Replacing Aloha Stadium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Aloha Stadium?

Legislators are considering a bill that would construct a new municipal stadium in West Oahu and tear down Aloha Stadium, whose land could be sold to help fund the new stadium.

Just be grateful you guys don't yet have a professional baseball or football team that could hold your county hostage! Seattle tore down a perfectly usable (and multi-use) Kingdome and constructed, in its place, a new baseball stadium (Safeco Field) and, right across the street, a new football stadium (Qwest Field), and guess who's paying for a good percentage of the construction? The taxpayers. We're losing the Seattle Sonics (out of town buyer) to another nearby city (either Bellevue or Renton) because the city is balking at paying $300 million for a new arena, when the taxpayers already helped refurbish Key Arena several years ago.

I'm sure if this bill moves forward that the speed track advocates will really get mad because the state won't help that sport build new facilities.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Replacing Aloha Stadium?

They're talking about building it out west side. I donno how well that will go over. Right now Aloha Stadium is right at the convergence of major freeways so it's in a good central location. Replacing it is one thing, but moving it is another.

Comment

Am I that old already!? I remember when it was built, and when the ruststains began. I wondered then....but we were told that the rusting would make it stronger. Hahaha! Something like a rusty and stuck bolt?
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Where is the majority of Oahu's population right now? I assume West Oahu will become the population center of Oahu but then that's the reason why the Aloha Stadium (Halawa Stadium) was built there in the first place, because of the westward growth of Oahu's population base.

The problem when it was built in Halawa was that the population base was still in Honolulu and anything past Mapunapuna was considered "country". Honolulu Stadium was always packed because of it's central location. I remember when the Aloha Stadium was built, people was crying, "too far to go".

Right now it's present location is central to the entire island with H1, H2 and H3 practically merging right onto it. And if you thought traffic was bad enough after the Pro Bowl, try H1 after a major sporting event feeding into H2, Like Like and the Pali on ramps.

Hopefully the rail planners will add a route to follow along the proposed site for the new stadium if built.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

We need to build a race track and a stadium up in the middle of nowhere in Kunia where lots of noise will never be heard!

Comment

Hire the same contractor who built the Colosseum in Rome. That one lasted pretty long!

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
              Hire the same contractor who built the Colosseum in Rome. That one lasted pretty long!
              Let's just hope our next president isn't named Nero.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It was supposed to "rust to a shiny patina". The steel company lost that lawsuit.
                Remember, DAGS will be involved in the new stadium,so that will screw that up.

Comment

http://khon2.com/2015/12/12/a-look-a...-soccer-match/

The US Women's Soccer Team is still playing on artificial turfs on the mainland. What does that say about Aloha Stadium?

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...ac545b4a3bb7bd

Possible disappearing business.

Comment

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/pla...ment-district/

Hey hey, My my.

Comment

Working...
                      X