Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:29 AM
Ali`i

Default Brown rice

I think I may know why it doesn't happen but I will ask anyway. By any chance is their such a thing as brown rice sushi?
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Brown rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
I think I may know why it doesn't happen but I will ask anyway. By any chance is their such a thing as brown rice sushi?
I've never seen one sold commercially, but I have made brown rice&spam musubis for our kids' sports concession booths. They were winnas with the coaches, but kids and most parents would stare at them curiously. They always sold out.

And we sold them for $.50 more.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Kia`aina

Actually, if you purchase a "Fuzzy Logic" Rice cooker with brown rice setting, the rice will turn out similar to white rice. The down side is that the cooking cycle is about 3 hours long. You can set it and forget it and have the rice ready when you are.
Old December 13th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Haumana

Brown rice turns out to have less moisture and is not as sticky as white rice so not an ideal medium to hold itself together in any kind of shape. It is possible, though, as mentioned above, to cook brown rice a certain way to make it more sticky. Using a fancy rice cooker is one way. Soaking the rice in water(usually 2:1 ratio of water to rice-so if you're cooking 6 cups of rice, use 8 cups of water) for about an hour before cooking it will soften it up and make it stickier.
Brown rice musubis sure do sound good! I would've bought one even if it was more than 50 cents!
Old December 13th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Ali`i

I wish plate lunch places (and wagons) would offer a choice between white rice and brown rice. Of course, I'd like it even more if there was also the option for mashed potatoes and gravy. If L&L would offer that choice, I'd eat there much more often.
Old December 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Kia`aina

Default Mmmmmm... brown rice

I love brown rice! Gourmet Express at Kahala Mall used to sell bambucha brown rice musubi. I haven't seen it there for a long time, so they may have discontinued it or I may just have to get there earlier. Either way, tell them to make it again (or make more)!

Also, Well Bento (next to the University Jiffy Lube on Beretania, upstairs from that record store) has brown rice, and the plate lunches there are BROK DA MOUT! (My favorite is the Zen with a side of Louisiana Seitan.)

Other places with brown rice:
Like Like Drive-Inn!
Zippy's
I Love Country Café

And if you ever hit L.A., check out Toi on Sunset Blvd. It's a Thai restaurant just east of The Laugh Factory and their brown rice is unlike any I've ever had.

I have to go eat some brown rice now!!!
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Kumu

I've seen brown rice maki sushi for sale at Foodland Market City. Haven't tried it though.
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Kumu

The sushi joint I have lunch at has two sushi menus....one for white rice and the other for brown rice. I had a couple myself one day and really don't care for it. I do, however, love brown rice and mix it with white rice in my rice cooker.
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Not that I know of, but there is a spam musubi with brown rice selling at your local 7-Eleven.
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Ali`i

Anybody know what kind of beans to mix in Brown Rice? The Korean Store sells in packages but it's in Korean. I want a combination of beans. Any idea.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Ali`i

The Ala Manoa Foodland sells brown rice sushi. I tried it a couple of times so far, it seems to be okay.
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
Anybody know what kind of beans to mix in Brown Rice? The Korean Store sells in packages but it's in Korean. I want a combination of beans. Any idea.

Auntie Lynn
Are you mixing the beans just for texture? The red azuki beans with brown rice makes a pretty interesting dish.

Another simple suggestion is this simple recipe:

Brown Rice
One or Two cans of seasoned baby clams
Cubed or sliced carrots
One can water chestnuts, sliced thin
Shoyu
Sesame Seed Oil

Add all ingredients to your rice cooker adding the liquids from the canned items (baby clams and chestnuts)

Add one teaspoon sesame seed oil
Add shoyu to taste (I like Aloha brand because of the sweetness)

Press the cook button and disappear until it's done

It's a meal in itself but tastes great as a garnish to other seafood such as fish or sprinkle furikaki over and eat out of a rice bowl. Makes a great musubi too!

The beauty of this is that it's all done in one rice cooker, and it can be completed in as little as 1/2-hour.

Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 15th, 2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
Another simple suggestion is this simple recipe:

Brown Rice
Cubed or sliced carrots
Shoyu
Sesame Seed Oil

Add all ingredients to your rice cooker adding the liquids from the canned items (baby clams and chestnuts)

Press the cook button and disappear until it's done

It's a meal in itself but tastes great as a garnish to other seafood such as fish or sprinkle furikaki over and eat out of a rice bowl. Makes a great musubi too!

The beauty of this is that it's all done in one rice cooker, and it can be completed in as little as 1/2-hour.
I think I'm gonna' try this. Sounds oishii! Perhaps put a grilled Saba on top.
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Ali`i

I forgot make sure you ADD WATER!!! The amount of water used should be the same as you would normally use for brown rice.

I like to use the same as I would for white rice because I like the texture. However with brown rice you really should let the rice soak for a while to soften the husks a bit. And remember that the items will displace water levels so adjust your amount of rice and water so the levels don't get too high.

When I cook brown rice I usually let the rice soak in water for a couple of hours before cooking.
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
[...]
Brown Rice
Cubed or sliced carrots
Shoyu
Sesame Seed Oil

[...]
Yummm...I wanna try this but I'm one of those unimaginative cooks who needs amounts. How much uncooked brown rice are you talkin' about?
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Yummm...I wanna try this but I'm one of those unimaginative cooks who needs amounts. How much uncooked brown rice are you talkin' about?
When you cook for yourself or for others, use the same amount that you normally use. I usually make enough for a ten-cup rice cooker (typical size)

If you like a lot of clams use two cans, if you like less, use one can. I like to use two cans of clams.

You can also use white rice, I just add more shoyu to flavor the rice. The secret to this dish is the baby clams and the oil it's packed in. You can add anything to this dish as the rice cooker steams everything. Once in a while I use soybeans. But you can add anything you want. Mine is just a simple one that I concocted when I was simply bored.

BTW if anyone's in Hilo this weekend my cousin Jean Hee Watanabe will be at KTA Puinako from 10-2pm signing her cooking books. They're the ones you see on the racks at Longs, Borders etc with the collated binding and lots of local recipes for main dishes and desserts. Don't read the preface though, she loves to talk about da family in da past in Hilo back in da 60's.
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
The Ala Manoa Foodland sells brown rice sushi. I tried it a couple of times so far, it seems to be okay.
On tonight's Sam Choy's Kitchen on KHNL, the first segment featured Brown Rice Sushi and Musubi by Chef Kelvin Ro of Diamond Head Market and Grill (formerly Burgerland) on Monsarrat street. The recipes should be published next week on that MidWeek link.

Looked oishii!
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Ali`i

vim and vigor at ala moana used to sell brown rice musubi. l & l drive in, kaneohe, lets you substitute white for brown rice and tossed salad instead of mac. i think it costs extra, but i could be wrong.

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Ali`i

Brown rice has the bran on it. Bran is high in magnesium - #1 on the Mg chart. Magnesium is important to help muscles relax, especially under heavy exertion.

Cramps on the football field can almost always be traced to magnesium deficiency. Cramps are 2 pronged. Potassium and Water help to prevent them. Magnesium helps them go away quickly.

If you have a child playing hard sports like football, switching to brown rice will help a lot. Pumpkin seeds will do the same thing.
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
Brown rice has the bran on it. Bran is high in magnesium - #1 on the Mg chart. Magnesium is important to help muscles relax, especially under heavy exertion.

Cramps on the football field can almost always be traced to magnesium deficiency. Cramps are 2 pronged. Potassium and Water help to prevent them. Magnesium helps them go away quickly.

If you have a child playing hard sports like football, switching to brown rice will help a lot. Pumpkin seeds will do the same thing.
i've heard of these findings. also, it's been said that magnesium helps in maintaining blood pressure levels.

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Vim and Vigor health food store used to have them. I don't know if they still make it.
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Ali`i

we haven't bought a bag of white rice for over five years. We only eat brown. If we cook three cups of brown rice, we fill the water to the 4 line. If we cook four cups of brown rice, we fill it to the 5 line. If we are making a pan of brown rice, eight cups gets used, water filled to the 10 line.

pax
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Ali`i

Are there recipes for use with brown rice, be it musubi or fried rice?
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ali`i

I make b/rice musubi all the time. Aside from the water recommendations, nothing differs, regardless of recipe.

pax