• Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

ohmahgawdIgottahaveabouthreeofhtose!

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
      Holy shmageggies.
      I just want to start adding this phrase to my vocabulary.

Comment

Looks like crap. Talking NY here.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          I just want to start adding this phrase to my vocabulary.
          Feel free. Glad to contribute to the ever-growing global vocabulary of Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Hawaiian
            I would NEVER say WE are the best hot dog in Honolulu, but the readers of Honolulu Magazine did and voted Great Hawaiian the Best Hot Dog in the city for 2006.

Mike http://www.GreatHawaiian.com
            Yeah, well, there ain't no accountin' for taste.

Toss you up against any street vendor in NY and you would just wither, fold, and die.

Nothing personal. I must say you might do quite well here. Just don't even think of crossing the Pacific.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              ohmahgawdIgottahaveabouthreeofhtose!
              Why---fresh out of ipecac?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                Scrivener, how ironic! We tried the exact same thing today (first time), except our visit was at Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Co.'s cart located at Hilo Hattie's Nimitz location.

Here's a cutaway view of my Sirloin Steak Dog, including the "Secret Garlic Sauce"....
                [
                My opinion differed a bit though. Visit link below (blog) for my full review, including a few more pics.
                I was thinking the white crap was something else. Double eeeeew.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  Das wat made those N.Y. Hot Dogs so ono and special cause they were Crunchy! Bursting with flavor!

Auntie Lynn
                  Yep---they POP. Natural-casing hot dogs. NY style.

I have a few packages in the freezer.

Comment

Yep---they POP. Natural-casing hot dogs. NY style.

I have a few packages in the freezer.
                    Buss it out 'den! Hit Kailua beach wit' da Hibachi and da' coolah'.

Strictly mustard and Sauerkraut for me, thanks.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

WWOahuRN: My 16 year old daughter recently announced to me that she'd love to travel to NYC one day -- for the Arts scene? Theater? Shopping?

Nope. To try an honest-to-goodness NYC street vendor hot dog.

She made it very clear she didn't mean that she just wanted to try hot dogs from New York -- but that she wanted to GO THERE and get one from a street vendor.

Given my budget, I think the Kailua Foodland import you've mentioned will have to do for now.

How would you suggest we cook and dress them? Grill? Boil? Mustard? (Yellow? Dijon?) Sauerkraut? Please to educate me in the presentation of a proper Big Apple dog.
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

My opinion differed a bit though. Visit link below (blog) for my full review, including a few more pics.
                        Just checked out your blog---nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                          WWOahuRN: My 16 year old daughter recently announced to me that she'd love to travel to NYC one day -- for the Arts scene? Theater? Shopping?

Nope. To try an honest-to-goodness NYC street vendor hot dog.

She made it very clear she didn't mean that she just wanted to try hot dogs from New York -- but that she wanted to GO THERE and get one from a street vendor.

Given my budget, I think the Kailua Foodland import you've mentioned will have to do for now.

How would you suggest we cook and dress them? Grill? Boil? Mustard? (Yellow? Dijon?) Sauerkraut? Please to educate me in the presentation of a proper Big Apple dog.
                          Grilled. Some vendors boil them but IMHO, a lot of flavor is lost. You could pan-fry them too. Some like to grill them until they pop, but I like to take them off the grill just before they split---much juicier. And as Auntie said, they are indeed "crunchy."

Grill the bun, or not. Yellow mustard, or some other kind if you hate yellow mustard. Or no mustard at all. Sauerkraut if you like it. That's about it. My husband likes them naked, I like them lightly dressed. To each his own. There are no laws, except for maybe No Ketchup.

A note about the Boar's Head hotdogs---they come in two styles. Natural casing, which is, well, encased naturally. And skinless. Skinless still taste good but are definitely NOT the real NY hotdog you're looking for. Lacking Auntie's "crunch."

$7.59/lb. They're sold by the pound because they're random sizes--separated by string, like real links. About eight to a pound.

Not cheap but cheaper than a flight to NY.

Comment

Buss it out 'den! Hit Kailua beach wit' da Hibachi and da' coolah'.

Strictly mustard and Sauerkraut for me, thanks.
                            LOL---I checked. Total of 14 in there.

What are you going to eat?

Comment

LOL---I checked. Total of 14 in there.

What are you going to eat?
                              LOL!
                              There are five in my family -- so that works out to ... Mommy getting one less than everybody else, as usual.

Nah -- j/k about the mad face. Sacrifice is part of the motherhood gig ... and besides, I don't need the extra fat, calories, etc.

Thanks for the prep/dressing advice!
                              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I checked. Total of 14 in there. What are you going to eat?
                                A No-sodium, vegetarian "hospital food" hot dog on whole wheat bun and no condiments with prunes on the side, served by you, the RN. Yummy!

I see Erika's daughter's point about insisting on the total NYC hot dog "experience". No matter how original it may be in the supermarket at Kailua Foodland, eating it on the beautiful blue sky, white sandy Lanikai beach just wouldn't validate it.

You need the complete NYC "ambiance": Concrete canyons, smog, gray skies, subways and passing motorists yelling expletives at each other. Then the cart vendor asks you, "What the #*()ck you want on your #$cing hot *##ck**ing dog?".

The next best thing I can think of, would be to get a NYC dog here and eat on the streets of Waikiki.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X