Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hamburger Steak Plate Lunch

Originally posted by na alii View Post
    The building was called Aiea Community Store but everyone called it Kanda's with the laundromat.
    That was the name! Kanda's! A comfortable, no-frill, soda fountain-like place. Very popular with Aiea High school kids.

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    My friend said one of the ladies (an aunt?) at Omiya's used to lick the rice off her fingers while she made the cone sushi (aburage) in front of the customers. Then she'd ask, "How many you like?".
    Whoa! Good thing I neva ate the cone sushi. Only plate lunch ... with real plates ... and green river.

Comment

My two favorite Hamburger Steaks are from Spot's Drive-In on Dillingham by HCC and Kakaako Kitchen. If you're really hungry, order the Hambureger Steak as part of Spot's "Mega-Plate"

Comment

Dot's sizzling hamburger steak is good, but it's been downsized. Not as big as it used to be. Still ono. Still a great deal that includes a drink, tossed salad or soup and dessert.

Alas, Uncle Ron's on Mango St. closed. See that styro container in the pic? Their steak used to cover the whole thing. 2 lbs. to start. You had to eat through to the rice and mac salad. The loco moco used to be the same. I think there's still a place in Kailua that sells a similar HS plate. Great if you don't have a cholesterol problem.

Just went to Tsukenjo's on Friday after a decade, having moved out to Wahiawa. Same crew, same great large mix with HS and roast pork. Wife and daughter couldn't finish their lunches. Mel had the HS. 2 huge patties and lots of real gravy, no fillers. I only had enough room for the tossed salad and the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
          My two favorite Hamburger Steaks are from Spot's Drive-In on Dillingham by HCC and Kakaako Kitchen. If you're really hungry, order the Hambureger Steak as part of Spot's "Mega-Plate"
          I believe that SPOT'S took over the space from GRACE'S DRIVE-INN. Grace's "empire" once included Moiliili (Beretania St. near Star Supermarket), downtown (Alakea St.), Waipahu, and Dillingham (now Spot's), in addition to their current locations in Makiki (next to Time's Supermarket), Kapahulu (Market City, across Kaimuki HS), and Aiea (Moanalua Road, near the Newtown driving range). Oh, I remember their lunchwagon on Metcalf Street next to the YMCA across UH. Those were the days when their plate lunches ranged from $0.50-0.85.

Comment

Yesterday, I was in town and tried for the HB steak plate lunch from PONGO'S. Alas, no parking anywhere reasonably close by, so I headed over to SPOT'S. The burger was tasty and had grill marks on the good-sized patty. I also enjoyed the onions, but the gravy was only so-so as it seemed to be a more bland corn starch-based concoction and needed more pan drippings for flavor. PONGO'S darker gravy seems more palatable.

I prefer the larger single patty over the two or three smaller ones offered by most other places, although Rainbow's threesome are very tasty.

Comment

Hawaii Kai has limited plate lunch resources, which include L&L, Loco Moco Drive Inn and Zippy's. But the last place you'd expect to find a plate lunch is at The Shack, which is known more for American classics such as burgers, sandwiches, ribs and steak than "2 scoops mac salad and rice" fare.

Well this past weekend, we sampled this...

The Shack Hamburger Steak Plate Lunch, $7.25

You know what? This was really good! This certainly breaks their mold as a "burger joint" and widens their appeal. Perhaps Teddy's and Kua Aina oughta' consider doing HS as well.

Witness the grill marks on their newly touted 100% angus beef 1/4 lb. patties (x2), the same patties they use for their burgers, which carried on that signature char-grilled (open gas flame) flavor.

The brown gravy had "meaty" depth (like Pongo's), not "cornstarch'ish" as mentioned above, and topped with plenty of sweet sautéed onions.

The mac salad was simple and creamy, pretty much similar to Zippy's in flavor. And they gave a HEAP of it.

The white rice was perfectly steamed and also more like two "over-scoops".

A nice touch is the bed of shredded cabbage underneath, which adds a third dimension of texture to the overall dish.

The dine-in version is served on a (large) porcelain oval plate, which provides that "home-cooked" appeal and also keeps the food warm longer. The take-out version is served in the standard styro' clamshell box.

If you're a Hamburger Steak fan, The Shack's version is a must-try.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There's a THE SHACK in Mililani, so I'll check them out.

Comment

That's IT! I'm at the HK SHACK tomorrow for HS takeout on my way to work.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Got the HB steak plate lunch from THE SHACK in Mililani the other day. Very tasty, especially the gravy and onions which complemented the grilled patties.

The only thing I didn't care for was the mac salad, which didn't look like the scoop in Pomai's photo.

Comment

I would have reported on mine by now, but I haven't had a chance to go. Maybe next week sometime. Even though I'm not a construction worker or a biker, I think they'll still sell me an HB plate to go.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

My twin boys LOVE the hamburger steak/patties at KJ's Ono Grindz at WWCity SC in Kaneohe.

We learned the hard way that 3-item plates are WAAYYYY too big, even when we're absolutely famished ... so, we go with the two-item plate. Hamburger steak is always part of what they order ... as their other fave is KJ's loco moco, which of course, comes with the same type of grilled patty.

The char-grilled flavor is really good. I suspect the patties are full of filler, though, given the super-cheap prices/large portions.

At KJ's the brown gravy is not the same as the dark, rich, industrial-grade-type at Ken's in Hilo or at Columbia Inn (which I prefer, probably BECAUSE it's worse for me) -- but hey, life's full of little trade-offs.
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                        X