Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Melting Pot
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 26th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Homeless solutions

Today's SA reported The City's latest dog and pony show cleanup for Korean dignitaries coming to see the bad sculptures located around Pawaa Park on King St., and mentioned how the sanctioned City marauders come in the middle of the nite without prior notice and force everybody out of the park while allowing ONE trip to take care of everything they have and the rest is quickly confiscated and held for $200 ransom. That's essentially theft, but under Mayor Compassion's juristiction it's OK that people like the article focused on, such as a 62 year old former teacher who's had cancer treatment and needs to use a colostomy bag had $1000 worth of similar critical supplies and medicine taken by City workers and then disposed of because she couldn't pay the insane ransom, are left even worse off than they already were. And some wonder why these folks are in such dire straits.
This Mayor and his corrupt council members need to be on the fastest train outta Dodge.
Old September 28th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Ali`i

News say's Hawaii has the second highest population of millionaire's, second only to Maryland (I think...), so there's obviously tons of money NOT being offerred or tapped in the slightest by greenback hoaders towards any humanity on the homeless issues. Sweet, real sweet, nothing like being greedy and heartlessly stingy.
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Kanaka

If there is anything that all the homeless arguments have in common, it's that homelessness in Hawaii is an intractable problem, like Lincoln's famous observation that the poor would always be with us. This is unfortunate, because it's a lie. And the worst part of it is that it makes the idea of permanent homelessness acceptable, whether you like it or not – it’s just always gonna be there. A case in point – All those official “tourist helpers” stationed all over Waikiki, cute little somewhat elderly grandmother and/or grandfather types in pseudo-police uniforms (no guns, of course!) standing around on strategic street corners of the district, or tooling around in pairs on multi-speed mountain bikes. They all have those vaguely idiotic smiles on their faces usually seen on Walmart greeters, and a fistful of maps or other helpful information. Tourist helpers? Guides? None of that, although what they mainly do is field tourists inquiries of one kind and another. (Where were these people 40-50 years ago when Waikiki was becoming a tourist hot spot? If they’re so necessary, why haven’t they always been there?) The main function of these people is to act as buffers between the indigent tourist population of the Waikiki area, and the semi-permanent homeless population, many of whom have turned the rest areas, gazebos and other shaded spots up and down Kalakaua Ave. into trash-strewn squats. Angry tourists often approach Auntie or Uncle Pseudo-Cop with complaints of being accosted or importuned in some fashion, of witnessing some act of trash-throwing or public urination, and the reply is always a soothing patter of commiseration and sympathy, as well as assurances from Auntie Pseudo Cop that all will be well soon, that “we’re working on it”, and similar nonsense and outright bullshit. Granny, of course, and the people that hired her, all know perfectly well that that whining tourist will soon be gone forever, hopefully after he’s left most of his money behind in the pockets of Waikiki merchants and professional luau operators, from the North Shore to the Waianae Side.

It’s way past time to trash the fiction of the Noble Homeless, the downtrodden and put-upon street people. It starts with the time-consuming and arduous job of segregating the truly unfortunate from the truly mentally ill who need to be permanently institutionalized (and they are legion here, let’s face it) and the genuine screw offs and manipulators who need to rousted on a constant basis until they decide that Honolulu and Hawaii are not for them. This requires policing. For example, when the same people are seen to be taking over one of the tables areas near Kuhio Beach in Waikiki day after day, or even all day long, they have to be moved along, and no screwing around. For that you need not only law enforcement able to do the job, but the will to do it, and the will to tangle with the weepers and hand wringers that will come out of the woodwork to defend them, on the sidewalks and in the courtrooms. The will is not here though, probably never will be, and so it looks like Auntie Pseudo-Cop has what amounts to a guaranteed job.

Finally, I post a pic I took this morning on Kaiulani Ave, across from the park. Just FYI - We have witnessed public urination in the Waikiki and downtown areas many times before, and worse, but this bozo is just letting all hang out. A puddle has formed in front of him in the middle of the sidewalk, and after he was done pissing, he lay down on the wall with two friends and went to sleep, his filthy little puddle of piss just waiting like a mine field for some kid to jump in or an unaware pedestrian to walk through. Do not think this kind of thing is uncommon. It must stop.

Old October 21st, 2013, 06:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bumpy View Post
It starts with the time-consuming and arduous job of segregating the truly unfortunate from the truly mentally ill who need to be permanently institutionalized and the genuine screw offs and manipulators who need to rousted on a constant basis until they decide that Honolulu and Hawaii are not for them.

For example, when the same people are seen to be taking over one of the tables areas near Kuhio Beach in Waikiki day after day, or even all day long, they have to be moved along, and no screwing around. For that you need not only law enforcement able to do the job, but the will to do it, and the will to tangle with the weepers and hand wringers that will come out of the woodwork to defend them, on the sidewalks and in the courtrooms.
Thanx for posting, MB.
Is there a genuine screw off and manipulator state for them to go to? In fact, there are so many here whom fall into such a category that you might have to create a whole new state for them, even tho most have homes. And who decides who is what and who goes? They might decide someone you care about has to go. Sounds like the courts will be throwing out such ideas, just like with your other solution re Waikiki and a free society. Whenever powers take on such actions it always ends up a disaster because they can't resist overstepping and trampling the rights of anybody to be wherever they wish in a public area. You can't pick and chose, nor can the cops come along and crack ankles with a little 'move along'.
As for jackasses like in the pic, the public needs to step up and set them straight, and I'm not adverse to punching a punk like that out, or his friends.
Old November 18th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Exclamation Re: Homeless solutions

Report: Legislator takes hammer to homeless carts
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...ts-4991734.php

"A Hawaii state lawmaker has been using a sledgehammer to address Waikiki's chronic homeless problem, a newspaper reported. State Rep. Tom Brower, D-Waikiki-Ala Moana, has been seizing shopping carts he says are stolen. If they bear no markings, he uses the sledgehammer to pound them into metal for recycling, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported Sunday. He returns carts marked with store logos."
Old November 19th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Ali`i

Loved how the paper noted HPD didn't return phone calls..., nor it seems did the rag typically that is supposed to work in the public interest bother to force an answer.
Yet absurdly, HPD have always stated that it is a chargeable offense to destroy your own belongings, but this guy can do this? If those carts aren't inscribed enuf to tell who owns them and puts them into question then doesn't the cart belong to whomever is controlling it and thus destroying it should be illegal? Look's like any homeless suffering from this guy's actions can make a citizen's arrest and slam him UP AGAINST THE WALL MO FO!
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
"A Hawaii state lawmaker has been using a sledgehammer to address Waikiki's chronic homeless problem, a newspaper reported. State Rep. Tom Brower, D-Waikiki-Ala Moana, has been seizing shopping carts he says are stolen. If they bear no markings, he uses the sledgehammer to pound them into metal for recycling, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported Sunday. He returns carts marked with store logos."
Is he a fan of Peter Gabriel?
Old December 6th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Keiki

Cool Re: Homeless solutions

Quote:

Finally, I post a pic I took this morning on Kaiulani Ave, across from the park. Just FYI - We have witnessed public urination in the Waikiki and downtown areas many times before, and worse, but this bozo is just letting all hang out. A puddle has formed in front of him in the middle of the sidewalk, and after he was done pissing, he lay down on the wall with two friends and went to sleep, his filthy little puddle of piss just waiting like a mine field for some kid to jump in or an unaware pedestrian to walk through. Do not think this kind of thing is uncommon. It must stop.

I haven't lived here very long, and I was shocked when I first saw someone peeing on the wall in the middle of downtown, with all these people standing around, ignoring him. It happens a lot. But what would you do if you had to go and had no home? There are not many public bathrooms downtown and they won't let homeless in to other places like restaurants where they do have bathrooms. Maybe a good solution is to put port-a-potties around? I don't blame someone for having to go in public if they have nowhere else to go. I agree it's gross and shouldn't be done near children, though.

I live downtown and I have bathroom "issues" due to gluten allergies (similar to IBS) and I find it very annoying that there aren't more places to go to the bathroom (sometimes running home is a bit too far). A big store like Ross should have one for their customers. They got rid of their bathroom and blame it on the homeless, when really they should just post a guard or something to make sure that only shoppers go there. I'm not the only one annoyed about this because I've found other shoppers who feel the same way.

The city should be doing something about this....

Suzanne Lanoue
http://suzann.com
Old December 6th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Keiki

One thing the city could do is something I saw in Atlanta. They have these meters where you can put money into them and they go to the city's homeless or welfare programs. That way you can help them without giving directly to the person (where you might worry that they are going to spend it on booze or drugs).

I know that there is a big homeless problem here, and it is worse than many other cities. However, I do want to say that the homeless here are very mild compared to other big cities that I've visited. They hardly ever beg for money or anything. They mostly just lie around or sit around (sometimes they're saying crazy things). They don't bother me when I walk by. They can be quite aggressive in other cities, not to mention dangerous.

Just sayin', they're not that bad compared to other cities I've been to, at least as far as I can tell. I live here, just moved here in August, but we live downtown so we see them a lot. I'm originally from San Diego. They didn't have many homeless there when we lived there in the 70's, but we've visited a lot since then and I have many relatives there. The homeless there and other cities we've been to like San Francisco, Atlanta, and New York, bother passers-by, including tourists, much more than anyone I've seen here. And those cities are a lot less safe, too.

I don't like the smells or the things I see any more than anyone else, but I also feel a lot of sympathy and sadness for the poor and homeless here. There are a lot of poor people here, and many of them are working poor (and there are working homeless, too). I feel, there but for the grace of god go I. Not every homeless person is a drunk, or drug addict, or crazy, but even so, that's not a good reason to be homeless. When I was growing up, no one even used that word "homeless". There may have been a few "bums" or "hobos" but no one ever knew any. That didn't happen until the 80's. America used to be a better place and took care more of its people.

I come from a poor family, and my dad was an alcoholic. Without his air force pension, he would have been homeless in his later years. I have two brothers that barely make a living and are one step from being homeless. I have other relatives that are very poor and at least one was living in her car for a while. Who knows what might have happened to me, with different choices? So this is why I feel compassion for anyone who is poor or homeless.

I think there are plenty of people who feel this way but also plenty who don't want to have homeless people around to scare off the tourists or because they don't like seeing them. Either way, there has to be a way to solve this problem nationwide and not just ship them off to another place.

Suzanne Lanoue
Old December 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Ali`i

YAY!

Too bad the $ donated would be misdirected and wasted (at best) for the most part, but the sentiment is needed.

While navigating various human debri around ChiTown recently I heard 2 mega bums mention the possibility of The City ever having the basic common sense and deceny of providing portable toilets around the area and (OMG!) maybe even putting in showers at nearby A'ala Park. While some will never care and always corrupt our senses when out and about most road scum would like to take better care of themselves and not live in their communal cesspool. I know I'd like to worry less about poopbombs along the trail.
Another POV was expressed in the Op-Eds this week by a re-visiting couple enjoying their Sunday stroll downtown and eventually having nature call only to discover NOTHING available anywhere, not even the Fort St. McD's (whom BTW will still not be providing restrooms when they finish recon... thanx for nothing!). They stated they'd not be back. Well played City/State jackholes!
Brings me to another point of how the treasure of Down/Chinatown is being absolutely disregarded, ingnored, and being wasted instead of heavily focusing on it ala Bourbon St. in N'Orleans and creating an awesome place to visit repeatedly, it's just STUPID. I'm in awe of the place and equally awed at how it's mostly stagnating when it could really thrive. Shameful.

The issues of homelessness here are mostly an easy fix even if short run costly, but nobody in power wants to actually solve the problems, if they did it would have been done long ago, even in Abe's admin. with his homeless czar. They only squeeze and squeeze the most vulnerable and never access viable alternatives or other improvements. We now have a head of public health (Oshiro) on a campaign against what he admits has never even shown to be a problem and will propose shutting down churches and such from providing meals in public under the guise of caring for public safety. I'd suggest it's pressure from the State Capital to continue efforts of eliminating any and all options the poor have in basic feeding except at Gmt. associated human warehouses where rogue managements corrupt the environments and anything goes except much good. People are suffering and our bigwigs are dumping on everybody but their pals.

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 6th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old December 6th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Ali`i

Sometimes, when you see a healthy looking younger person who is "homeless", it becomes easy to blame them for being lazy and/or choosing that way of life (with contributing factors being drugs and alcohol ... another "choice" they've made).

Until you read something like this in today's SA:

Quote:
Detectives have opened a murder investigation into the death of an 83-year-old homeless man who was taken to the hospital Tuesday with severe head injuries after he was beaten in Chinatown.
How can the US have 83 year olds as part of their homeless population? Surly there is a solution to help those "helpless homeless", such as the elderly.

And what type of person would kill an 83 year old homeless man?
Old December 6th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
... but this bozo is just letting all hang out. A puddle has formed in front of him in the middle of the sidewalk, and after he was done pissing, he lay down on the wall with two friends and went to sleep, his filthy little puddle of piss just waiting like a mine field for some kid to jump in or an unaware pedestrian to walk through. Do not think this kind of thing is uncommon. It must stop.
In that situation, you can call the police and file a complaint for public exposure. It is a criminal act, and the bozo can be arrested. Especially as parents, we need to protect our children from such lewd behavior. 9-1-1
Old December 7th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
I think there are plenty of people who feel this way but also plenty who don't want to have homeless people around to scare off the tourists or because they don't like seeing them. Either way, there has to be a way to solve this problem nationwide and not just ship them off to another place.
Susi'ana, you are not old enough to remember and most members of HT are not old enough to remember, but matapule remembers. It was President Ronald Reagan and his "compassionate conservatism" that eliminated Federal funding for mental health programs. He said it was the State's responsibility not the national government to take care of the mentally ill......without providing any funding for those programs. Reagan essentially decimated funding for mental health programs and we are reaping the "benefits" today.

Homelessness is a complex problem with varied reasons (not just mental illness) and no easy answers. However, withdrawing funding at the Federal, State, and local level has not provided a solution. If you are a religious person you should ask yourself, what would Jesus, or Yaweh, or Mohammed, or whoever...do.

Each of us is no better than the least of us.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old December 7th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post
Susi'ana, you are not old enough to remember and most members of HT are not old enough to remember, but matapule remembers. It was President Ronald Reagan and his "compassionate conservatism" that eliminated Federal funding for mental health programs. He said it was the State's responsibility not the national government to take care of the mentally ill......without providing any funding for those programs. Reagan essentially decimated funding for mental health programs and we are reaping the "benefits" today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtEmcruWTso
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
And what type of person would kill an 83 year old homeless man?
Suspect arrested. 18 years old. [Note: Not yet found guilty in a court of law]
Hawaii News Now:
Quote:
Police have arrested an 18-year-old accused of beating to death an 83-year-old homeless man in Chinatown.
RJ Marsolo of Palolo was arrested Tuesday afternoon in connection with the beating of Mamerto "Eddie" Semana last Wednesday, December 4.
The victim was found in Downtown Honolulu near the intersection of Kukui and River streets with severe head and face injuries. He was taken to the hospital in critical condition where he later died.
Old December 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Ali`i

In a small Missouri town with a mean and backwards thinking police force... http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/home...161904894.html
Old December 21st, 2013, 11:32 PM
Keiki

Cool Re: Homeless solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post

Homelessness is a complex problem with varied reasons (not just mental illness) and no easy answers. However, withdrawing funding at the Federal, State, and local level has not provided a solution. If you are a religious person you should ask yourself, what would Jesus, or Yaweh, or Mohammed, or whoever...do.

Each of us is no better than the least of us.
I'm wondering if you read what I wrote... first of all, I'm 52, so yes of course I remember Reagan and all he did. That's why I said in my post that there weren't many homeless people around when I was growing up.

I agree with all you're saying. I wonder why you think that I wouldn't, based on what I said, unless you only read part of it or misunderstood.

At any rate, while of course it is a national problem, I think most of us are most concerned with just dealing with the local problems, which are worse than most cities from what I've heard.

I'm not religious, but as I said, I feel very badly for all the poor and homeless. I wonder, since this is a blue state (i.e. Democrat and not Republican) why we don't take better care of people. I mean, we do have a great health care system, so why has no one raised taxes and provided funds to solve the problems of poverty here in Hawaii? This is paradise, right? It should be a liberal paradise as well.

Suzanne Lanoue
Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:11 PM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani

I think the simple answer is that everything "local" is political and therein lies the problem.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
I wonder, since this is a blue state why we don't take better care of people. I mean, we do have a great health care system, so why has no one raised taxes and provided funds to solve the problems of poverty here in Hawaii? It should be a liberal paradise as well.
It really is perplexing that we've become such an embarrassment to the world when true solutions are readily available but the will to do anything viable is totally absent, whine and mime is all our so-called leaders can do. Dem/Rep, it just isn't a priority except when it affects Waikiki and even then they still do nothing but flap their wings. The housing first plan can work for some but the problem is way beyond such attempts, it's a bandage on a burst artery. And then there's the monetary fraud that has already occurred (West side) and stifled much good out there, which is to be expected and yet where was sufficient oversight?
As someone mentioned in the SA's op/eds today, why can't available portable showers and laundry vehicles used only for disaster relief be used to help the worst offenders in these times of social disaster? They don't even put portable toilets around so tourists can relieve themselves and bums don't have to crap all over town, even tho many still will now that it's become the norm.
Chinatown is a trash covered gem being wasted and it's disgusting to watch our city devolve into a dump even as some try to improve the once crime/porno/hooker heavy area and worthy businesses attempt to make it there. It's absolutely stupid and inexcusable.

Caldwell and Abercrombie deserve to be tossed out asap if they continue to refuse these most basic needs.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 05:45 PM
Ali`i

Interesting to note the hypocritical and life-endangering difference in law enforcement between the obsessively biased attention to ADA requirements given the squatters once around Thomas Square and HPD's 'who cares?' attitude to those now encamped en mass along Iwilei Rd. at the Aala side of The Salvation Army building where all pedestrians are forced into the street to get past an entire block of tents and rubbish hogging the whole sidewalk. No option of taking the other side of the street as it's coned off for construction and probably has been for months. Nice to see our City/State officials and HPD turn a typical blind eye when they want to, despite the blatant perils, yet focus like a laser when crybaby's squawk. Such classic BS, and it'll be one helluva lawsuit we'll be paying for if someone get's hit because of this crap.
Old January 11th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Exclamation Re: Homeless solutions

The Iwilei encampment was cleared today. I took some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xLWa9DN-g
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Ali`i

Thanx for putting a face on it.
I'll bet the walkway remained unsuitable for standard use after the barrier tape was removed, with safe passage still lacking despite the tons of debris removed while awaiting the immediate return of the denizen's and their obstructions. It's this exact crowd that you will always be chasing away yet won't be going away, they are part of the hard core resistance to any shelter's rules andconformations or long term housing, and even my very doable ideas won't include the majority of these troublemakers. They ain't going anywhere except in a vicious cycle that will forever plague the communities, that's what we get for ignoring the gutter problems for so many decades.
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Ali`i

5 murders of innocent homeless Oahu street people in the last 6 mos., most accosted while sleeping. Yet Aberdumbie and Coldwell are silent and all our homeless Czar can muster is 'it's bad out there'? And the State's only focus is the marginal success potential of their 'housing first' initiative? These victim's blood is on the hands of all who have more than a voice to get something done yet piss in the wind instead of actually solving the problems to any real degree. How many more need to be killed before they stop stonewalling?
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Ali`i

Yesterday's SA ran a front page article about Waikiki's homeless and panhandling problems http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...y&id=241053471
It accurately portrayed some sidewalk ensconced vagrants pictured on the cover as incredibly stupid and in denial. They've all been around a long time and always seen in the same sad conditions. 3 beggar guys sat in obvious bad health and equally obvious that two were alcoholics with a third konked out with a very nasty leg infection. The 4th was a woman with her equally homeless dog, and the prerequisite cigarette, who did most of the talking and crying that "It's horrible, we see rich people, really fat ones walk by with pizza and they won't even give us a piece. People walk by and look at us like we are disgusting when they don't know anything about us. We're not hurting anyone. We're just sitting here".
No joke! The photo was indeed disgusting, and typical, you see the same thing all over Honolulu. But Waikiki tourism is becoming a 5 alarm disaster warning only because of $$$, not because of humanity or a desire to solve the problems any. The article also quoted Waikiki HPD Maj. Okimoto as saying "The generosity of the tourists bring them down as opposed to going to Kaimuki or Waialae-Kahala" Well, we know there's no panhandling or even any homeless ever seen in the Kahala area because cops hustle them out immediately and make sure they know not to come back.
Another discrepancy in upholding laws is the recent removal of all the shanties on Iwilei Rd. mentioned previously and pictured by Ryan, and they've not been allowed to come back. Why? Maybe because the newly finished high scale retirement apts. across the steet are ready to be sold and having a local version of Tijuana's old Cartonia right at their doorstep wouldn't go so well? It's the same all over, squatters stay en mass for months and then get chased out, only to come right back with no problems for more months. It's either illegal or not. Why is it selective enforcement? Why are HPD not doing their job enforcing laws any time they see laws being broken? Nothing new there, but it's total BS whenever it happens.
Maj. Okimoto also blamed the ACLU for the problems. Sweet.

In today's SA op-ed's Terry Joiner from Waialae-Kahala had a more sensitive question, that since the highly paid political big wigs havn't come up with jack, "Has anyone ever put together a committee of homeless people from the various groups identified and asked them how best to resolve it?" I kind of doubt that ever crossed most of their bloated minds.

Aberdopy's homeless Czar's Housing First plan, the only thing they had, has been stalled by sales of various properties, so now that's out. Just great.

Also in yesterday's SA Our View commentary http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...y&id=241052081 they decried the lack of movement by State officials despite the many emergency issues and laid out ideas that could help, but boosting funding to IHS isn't the best thot. Instead, a serious audit and investigation of that institution should be done immediately, it's loooong overdue. Other mentions were to further aid to veterans, and provide more shelters for those not accommodated by the few available. Then, once there's ample legitimate shelter is available they want HPD to enforce the laws. People seem to forget, or never know, that the only two shelters for single men on Oahu require monthly rent to live in their hell holes.

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 20th, 2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Ali`i

It's unbelievable what some people write into the paper concerning the homeless problem.
Richard Fucik of Ala Moana doesn't want the minimum wage upped because amongst other reasons it'll raise the unemployment rate and send jobs overseas, but suggests we "create many affordable 'transition' jobs, even if they are below minimum wage, the homeless would have a chance to get back on their feet".

Michael O'Hara of Kaneohe is another who wants to herd the unwashed masses and others off to Sand Island and into "free-form tent camping".

The simple answer to the majority of the issues is housing. Minimal, secure, private, housing. Nobody is going to get back on their feet living in a tent or being used as work fodder.
But it's obvious those in charge are not interested in solving the problem a bit, and too many of the public just can't grasp the realities of the situation.