Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette
Default Re: Buffet Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post

It would be funny to see a buffet restaurant charge people by their body weight (and actually use a scale to check!): 0-100 lbs. - $10/person; 101-150 lbs. - $15/person; 150-200 lbs. - $20, 201 lbs. and above - $30.
Weight isn't always an indicator of appetite. I've seen some scrawny guys with bottomless stomachs! Isn't the winner of a hot dog eating contest always some skinny Asian guy?
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Ali`i

The first rule of buffet eating: Take all you want, eat all you take.
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
The way I see it, the dining public is at the mercy of every restaurant. In addition to the staff's germs and whatever else an angry employee might add, buffets expose food to the public's germs. Did anyone see the magazine show's (20/20, Dateline...can't remember which one) expose, with hidden camera, of what can go on in the kitchen? Disgusting.

Eating in a restaurant is a matter of trust.
I don't want to see how Portugese Sausage is made.
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
Weight isn't always an indicator of appetite. I've seen some scrawny guys with bottomless stomachs! Isn't the winner of a hot dog eating contest always some skinny Asian guy?
Good point.

The "skinny asian guy" you're referring to is Takeru Kobayashi, who won Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest for 6 consecutive years straight; his latest and greatest achievement by eating 53 hot dogs in 12 minutes. Insane! His record was beaten only last year when Joey Chestnut ate 66 hot dogs; Joey himself not being much of a big guy, either.

Then there's "skinny asian gal/gigantic eater" Sonya Thomas.

But those are professional competitive eaters who are experts at mind-over-matter. I would think (or hope!) if they were just dining out casually, they eat "normal" quantities, and aren't at the local buffet wolfing down 60 Shrimp Tempura in 12 minutes. lol
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidiva View Post
I judge them on whether they have oysters...
Ugh.

(Cough, cough) years back I enjoyed a the buffet brunch at a very nice restaurant in Marina Del Rey to celebrate my college graduation. Oysters went down really well with champagne - but unfortunately didn't stay there!

Suffice to say I spent my graduation night not out partying with classmates, but rather flat on my back with cold sweats and wishing for an early death. The following day I tried to suck it up and join my visiting family at Disneyland, but it certainly wasn't the Happiest Place on Earth for me. Let's just say I'm now intimately familiar with just about every bathroom in the park.

To this day I won't go anywhere near an oyster at a buffet!
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
I don't want to see how Portugese Sausage is made.
We used to "make our own" back in the old days. We never ground the ingredients into a mushy paste which was then force-fed into the casings. Instead, there were actual cubes of pork and fat along with the various spices stuffed into the casings which were then slow-smoked. The chubs were fat little rascals weighing at least one lb. And, oh so delicious with eggs and rice.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Oysters went down really well with champagne - but unfortunately didn't stay there!
Oh no! I've heard quite a few horror stories - not just from buffets either.

I hope it NEVER happens to me. The main reason I like them at buffets is because I can eat a lot of them and that really adds up when you're paying by the half dozen or dozen! Let's just say that if there is an oyster eating contest here, my husband would sign me up in a heartbeat! He is amazed at how many I can eat!

My kids love them too so if I buy a dozen and have to share with them - I never get enough so then I order a dozen more... you get the picture...

Mother's Day two years ago hubby got me three dozen from the fish market - they weren't so fun when I had to shuck them myself though! I know what I'm risking when I eat them at a restaurant but I don't care - they are SO GOOD!
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Luna

Oh, I love 'em, and considering their price in "regular" restaurants, buffets can be a great bargain for oyster lovers. Unfortunately, you seldom see the staff shucking them fresh and therefore have no idea how long they've been sitting out. That's a mistake I won't make twice.

If you don't mind shucking them yourself, they can be bought in Chinatowns and Asian markets at a bargain. We're lucky in the Bay Area to have some oyster farms which sell directly to the public - can't get any fresher than that. Some even have BBQ/picnic areas on site for a really fun day out.

Our favorite

Sorry to derail topic with oyster talk!
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
It would be funny to see a buffet restaurant charge people by their body weight (and actually use a scale to check!): 0-100 lbs. - $10/person; 101-150 lbs. - $15/person; 150-200 lbs. - $20, 201 lbs. and above - $30.
When I was a kid there was a restaurant called "The Big Yellow House" (or something like that, I think it was a chain) that charged kids by weight. You had to step on a one of those old giant scales like at the carnival where they guess your weight. Instead of actual weight, the pointer would indicate the price you were charged for your meal.

I don't remember anything about the food, just the scale. I guess I'm still somewhat traumatized by the shame of always "topping out" on the kids' menu price!
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Kumu

Thanks for that link, NoCal Boy!

SHUCKS (pun intended) - I was just in the Bay Area in February - the kids and I would have been in heaven at the Hog Island Oyster Co.

I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in NoCal - hopefull in the summer so we can picnic on site.

As for shucking - um, I'm no good at it!