• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 99 Ranch Market closing doors

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
    yeah, so is Grocery outlet, too
    http://starbulletin.com/97/03/28/business/story4.html
    Perhaps will be replacd with: A Gem?? Not sure yet.
    http://starbulletin.com/97/02/20/business/story2.html
    SIGH. There goes our favorite store.
    Aloha.
    Uhhh...Serenity? You do realize that these stories are a decade old, yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Uhhh...Serenity? You do realize that these stories are a decade old, yeah?
      Well, Grocery Outlet IS closing...again...for good this time, as of March 30!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The Grocery Outlet on Dillingham I assume your referring to I saw a sign that says it is closing soon, I wouldnt be surprised if that entire complex gets razed in the next few years.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post

What is up with that??

I hope that it is not due to more $$$ financiall matter they we need a lot of.

Can any one enlighten me on this matter?.

Thank you so much.

Aloha.
          Seems that many old time businesses' lease contracts are expiring and the landowners are trying to catch up to the market by making hemangous increases in lease rents for renewals. Shucks, maybe someone else saw it on the news? One business had their lease rent increased from $11,000 per month to over $30,000. Can't see how they can deal with such a big increase when most small businesses are barely holding their own. This particular business decided to call it quits. There was just no way they could increase sales to match the increase.

Places like 99 probably had a drop off of business during the years they've been there. Their lease contract is probably up and there's no way they can generate enough sales to cover the, more than likely, huge increase in lease rent. Gotta figure they use quite a bit of square footage.

Personally, I only go there for the food vendors in the food court and even that's not too often. I find the place.....filthy. It always smells, not just inside, but outside as well. Yeah, well so does Chinatown, but Chinatown has more "character" and it's supposed to be dirty and smelly. It's always an adventure when we go there. I agree about the parking.

Also, 99 never had anything we really needed that we couldn't find at more convenient places like Don Quixote in Waipahu or Pearl City or even Marukai.
          Heck, even Tamura's in Wahiawa has most of what we use.

Comment

is ranch 99 pau already??? have not yet had time to go pay last visits to store yet....maybe I will go for a quick lunch at Bea's and ck it out then...

Comment

Originally posted by hifotog View Post
              is ranch 99 pau already??? have not yet had time to go pay last visits to store yet....maybe I will go for a quick lunch at Bea's and ck it out then...
              Fuggetaboudit already. Went by there last week and all they had were a few bottles and packages of I-don't-know-what-made-in-Thailand-or-Vietnam at 50% off. 90% of the store was empty. I'm sure their doors are closed this weekend. Go eat odea instead.

Comment

I guess I will patronize Bea's...luv their hamburger meals...all greasy . As for R99, I will probably miss their cheap "after 5pm" bentos. 50% off BUT...if you were a connoseur like me, you would notice that some stuff in dem bentos couldnt "hold up" to late nite eaters like me...it would start to get gooey! the rice would get hard. But, the bess bento then was the marinated eels--unagi....oohh baby baby!! I think all da fish n crabs n lobsters there are super happy now....imagine if you can please, being BOILED ALIVE after being "the chosen one" for a meal....MAN!! I used to freak when Id hear the sound of a splattering boil...someone once posted that them fish and crustaceans actually dont feel that sudden heat/death that came to them after being tossed in the bath of hot scalding boiling water. I gusss too that I will miss the cheap hamburger per/pd...they were the cheapest at times...ranging from 99c to 1.19 per pd. some of them cashiers I will miss thou...some were pretty, cute, and friendly. Oh well...since its confirmed by recent postings....I guess I will take out my Ranch 99 club card and stick it somewhere as a reminder of good times, good prices, good bentos....good things must come to an end...sooner or later

Comment

Never tried their bentos. Used to go straight to their bakery or Chinese food counter. Btw, up to 6 months prior to their closing, they didn't bother renewing or checking "membership" cards. Didn't know what was up with that. Maybe they knew what was going to happen from way back.

Anyways, if anything our family is hoping Palama market opens there. Way closer than having to drive down Dillingham side from Wahiawa and we used to go there way more often.

Comment

Hello,

Just wanted to ask if the location of ranch 99 killed the business ?
                    I know it's near the airport and commercial area so the spot should get
                    traffic, but I also knew it doesnt have easy highway access.

I wanted to know if perhaps bad management killed the business or
                    lack of people traffic.

Here in CA, we have one ranch99 that seems like nowhere but it's getting good traffic.

and Hopefully someday, I'll be living in Hawaii just like you guys..

Thanks
                    California Information - places to visit and Things To Do in California

Comment

Originally posted by kthor View Post
                      Hello,

Just wanted to ask if the location of ranch 99 killed the business ?
                      I know it's near the airport and commercial area so the spot should get
                      traffic, but I also knew it doesnt have easy highway access.

I wanted to know if perhaps bad management killed the business or
                      lack of people traffic.

Here in CA, we have one ranch99 that seems like nowhere but it's getting good traffic.

and Hopefully someday, I'll be living in Hawaii just like you guys..

Thanks
                      In my opinion, it was location that killed it. It was in a light industrial/commercial area and it wasn't right along any major traffic route with easy access.

Which one in CA are you thinking about?

Comment

I thought it was quite accessible from the H-1, just take the Tripler cutoff and turn left. It is also easy to get back on the H-1 heading east or west. I feel it was more that unlike on the mainland we have enough Southeast Asian markets available and also that Palama Market have the lock on the Korean population. I think the location would have been bad for Palama Market.

Comment

I do think location had a lot to do with it. But a much more hampering issue, I think, was parking. I went out of my way when they first opened to see what Ranch 99 was all about, but I could not find parking -- not once, not twice, not three times, not ever. Results: I've never been there.

Comment

My money is on Da Rolling Eye's guess. When I tried to find a space for my store last year, it was hard to find a place and then the prices were ridiculous. And if its run by Sofos, forget about it. Worst landlords ever.
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              In my opinion, it was location that killed it. It was in a light industrial/commercial area and it wasn't right along any major traffic route with easy access.

Which one in CA are you thinking about?
                              sorry was thinking of another version of ranch 99..
                              I believe all ranch 99 in ca are near freeway with easy ramp access..
                              California Information - places to visit and Things To Do in California

Comment

Working...
                              X