Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oprah calling it quits in 2011!

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Oh it is a big economic blow if she pulls out of Chicago and that would end a long run of successful talk shows taped in the city (Phil Donahue
    I liked Phil Hartman's impression of Phil Donahue on SNL when he goes on a tangent and the guest or the audience member doesn't remember the question.

Comment

My tastes and attitude has changed over the years when it was first on the air I watched it all the time, I also liked the late Morton Downey Jr.'s show as well. And now looking back, I can't believe I watched those shows at all.
      Some people today might find this hard to believe, but Phil Donahue's show was quite intellectual when it first started out. But when competitors like Sally Jessy Raphael and Oprah Winfrey came on the scene, then ole Phil started to "dumb down" the content on his show with tabloid topics as he noticed his ratings were starting to erode. But the topical talk show format went to hell in a handbasket when Geraldo Rivera, Morton Downey Jr., and Jerry Springer turned their stages into soap opera spectacles that took advantage of a pre-reality show era TV viewership that was just fascinated by the unpredictable (and sometimes, out of control) drama taking place in the studio..... never mind the subject that the host and the guests were supposed to be talking about and debating. In the midst of all this blatant exploitation and trash, Donahue's show (diluted content and all) began to look more and more passe. Donahue finally hung up the mike in 1996, with no fanfare. (Certainly, he got none of the farewell treatment that Johnny Carson got, or that Oprah is about to receive.) But as time has moved on, I think folks have gained a greater appreciation and respect for the legacy Phil left behind.

I thought about this too. I don't know how you correctly differentiate the two other than stating one is daytime and one is late night. If we are going that way then Tom Snyder and Johnny Carson win hands down, Dick Cavett is in there too.
      It goes without saying that daytime and late-night talk shows are totally different animals. If we're going to throw all types of syndicated and network talk shows into the discussion, then the host with the all-time record for longest continuous run in one show isn't Phil Donahue. It would be Johnny Carson's 30 year tenure at the helm of the Tonight Show.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

My favorite talk shows were Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin, Phil Donahue (who I admit was stale and boring in his final years).
        Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        I'm with you there, but I am old enough to add some Jack Paar into the mix.
        Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Steve Allen was my all time favorite. There are about 5 of us on HT who remember that name! So talented, that man.
        So maybe Oprah would follow their example and just sort of fade out from the limelight. Spend all her time with Stedman and her charities.

Yeah, sure. Like that's ever gonna happen.

She'll start right up again on OWN, probably from the same Harpo Galactic HQ building she's in now, and talk about whatever she wants without even caring about what the syndicate affiliates are doing. And they'll all carry Oprah (just like cable operators carry Disney & ESPN) because they're all terrified of the geezer-customer backlash against their advertisers.

She already has Dr. Phil & Dr. Oz. Maybe she could add a personal trainer's show, a healthy-cooking show, and something to compete with Judge Judy... and, hey, what's Dog doing for bounty-hunter shows these days?
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_534517.html

Did John Tesh play the Entertainment Tonight theme before they had sex?

Comment

Did anything memorable happened on her final show?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Did anything memorable happened on her final show?
              Did anything memorable happen on ANY of her shows?

Comment

Ummm...errrr...for those of you who didn't watch Oprah over the years, she covered so many relevant, controversial topics and inspired 2 generations of women not to mention a lot of guys who probably won't admit to it!. Not everyone cared for her show, of course, but it wasn't your typical daytime talk show fare.

WB...her very last show was a "love letter" to her viewers...no guests. It was touching and poignant. The 2 previous shows were a surprise to her by her staff; a gathering of the rich and famous and the not so rich and famous. The latter included, among others, the 400+ men Oprah put thru Morehouse College.

Not bad for an illegitimate black baby born in a dusty little town in Mississippi who was sexually abused as a child.

Comment

I fear her legacy will be more along the lines of Tom Cruise jumping on her couch, and the unleashing of Dr. Phil upon an unsuspecting world.

OK, OK, I'm not being fair, simply because I put so little stock in the dumbed-down and short-attention-span circus that is most television programming. To counter that, I must admit that Oprah Winfrey was a ground-breaker in many ways, not only in opening doors for other African-Americans and women in the television business, but in her other entertainment ventures and philanthropic efforts.

Comment

oooooh, I blew it...

not to mention a lot of guys who probably won't admit to it!
                    OK OK, I admit it, I never watched Oprah!
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      I fear her legacy will be more along the lines of Tom Cruise jumping on her couch, and the unleashing of Dr. Phil upon an unsuspecting world.[...]
                      Probably no more than, say, Matt Lauer's legacy will be getting reamed by Tom Cruise or Ellen's legacy will be losing a tv show for coming out.

Personally, I feel Oprah's legacy will be her plethora of philanthropic work. I wasn't aware of the 400+ Morehouse grads who owe their education to her...until they walked thru the United Center during her farewell show extravagaza (next to last show), lights dimmed, each holding a candle. During it's existence her Angel Network charity did wonderful things. And, there's so much more. I honestly believe the majority of people know she is so much more than Tom Cruise or Dr. Phil.

I certainly don't care who likes and dislikes her show. To each his own. However, I'm so inspired by her, the odds against her and holding true to her beliefs and values. She walks the talk, imnsho.

I doubt I would've enjoyed working at Harpo, however!

Comment

Oprah is certainly very talented, very popular and very rich, as well as being compassionate (she can afford it, and it's a great tax writeoff as well as publicity stunt). Yet her sincerity shows in the anonymous gifts she gives.

However, there is no way she is 'calling it quits in 2011;' she will just change the mode of her public interaction. More the better for us - or at least for those who follow her.
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          [...]
                          However, there is no way she is 'calling it quits in 2011;' she will just change the mode of her public interaction. More the better for us - or at least for those who follow her.
                          She's made it public that she'll be devoting her time to her new network. I haven't heard whether or not the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) was the primary reason for her to end her show but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. She can have so much more creative input in a network than in a single show. And make a much bigger impact.

Comment

WB...her very last show was a "love letter" to her viewers...no guests. It was touching and poignant.
                            http://www.popmodal.com/video/956/Jo...w-Bette-Midler

The most memorable last show on a talk show was on Johnny Carson. That's why he was the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              http://www.popmodal.com/video/956/Jo...w-Bette-Midler

The most memorable last show on a talk show was on Johnny Carson. That's why he was the best.
                              That was a great show. I think I still have it on VHS!

Comment

Is there a chance that Oprah changes her mind and takes Conan's time spot?

Comment

Working...
                                X