the dust, but it will still happen.

You can use the fan cycling as a clue. I know certain machines at work when I hear the fans running on high more then usual - it's time to clean them. (But that has more to do with dust on the CPU heatsink then the power supply.)

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                        Or just do what I do and pick up some air conditioning filter material available at any home improvement center such as HOME DEPOT (Frost King) or maybe umm Lowes or similar

Cut out a piece of it and either place it inside between the fan and the case or if you're lazy tape it to the grill on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          As long as you have a fan, you'll have a problem with dust. The fact the fan only runs as needed and not all the time will mean it takes longer to build up the dust, but it will still happen.
                          Even if the fan that is going constantly is inside the case. As far as I can tell,the heat dissipates out through the back. The fan in that same location doesn't kick on until a certain temperature is reached.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Where there's a fan, there's dust. Bet on it.

If a fan blows air out, then the dust gets sucked in through any and all cracks in the case. Even fans that just circulate air in the case can get choked up by dust because the main fan pulls it in.

Comment

This is why I think all fans should intake fresh air. Intake can be filtered and because of positive air pressure within the case hot air is blown outward.

The CPU fan will draw heat away from the heatsink but will exhaust within the case. A case fan should draw fresh air to displace the hotter air from within.

Right now I'm installing two fresh air 80mm intake fans with filters in my tower because I've located it under the desk where cool air isn't quite so apparent. P4s run very hot so good cooling is essential for these bastards.

Comment

A bit off-topic, but I think I'm in the right crowd of geeks. Is there any place in Honolulu that deals in electroluminescent or EL cold lighting? Like LightSheet products.
                                Burl Burlingame
                                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                                X